Signing of the summer so far. - Neck on the block time.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Still pretty happy with my choices. I reckon if we'd signed Tevez and Bent instead of Aquilani and Johnson, we'd have more points than we've got now. Infact I'm certain of it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:55 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:Cheap ,James McCarthy Excellent young midfielder highly rated and much sought after  Wigan have got a real bargain.

He looks a real good player to me. Shame we didn't take him after he came on trial.
LFC2007

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:05 pm

In terms of value for money, Richard Dunne by Martin O'Neill looks to be the best summer buy.

Deal of the season though could turn out to be Adam Johnson to Man City for 7 million, although obviously he wasn't a summer buy.

I'll stand by Santa Cruz as flop of the season, you could see it coming.  18 million for a player who was never ever going to get a regular game there.  Not really his fault, money wasted though.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:25 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:Cheap ,James McCarthy Excellent young midfielder highly rated and much sought after  Wigan have got a real bargain.

He looks a real good player to me. Shame we didn't take him after he came on trial.

Has the capabilities to be one of the best mate ,his delivery and speed of thought are exceptional , reminds me of Schole's in his pomp ,seriously missed the boat on that one
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Adam Johnson - very good signing.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:32 pm

red37 wrote:Adam Johnson - very good signing.

Is he the guy LeeJ knows who wanted to come to us?

I agree, he's been fantastic so far.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Kranjcar for the bargain price of 2,5 million has to get a mention I think (and probably already has further back in this thread though I can't be bothered to check up on it :D). Has done very well for Spurs and scored some important goals along the way.
JamCar05

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:53 pm

seems my pick doyle scored a pretty important goal last night
Benny The Noon

Postby Fauxy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Darren Bent

Sunderland would be down there with Pourtsmouth if it wasnt for him.
Fauxy

Postby bigmick » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 pm

bigmick wrote:Just wondering what everyone was thinking of the various pieces of transfer business conducted in the Premiership so far this Summer.

Just for fun, which transfer do you think will prove to be the shrewdest piece of business in three categories, expensive, mid range, and cheap. Also, we could have a blooper section, the one which has been a disaster.

Here's my go.

Expensive: Carlos Tevez. I was gutted we couldn't get him to be honest, and in fairness to the manager I think if we could have, he would have. He would be able to fill in for EITHER Gerrard or Torres, would give you the option of going 4-4-2 in the odd game, and could play wide midfield either side. Don't listen to Fergusons bullsh!t about him not being worth 25 mill, why did he try and sign him then? Absolute nailed on certainty to be a good player for City, the only variable is whether Hughes can keep the the train on track. My guess is they'll come fourth, but that won't be quite enough for Tevez and he'll be off next Summer, hopefully to us.

Mid range: Darren Bent. Don't laugh, but I've always rated this lad. Decent in the air, plays off the shoulder well, good finisher and a good pro. For about 13-15 mill he'll repay that by scoring enough goals to keep Sunderland comfortably in the Premiership. My old man tells me he was the top Premiership goalscorer outside the top four last season, and although he's probably talking b0ll0cks it confirms my opinion that Bent is a good player. One step backwards to go three steps forward for his career, I take Bent to shine in the North East.

Nice to get something right for a change. Bent is the signing of the summer according to Tom Dart in the Times, Tevez is number two  :buttrock .

2. Carlos Tevez (Media Sports Investments to Manchester City, £47m)
The transfer fee is even more inflated than Jose Mourinho's sense of self-worth, but Tevez was still an excellent buy for City. It annoyed Manchester United fans, Tevez has scored a ton of goals and been consistently excellent, and his spat with Gary Neville introduced us to a new insult: "sock-sucker".

1. Darren Bent (Tottenham Hotspur to Sunderland, £10m)
Harry Redknapp didn't rate him much. Harry Redknapp was wrong. An outstanding finisher, Bent has plundered 24 goals to save Sunderland's season and is surely the best Englishman who won't be going to the World Cup finals.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 pm

I think I was more or less spot on " Whoever buys Bent (sorry Mick) I think he is a one trick pony, and no matter where he goes he will fail. " :D

I did ok with Tevez though ......
account deleted by request

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Both were always likely to do well. Tevez because he was/is obviously world class. Bent because he's always been a good player and at Sunderland he was a guaranteed starter. You'd be surprised if they didn't do well, TBH.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion