Signing of the summer so far. - Neck on the block time.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:24 am

Just wondering what everyone was thinking of the various pieces of transfer business conducted in the Premiership so far this Summer.

Just for fun, which transfer do you think will prove to be the shrewdest piece of business in three categories, expensive, mid range, and cheap. Also, we could have a blooper section, the one which has been a disaster.

Here's my go.

Expensive: Carlos Tevez. I was gutted we couldn't get him to be honest, and in fairness to the manager I think if we could have, he would have. He would be able to fill in for EITHER Gerrard or Torres, would give you the option of going 4-4-2 in the odd game, and could play wide midfield either side. Don't listen to Fergusons bullsh!t about him not being worth 25 mill, why did he try and sign him then? Absolute nailed on certainty to be a good player for City, the only variable is whether Hughes can keep the the train on track. My guess is they'll come fourth, but that won't be quite enough for Tevez and he'll be off next Summer, hopefully to us.

Mid range: Darren Bent. Don't laugh, but I've always rated this lad. Decent in the air, plays off the shoulder well, good finisher and a good pro. For about 13-15 mill he'll repay that by scoring enough goals to keep Sunderland comfortably in the Premiership. My old man tells me he was the top Premiership goalscorer outside the top four last season, and although he's probably talking b0ll0cks it confirms my opinion that Bent is a good player. One step backwards to go three steps forward for his career, I take Bent to shine in the North East.

Cheap: Hard one for me this, as I don't get quite so much upto date news living over here. The obvious choice is Owen to Man Utd, and if he stays anything like fit then he'll walk it. I'll go out ona  limb though and go for Lars Jocabsen who Blackburn picked up on a free. He's a Danish International, has a bit of experience and was unlucky in his first season at Everton, picking up an injury and not breaking into the first team till the end of March. He came on as sub in the FA Cup final though, and I think he'll be a shrewd purchase by big Sam yeah :buttrock.

For the blooper, I'm going to go for Roque Santa cruz. I think he'll spend much of the season injured and will flop. If we sign David Silva for a huge fee though, I'm afraid to say that he would replace the City forward so convinced am I that he would be lost in the Premiership.

I probably should give an honorable mention to Glen Johnson as well, who I think will be an absolutely fantastic signing and well worth the money.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:40 am

alright ill give it a go...

Expensive: Emanuel Adebayor... despite all you'll hear from Arsenal fans, the guy has always been a big player for them since he signed... He was ALWAYS played when fit and if only for his goalscoring records, the guy was a success with them.... City has quality attacking players now and they really needed a big forward whos able to offer something different upfront.. Between him and Santa Cruz its a no brainer about who gets the nod week in week out imo.. signed for 25 mill and i expect him to prove to everyone thats hes good  value for money early on in his City career..

Midrange: tough one between Crouch and Valencia for me but ill go with Crouch becuase at 9mill i think hes an absolute bargain and is sure to provide value for money... The guy has done well wherever hes been, even at Portsmouth when they were struggling he was bagging them in... Cant understand why the new owners at Portsmouth would let him go for such a small fee but whatever the reasons, it has got to be a great pick from Redknapp who i think is one of the better managers out there when it comes to bringing talented players in and getting the best out of them...

Cheap: Owen would be logical pick but then again everyone knows that... Theres quite a few other players who im sure are going to impress who didnt cost much... between Cana, F.Campbell and Jiminez, ill go with Campbell... hes a player with a great deal of potential, and i feel he never really got his chance at the big stage to show what he has to offer... at Sunderland, he'll stay have quite a few quality players to compete with for a starting spot, but atleast he'll get more of a chance to prove his worth... 3.5mill well spent imo and i expect his vale to atleast double if hes given enough starting time next season...

for the flop, ill go with Stewart Downing.. im guessing O'niel brought him in knowing that he'll be played out of position... dont think he has enough quality to get in the side ahead of Young, Milner or even Agbonlahor... If hes played down the middle i expect him to be a disaster and i cant really see O'niel changing a good formation and setup drastically just to accomodate Downing in the side... 12mill flop for me
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:32 am

I honestly think Glen Johnson is gonna proove to be the best signing...so far.
It is the signing that has got virtually no press, but i really got a good feeling.

Expensive, i gotta agree about Adebuyer... awful business by Citeh

cheap - owen, but everything about him lately is cheap

best business - sami hyps... he'll be a legend

the transfer season is far from over tho so there will be many many surprises to come
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:21 am

dawson99 wrote:Expensive, i gotta agree about Adebuyer... awful business by Citeh

Daws' I think you are actually disagreeing with Ace, not agreeing. He thinks Adebayor'll be a good signing. FWIW I agree with you and think he's a mercenary and won't do a tap. It wouldn't surprise me if Bellamy and Tevez end up being City's preferred pairing.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:29 am

your mate in italy has done the best bit of business that we will see this summer mick . 40 mil helb and etoo for that overrated swedish lump is fantastic business . They loose a guy who rates himself higher than anyone else can and replaced him with prob the second best striker in the world plus a big wad of cash plus a very good player in helb .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am

My "mate in Italy" has a habit of doing fantastic pieces of transfer business mate, that's why he keeps on winning league titles. This thread though is about the Premiership only, sorry I didn't say that at the start.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 am

The best piece of business for me would have been if Chelsea had managed to hold on to Hiddink. Although I think Ancelotti will do quite well, I'd have seen Chelsea as much more of a threat if Hiddink was still there. That's the blooper for me.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:57 am

It'll be interesting to look back on as well I suppose as the season progresses. Should be plenty of scope there for people to drag old posts up and take the p!ss out of the poster as it all goes pear shaped. With that in mind, try and give an explanation if you can be ersed as to why you're thinking like you are. The more you write, the more chance you've got of making yourself look silly in the cold light of day I reckon.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 am

Glen Johnson is a waste of money... take it from here Mick :D
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:31 am

Apologies Mick

Just Prem then

Expensive - Tevez - think you summed it up well then and think he will be their one success story this season

Middle - Johnson/Crouch - Johnson will provide us with an extra dimension from right back and will work very well in tandem with Kuyt. Crouch will score goals simple as that

Cheaper- Naughton - think he is a cracking young player and will be a very good buy for spurs

Bloopers - Santa Cruz - well over priced for one decent season and spent the rest of the time injured . Adebayor - Believes his own hype and just cant seem him succeeding at city . Valencia - Was a decent player at Wigan but will just fade away for Man Utd - wont create enough or score enough for them , just not good enough for a top 4 side - so in some way its a great signing for us as they loose fake ronaldo and gain him - thats a massive step down .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:48 am

Come on people lets not stick to the obvious choices here... wheres the fun in that....
most people are writing Adebayor off, especially the Arsenal fans who somehow seem to think hes a shhitty little player... the guy scored 44 goals for them, with over 10 assists in the past 2 season only despite his long injury last season... hes only 25 and seems to have all thats needed of a top quality forward....
Valencia i think will surprise many with his performances this season... its sort of like Glen Johnson with Liverpool.. they both shined at smaller clubs and earned themselves big money transfers to a top4 club... both have shown they have what it takes to make it at the biggest of stages and thats why the big clubs where after them... i expect them both to do well but then against it wouldnt be much of a surprise if they did...

so for Mid range im gonna change my prediction to Zhirkov... 18mill or whatever it was... chelsea have shown over the past couple of seasons that their main problem is the lack of width in the side.. they always perform well when Bosingwa and Malouda are performing to their best standards... Hiddink towards the end of last season made them look a much better balanced side by getting the best out of a long under-performing Malouda... would be interesting to see if Ancelotti can utilize Zhirkov in a smiliar way because i have no doubt that out of Zhirkov and Malouda, zhirkov is the one more likely to cause damage if given the chance..

sticking to everything else for now though...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 am

Zhirkov is a good shout - very good signing but all depends on where he is played as from watching him in the past he always seems to excell more at left back as opposed to left winger and think malouda improved greatly last season . You also mentioned Jimenez as well - going to be interesting to see how he performs . Downing will be just Downing - normal up and down the left with decent delivery .for more cheaper options think scotland will score a decent amount of goals for wigan and will be watching to see how McCarthy does there as well
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:00 pm

GYBS wrote:Zhirkov is a good shout - very good signing but all depends on where he is played as from watching him in the past he always seems to excell more at left back as opposed to left winger and think malouda improved greatly last season . You also mentioned Jimenez as well - going to be interesting to see how he performs . Downing will be just Downing - normal up and down the left with decent delivery .for more cheaper options think scotland will score a decent amount of goals for wigan and will be watching to see how McCarthy does there as well

yea McCarthy... totally forgot about him... always thought he was a very good player and is excellent at bringing teammates into play... would be interesting to see how he does there... hes a player iv always liked since his Porto days... thought a big club would snap him up after that CL but didnt happen despite the speculation...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Can't agree on Adebayor mate. No doubting his talent, but I just think the way he's conducted himself over the last two Summers is a good indication that he's a bit of a c..., what with his "come and get me Barca" to all this sh!t about the Arsenal fans driving him out.

I disagree with GYBS on Valencia too, although obviously not in the sense that he's a step down from Ronaldo. I think he'll prove to be a very good buy though, and I'm also thinking that Nani might be a big player for them this season (mind you I always say that :D ). I think that Jo will go well at Everton too. I was going to put him in as my cheapie but he's only on loan so I didn't.

Sometimes signings take time as well, and blokes like Berbatov will have the spotlight well and truly on them, as will Robbie Keane at Spurs. Neither lit the place up in their first season, and it'll be interesting to see how they go. Equally, I'll be very interested to see if Arshavin can build upon his excellent start, and whether or not Riera can finally become the left sider which his talent indicates he is capable of. Enough "settling in", it's time for a few of these blokes to really show what they're made of.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:10 pm

bigmick wrote:Can't agree on Adebayor mate. No doubting his talent, but I just think the way he's conducted himself over the last two Summers is a good indication that he's a bit of a c..., what with his "come and get me Barca" to all this sh!t about the Arsenal fans driving him out.

I disagree with GYBS on Valencia too, although obviously not in the sense that he's a step down from Ronaldo. I think he'll prove to be a very good buy though, and I'm also thinking that Nani might be a big player for them this season (mind you I always say that :D ). I think that Jo will go well at Everton too. I was going to put him in as my cheapie but he's only on loan so I didn't.

Sometimes signings take time as well, and blokes like Berbatov will have the spotlight well and truly on them, as will Robbie Keane at Spurs. Neither lit the place up in their first season, and it'll be interesting to see how they go. Equally, I'll be very interested to see if Arshavin can build upon his excellent start, and whether or not Riera can finally become the left sider which his talent indicates he is capable of. Enough "settling in", it's time for a few of these blokes to really show what they're made of.

but what is it about c***s that makes them bad on a pitch ?
Ronaldos a bit of a c*** surely but then again i have no doubt that he'd do well wherever he ends up... i think Adebayors records with Arsenal are great tbh.. dont think their fans give him the credit he deserves... but anyways.... hes my pick and again like Ibrahimovic with barca we'll see how this goes down...

as for Arshavin, Riera, Nani... stick to the topic fella !   :angry:
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion