Arbeloa heading back to spain?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:06 pm

I think Rafa will play Carragher at right back. I think he likes Skyrtel, who will play alongsie Agger. Carragher is not really your attacking full back, (and in fairness Kuyt in front of him is not really your attacking right midfielder either) but both Keane and Gerrard will drift right and provide enough danger to be getting along with. It's worth remembering that its looking likely that we are about to swap a striker, albeit a creative one for Gerrard as support striker in our first choice line up. By definition this will make us a little more offensive as Gerrard is hardly likely top take up Xabi's position of being within twenty yards of Masherano all game. To compensate, Rafa who is by nature a defence minded coach would IMHO have no problem with playing Carra, a no nonsense defender at right back. It just redresses the balance a bit for me.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:46 pm

i don't know, mick. i can't remember the source but there was definitely an interview or two a little while back where benitez was talking about wanting more attacking play from the fullbacks, and that degen and dossena had been brought in with exactly that in mind. obviously as with everything it could be a smokescreen, a misquote or a downright lie. i guess if we see any purchasing of wingers going on or not it might give us a better idea of how much he'll be expecting from the full backs.

personally, as much as i like skrtel myself, i'd like to see carra and agger reestablished as the central pairing.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:29 am

bigmick wrote:Since we're on a "you can quote me on that" day, we won't get 6 million for him. If we could sell to an English club then maybe, just maybe. But to a Spanish club, no more than 3.5 million pounds, and you can etc etc.

Doing a Sabre.
LFC2007

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:49 am

Well you started it mate :D At least I understood the reference the first time around and didn't launch into you like that other fella :D Someone's got Sabes's quote on their signature which is a bit cheeky. I supose to get in the spirit of the reverse hexing (as I note that Sabes says as a matter of course now that ALL Spaniards won't cut it and you can quote him) I really ought to be saying that I fully expect Rafa will rotate even more this season than last  :cool:
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:46 am

The Dail Mail is reporting that Arbeloa isn't going anywhere according to a senior club source.

EXCLUSIVE: Spanish defender Arbeloa 'definitely, definitely' staying at Liverpool

By Chris Brereton
Last updated at 11:07 AM on 29th July 2008

Alvaro Arbeloa is 'definitely, definitely' staying at Anfield despite rumours that he is unsettled on Merseyside.

Media reports have linked the Spanish right-back with a move back to La Liga after just one season in a Liverpool shirt.

Yet a senior club source said all speculation was unfounded and that the 25-year-old defender will still be with the Reds next season.

Arbeloa’s £2.5million purchase from Deportivo La Coruna last year was one of Benitez's shrewdest signings and the club official insisted he is happy and that Liverpool fans has nothing to worry about.

The source said: 'I don't know where that came from about Arbeloa, but it is nothing.

'He is definitely, definitely staying here. He is happy and will be staying.'

Hopefully that'll put an end to that story (not bloody likely though!) and we can get on shaping the defence for the coming season.

Linky
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:35 pm

almost as good a news as signing keane
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aranha » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Arbeloa has showed he can cut the mustard. I recall Messi looking quite ordinary against him in the CL, I hope he stays:)
aranha

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Pity felt that if we sold him could have gotten a  profit out of him and could have signed a better right back , rafinha whom i think is also younger . Very versatile player but a back up at best , good fight next season between him , degen and finnan
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 pm

aranha wrote:Arbeloa has showed he can cut the mustard. I recall Messi looking quite ordinary against him in the CL, I hope he stays:)

To be fair, Messi was still recovering from injury during that game, but Arbeloa is still a pretty reliable FB.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 pm

Glad Arbeloa is staying as he's an important squad player for us.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:27 am

I really don't think Arbeloa is all that good, truth be told. I think he was stuffed a bit too easily by opposition wingers last season, and got dragged into the centre again too easily. He doesn't seem to have a whole lot of pace either.
As someone said here already, a good squad player, but hardly one to inspire fear of what he can do, in the opponent's minds..
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:32 pm

glad he's staying, but lets not kid ourselves...he's hardly world class.  A solid squad player, yes, nothing more.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC_BIRD » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:41 pm

I think it might actually happen this time

[url=http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item281874/Real-Madrid-want-Liverpool’s-Arbeloa/]http://www.espnstar.com/footbal....Arbeloa[/url]

But if we get £8million for him I wouldn't be too disappointed
LFC_BIRD

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:49 am

Good deal and a 5 million profit but i think we could push madrid for 10 million
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:58 am

LFC2007 wrote:I think £6m would be a fantastic price, £8m would be an astronomical.

This remains true one year later.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill