Arbeloa heading back to spain?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:04 am

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4393583.ece

Benítez may also be about to lose Álvaro Arbeloa, who was expected to start the new season as first-choice right back. Arbeloa has performed consistently since a £2.6million move from Deportivo La Coruña in January 2007, but it emerged yesterday that the 25-year-old plans to return to Spain for personal reasons. Benítez has two other options at right back, but, given that Steve Finnan has been offered to Villa as a makeweight in the Barry deal and that Philipp Degen is unproven, the loss of Arbeloa would be keenly felt.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpo....1403408

"One player likely to leave Anfield in the near future, however, is Arbeloa, who is understood to want a return to his homeland for personal reasons.

Liverpool should have no problems in cashing in on the defender, whose stock is at an all-time high following his part in helping Spain win the European Championships last month."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport....er.html

"It does appear though that one Spain international, full-back Arbeloa, will be departing the club, with the 25 year old said to be leaving Merseyside due to unspecified personal reasons."

Must admit didnt see this one coming, his mrs must want to move back to Spain.

Because I cant see rafa wanting to sell him when he is prepared to let Finnan go and I think he was really happy here.
Last edited by Ciggy on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:10 am

If this is true,it could throw a huge spanner in the works and have a bad effect on other transfers!
We will have a conundrum on our hands..Keep Finnan and have Degen as back up or get a new RB in if Finnan is to leave!

Theres no way we can afford a good right back as well as Barry and Keane i'd say!
Unless Rafa can pull off a swap using Arbeloa to get in a Spanish RB.

Why now though?i dont get it!
Surely if he wanted to leave he would have said so sooner giving Rafa more time to get a replacement in!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:27 am

I say Arbeloa + Alonso = Sergio Ramos
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:49 am

Both a shockand a shame if he does go,very handy player IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:17 am

JoeTerp wrote:I say Arbeloa + Alonso = Sergio Ramos

I doubt he would want to leave Real.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:20 am

He is a good player, and versatile, but he is not World class and if we could improve on him then I would be happy.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:28 am

bavlondon wrote:

I doubt he would want to leave Real.

isn't he like best mates with Nando?
JoeTerp

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:33 am

Dream on Joe .......................
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:40 am

Ciggy wrote:

says the poster with David Villa in a home kit in their signature   :D
JoeTerp

Postby andy_g » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:01 am

well something must have happened pretty suddenly for the news to come out all at once in the some of the (relatively) more reliable corners of the media. we've never had an inkling of these personal issues before so i'm wondering what can have happened. he always seems one of the happier and more likeable members of the squad...

unless we can get someone else in of equal or better standard sharpish we'll miss him. that replacement will have to be just as versatile aswell. no matter how much many of us hate the options and possibilities stance that benitez has we still need players like arbeloa who can competently perform in a number of positions.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:04 am

JoeTerp wrote:
Ciggy wrote:

says the poster with David Villa in a home kit in their signature   :D

ha ha you got me there, but Its a possibilty No?  :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:20 am

andy_g wrote:well something must have happened pretty suddenly for the news to come out all at once in the some of the (relatively) more reliable corners of the media. we've never had an inkling of these personal issues before so i'm wondering what can have happened. he always seems one of the happier and more likeable members of the squad...

unless we can get someone else in of equal or better standard sharpish we'll miss him. that replacement will have to be just as versatile aswell. no matter how much many of us hate the options and possibilities stance that benitez has we still need players like arbeloa who can competently perform in a number of positions.

I'm pretty shocked at the news to be honest, I never thought he would feel homesick or would have any personal issues.

but fair enough, Rafa will find him a suitable club to join and we can get a better replacement for him.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:45 am

I'm not particularly bothered to be honest, he's not that amazing a right back and we have ok cover in that position anyway, Carra can play there, Degan was bought to play there plus there must surely be one of the many many youngsters Rafa has bought who can play there. Also with the cash we make we can surely go out and buy another right back so what's the problem?
heimdall

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:00 am

heimdall wrote:I'm not particularly bothered to be honest, he's not that amazing a right back and we have ok cover in that position anyway, Carra can play there, Degan was bought to play there plus there must surely be one of the many many youngsters Rafa has bought who can play there. Also with the cash we make we can surely go out and buy another right back so what's the problem?

Degen will have to be weaned in cant be throwing him in the first game of the season, Dossena needs to lose a bit of beef before he starts playing 90 minutes in the prem.

Arby is verstatile as a left and right back but he was dreadfull as a central defender had me nerves gone.

Finnan is not what he used to be Mr Reliable hence Rafa wanting to get rid.

We need the money for other positions not one that we thought we had cover enough in.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:09 am

heimdall wrote:plus there must surely be one of the many many youngsters Rafa has bought who can play there.

Darby
JoeTerp

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill