Signing of the summer so far. - Neck on the block time.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:42 pm

He scores goals against top teams too. Two league goals in two starts for Darren Bent as he opens the scoring for Sunderland against Chelsea. Unfortunately it proves to be not enough as Chelsea come back in the second half to win 3-1.

I'm sticking with my pre season predictions about Bent being a top signing.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Well Presumeably if Bent had scored 51 in 101 Premiership starts after getting the winner away to Bolton, he's now 54 goals in 105 Premiership starts after scoring twice today. Four from five this season and is continuing to do what he's always done. This is regardless of who he is playing for as well. His record would be excellent if he was playing for Chelsea or Man Utd, but when you consider that the majority of his appearances have been for Charlton, with about a third for Spurs (when they were a long way from being a top six team) and a few for Sunderland, it's nothing short of astounding.

By all accounts they paid 10 million quid for him (though I must confess I'm not aware of the intricacies of the "add ons", how much they paid up front etc etc, it was just 10 million by all reports), and I maintain my view that they've absolutely stolen him. I still say he'll be no more than 18 months at Sunderland before a big move somewhere else. Arsenal is my somewhat out of left field prediction.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:03 am

It's a marathon not a sprint. There's plenty of time left to pat yourself on the back.
LFC2007

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:17 pm

bigmick wrote:Cheap: Hard one for me this, as I don't get quite so much upto date news living over here. The obvious choice is Owen to Man Utd, and if he stays anything like fit then he'll walk it. I'll go out ona  limb though and go for Lars Jocabsen who Blackburn picked up on a free. He's a Danish International, has a bit of experience and was unlucky in his first season at Everton, picking up an injury and not breaking into the first team till the end of March. He came on as sub in the FA Cup final though, and I think he'll be a shrewd purchase by big Sam yeah :buttrock.

Looks like you made a very shrewd choice there, he's doing really well for them by all accounts. Not bad for a freebie.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby yolz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Expensive : Tevez
                 Whiskey Nose was desperate to keep him but his pride got in the way
                 And old rudolf the red nosed :censored: can't stand to have anyone not marching to his tune in Manure
Mid : Glen Johnson
        How many seasons have we lamented not having a decent wingback?
        Building a dynasty is about bringing together players that will form the backbone of a team that is capable of challenging for honours year in year out
        I hope that Glen Johnson proves to be another sammy
Low : Owen
         Hands down, no contest at all in my opinion.
         With the world cup just around the corner, Owen knows that this is probably his last chance to make something of a career wracked with injuries and recover some of the past glories
          Although I'm gutted that he'll be doing what he does best in a Manure shurt
Blooper : Adebayor
             No questions about his ability
             But spending another 25 million on another striker when you already have a full roster of forwards?
Last edited by yolz on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:29 pm

Yossi_Benaloon wrote:
bigmick wrote:Cheap: Hard one for me this, as I don't get quite so much upto date news living over here. The obvious choice is Owen to Man Utd, and if he stays anything like fit then he'll walk it. I'll go out ona  limb though and go for Lars Jocabsen who Blackburn picked up on a free. He's a Danish International, has a bit of experience and was unlucky in his first season at Everton, picking up an injury and not breaking into the first team till the end of March. He came on as sub in the FA Cup final though, and I think he'll be a shrewd purchase by big Sam yeah :buttrock.

Looks like you made a very shrewd choice there, he's doing really well for them by all accounts. Not bad for a freebie.

Yep thanks mate he's done Ok so far, but as LFC pointed out it is early days yet I guess.

It's never easy though finding freebies who aren't Bosmans on huge salaries (so therefore not really freebies) and Allardyce (Big Sam yeah :buttrock) is better at it than most. This will be one of his better ones I think.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:12 pm

bigmick wrote:
bigmick wrote:No offence mate but it always makes me laugh when people say "I would have taken such and such at X amount of money (usually about half of what they're transfered for)". People say, "well I'd have paid 4 million for Glen Johnson but not a penny more" and expect you to take them seriously. You wouldn't have paid 4 million for Johnson, or 5 million for Bent, because their respective clubs wouldn't have sold them to you. If Bent isn't worth 12 mill in your opinion, absolutely fair enough but you wouldn't "have paid six". The market decides the value of a player, and if Pompey for instance said Glen Johnson was for sale at 12 million quid, there'd have been eight different clubs prepared to pay it. If Tottenham said Bent was available for 5 million, I should think every team in the Premiership would have bid for him, literally.

Anyway, if you think 12 is way too much that's all fair enough and you may well be right. I'm very confident that 12 will look cheap this time next year, and I've no doubts you'll remind me if I'm wrong, and obviously likewise   :D.

I think we were all wrong by all accounts, as it appears the fee bandied about for darren Bent was 10 million quid. I know I'm counting my chickens before the eggs even been laid here never mind hatched, but as I've said earlier on this thread I've always liked this lad.

He got the winner for Sunderland yesterday and could have had a couple more, and I'm absolutely convinced he'll look like a steal quite quickly at that price. I'd have taken him like a shot as our Torres cover/occasional second striker.

One from one, and a winner at that. A good start for the fella.

Rubbish Mick, Bent only cost me 7 mil in the fantasy league and he's been awesome!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:59 am

john craig wrote:
bigmick wrote:
bigmick wrote:No offence mate but it always makes me laugh when people say "I would have taken such and such at X amount of money (usually about half of what they're transfered for)". People say, "well I'd have paid 4 million for Glen Johnson but not a penny more" and expect you to take them seriously. You wouldn't have paid 4 million for Johnson, or 5 million for Bent, because their respective clubs wouldn't have sold them to you. If Bent isn't worth 12 mill in your opinion, absolutely fair enough but you wouldn't "have paid six". The market decides the value of a player, and if Pompey for instance said Glen Johnson was for sale at 12 million quid, there'd have been eight different clubs prepared to pay it. If Tottenham said Bent was available for 5 million, I should think every team in the Premiership would have bid for him, literally.

Anyway, if you think 12 is way too much that's all fair enough and you may well be right. I'm very confident that 12 will look cheap this time next year, and I've no doubts you'll remind me if I'm wrong, and obviously likewise   :D.

I think we were all wrong by all accounts, as it appears the fee bandied about for darren Bent was 10 million quid. I know I'm counting my chickens before the eggs even been laid here never mind hatched, but as I've said earlier on this thread I've always liked this lad.

He got the winner for Sunderland yesterday and could have had a couple more, and I'm absolutely convinced he'll look like a steal quite quickly at that price. I'd have taken him like a shot as our Torres cover/occasional second striker.

One from one, and a winner at that. A good start for the fella.

Rubbish Mick, Bent only cost me 7 mil in the fantasy league and he's been awesome!

I think you're talking pre "add ons" mate  :laugh: . He'll keep being "awesome" though John I think, it wouldn't surprise me if he got 18+ league goals if he stays fit.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:29 pm

bigmick wrote:
Yossi_Benaloon wrote:

Yep thanks mate he's done Ok so far, but as LFC pointed out it is early days yet I guess.

It's never easy though finding freebies who aren't Bosmans on huge salaries (so therefore not really freebies) and Allardyce (Big Sam yeah :buttrock) is better at it than most. This will be one of his better ones I think.

Looks like he's keeping one of Sams big money bosmans out of the side, though! (Salgado)
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Owzat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:58 pm

bigmick wrote:
stmichael wrote:I see Bent is looking like going to Sunderland for £14m.

Ok the price may be excessive but his scoring record is actually very good when he starts games, a bit like Crouch. I'd have taken him. Certainly better than any other of our striking options outside Torres and can also play upfront on his own.

Me too, good player. He'll score aplenty to keep them up comfortably, and will be going to a much bigger club within 18 months is my tip.

I think Bent is much under-rated, although what spudz paid for him was OTT but perhaps no more than most of the silly money signings that go on and simply reflects the silly nature of the transfer market these days. There are good players available at sensible prices, the problem is clubs too readily open themselves up to pay over the odds by pursuing interest where the selling club either doesn't want to sell or is after big compensation. Maybe half the summer signings of £15m+ are worth anywhere near that sum
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:57 pm

I think it has to be Vermaelen having seen him on Saturday. What a good player he is by the way. His second goal reminded me of something Daniel Agger could produce.

£10m for him when Lescott cost £24m is a snip.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm thinking a few that might make it into a best signing XI would include Barry (always said £18m was 1.5x what he might be worth), Kranjcar, Bent and Vermaelen. Throw in Owen because of his lack of fee and I reckon that could be a decent top five. Just wish we'd picked up one or two of those, perhaps not Barry simply because we'd have paid over the odds if he'd come here. Maybe the leprechaun simply loves robbing us blind after dumping Heskey on us for £11m
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Yes Barry is a very good player, far from "sh!te" which many on here claimed when we were in for him. His goal against the Mancs was agood example of the fact that despite being deep lying and a nice passer (kind of a poor mans Alonso I guess) he does posess much more mobility than Xabi. The position he received the ball in once Trevez had robbed their keeper was clear indication of that. On the question of O'Neill, I reckon once Citeh had gone as high as 23 million for Lescott I'll bet he was kicking himself that he didn't dig his heels in on Barry. They paid 12, would they have paid 16 or 17? I reckon they would yes, even though he only had a year to run. A little like Alonso going to Madrid, there was a contrast between what the player was actually worth and what they player was worth TO THEM. On that score, unfortunately it's looking like Xabi might have been worth that TO US as well  :D (making the likes of Lando more correct about his worht to the team than the likes of me) but that's just unfortunate as he wanted to leave. His "loss" to us will hopefully be reduced if Aquilani is a decent player.

Vermeelan has made a quite astounding start from a goalscoring point of view, and apparently is defensively a good player too. How on Earth Wenger can sign the likes of him and Arshavin for the money he does, absolutely unopposed by any other club is a constant mystery to me. I couldn't have put him in my "signings of the Summer" because I'd absolutely never heard of him. That said, as is constantly put to me I sell dildo's for a living and live on the other side of the World so perhaps I've got a reasonable excuse. All the Premiership managers and scouts though presumeably had heard of the Ajax captain and Belgian International, so where they were when he was available for 10 million feck knows.

Owens goal at the weekend probably was worth his years salary on it's own, and probably if he never scored another goal for them is vindication of them signing him. I thought it was very strange at the time when we didn't take him on a free, and I still do.

krankjaar looks cheap but hasn't done anything yet, and on the admittedly very flimsy evidence of the first few matches there are two stand outs (other than Varmeelan).

Firstly was one that all of us except Ace doubted, Emmanuel Adebayor. He really does look good since he went there, and if Hughes can at least dilute his c...ish tendencies he's got one of the best strikers in the league there. The other obvious standout is Darren Bent. Five goals in six league games and counting. These two along with our own Glen Johnson look like top pieces of business.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Vermaelen
Bent
Johnson so far and can see Doyle doing well at Wolves
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:17 pm

One reservation about vermaelen is that he's been conspicuously amongst the goals and therefore is an easy pick for "best buy" , but has he actually done his job in defence ?

arsenal are leaking goals (almost) as badly as we are. :p

When the "oh my god look a CB has scored a few!" factor runs out (could also be called The Lescott Effect), will their defense be any better?

wait and see i guess
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion