Signing of the summer so far. - Neck on the block time.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:30 am

bigmick wrote:I know Conn I'll have to be careful. BTW, from what I gather it could be 8 in 8 games if he's awarded one that was a deflection against Hull. I've seen it and reckon it's nailed on. Apparantly he's only worth 6 million quid though ???

I must say though, mick...... I never thought that he was good enough for a top 4 club.... How wrong could I have been. He's shown that, if properly utilised, he's a very good player.

6 Million? A snip by today's standards. Good on the lad....

Watch out for the Arsenal centre back, Vermuleen or something. He's making a mockery of the loss of Toure. Very, very good player that one.
ConnO'var

Postby bigmick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 am

ConnO'var wrote:Watch out for the Arsenal centre back, Vermuleen or something. He's making a mockery of the loss of Toure. Very, very good player that one.

What gets me about him though Conn, is they paid 10 million quid for him. He was the captain of Ajax at 22 and a Belgium International (I'd never heard of him myself but it's not my job to know about these things), and now he's arrived he's got a goalscoring record from centre half which is better than Kuyt had up top, and is a decent defender too.

Why the feck was nobody else in for him? It's not like he was bought out of some village in Western Africa like a lot of Wengers buys.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:57 am

Have you registered here yet mick :D

Just for Mick
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:28 pm

Is that the Bent fan club :D I haven't yet mate but I'm gonna do soon.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:42 pm

Its not really the offical bent fan club - he doesnt have one - not high profile enough for one :;):

its some bebo page some girl has set up declaring it a bent club or something
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:57 pm

GYBS wrote:Its not really the offical bent fan club - he doesnt have one - not high profile enough for one :;):

No you're right mmate. Only players who are woth more than 6 million quid have fan clubs  :;):
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:46 am

bigmick wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Watch out for the Arsenal centre back, Vermuleen or something. He's making a mockery of the loss of Toure. Very, very good player that one.

What gets me about him though Conn, is they paid 10 million quid for him. He was the captain of Ajax at 22 and a Belgium International (I'd never heard of him myself but it's not my job to know about these things), and now he's arrived he's got a goalscoring record from centre half which is better than Kuyt had up top, and is a decent defender too.

Why the feck was nobody else in for him? It's not like he was bought out of some village in Western Africa like a lot of Wengers buys.

Thomas Vermaelen... yes a class player...

we just have to concede that Wenger can see things other managers could not...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:31 am

bigmick wrote:

feck knows....

Wenger has a gift for finding diamonds in the rough..... He's proven it time and time again. The man and his scouting team must be the envy of many teams all around Europe. What an eye he's got.
ConnO'var

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:04 pm

bigmick wrote:Just wondering what everyone was thinking of the various pieces of transfer business conducted in the Premiership so far this Summer.

Just for fun, which transfer do you think will prove to be the shrewdest piece of business in three categories, expensive, mid range, and cheap. Also, we could have a blooper section, the one which has been a disaster.

Here's my go.

Expensive: Carlos Tevez. I was gutted we couldn't get him to be honest, and in fairness to the manager I think if we could have, he would have. He would be able to fill in for EITHER Gerrard or Torres, would give you the option of going 4-4-2 in the odd game, and could play wide midfield either side. Don't listen to Fergusons bullsh!t about him not being worth 25 mill, why did he try and sign him then? Absolute nailed on certainty to be a good player for City, the only variable is whether Hughes can keep the the train on track. My guess is they'll come fourth, but that won't be quite enough for Tevez and he'll be off next Summer, hopefully to us.

Mid range: Darren Bent. Don't laugh, but I've always rated this lad. Decent in the air, plays off the shoulder well, good finisher and a good pro. For about 13-15 mill he'll repay that by scoring enough goals to keep Sunderland comfortably in the Premiership. My old man tells me he was the top Premiership goalscorer outside the top four last season, and although he's probably talking b0ll0cks it confirms my opinion that Bent is a good player. One step backwards to go three steps forward for his career, I take Bent to shine in the North East.

Cheap: Hard one for me this, as I don't get quite so much upto date news living over here. The obvious choice is Owen to Man Utd, and if he stays anything like fit then he'll walk it. I'll go out ona  limb though and go for Lars Jocabsen who Blackburn picked up on a free. He's a Danish International, has a bit of experience and was unlucky in his first season at Everton, picking up an injury and not breaking into the first team till the end of March. He came on as sub in the FA Cup final though, and I think he'll be a shrewd purchase by big Sam yeah :buttrock.

For the blooper, I'm going to go for Roque Santa cruz. I think he'll spend much of the season injured and will flop. If we sign David Silva for a huge fee though, I'm afraid to say that he would replace the City forward so convinced am I that he would be lost in the Premiership.

I probably should give an honorable mention to Glen Johnson as well, who I think will be an absolutely fantastic signing and well worth the money.

Where's that pat on the back machine Bob had when you need it. 13 league goals for Bent now, an unbelieveable performance in a pretty ordinary Sunderland team. I'm also reasonably happy with Tevez and Jacobsen too.

Gizza job   :D
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:44 am

From my expert point of view  :laugh:

Id say Craig Bellamy has been the signing of the season so far, but i no nothing :;):
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:42 am

Aquilani
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:06 pm

hits: Richard Dunne, James Milner, Torres and Thomas Vermaelen.
flops: Voronin, Babel, Dossena, Petr Cech, Eduardo and the Ferdinand brothers.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Greavesie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:16 pm

Darren Bent for me
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby roberto green » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:47 pm

made in UK wrote:Aquilani

I was coming in the thread to say Aqualani.

boo

:D
roberto green

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Dunne and bellamy have been fantastic , bent as been as well even on my fm team , top scorer in the league and got me into europe :D , fantastic piece of business by steve bruce
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion