Signing of the summer so far. - Neck on the block time.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:53 pm

aCe' wrote:
bigmick wrote:Talking of Adebayor, his sale represents another astounding piece of business by Wenger. Bought for 3 million or whatever it was off of Monaco, and sold a couple of years later for 25 million quid. they've essentially got Arshavin for free plus 11 million for Adebayor. Unbelieveable really.

Arshavin is a good player an all Mick but itll be interesting to see if he can do well this season with all the added pressure of him being first choice and depended on to provide both in terms of assists AND goals... my guess is they'll go for a 4-4-1-1 with Arshavin playing behind RVP... both not known to be clinical strikers and im guessing Wenger is trying to get back to the passing game they relied on before the mess they got themsleves into at the start of last season... think it'll be a huge season for the likes of Walcott and Nasri aswell... personally i feel theyre lacking a bit in terms of quality upfront... they havent replaced Adebayor who was a big player for them whether Wenger/fans realize(s) it or not and the goals he provided are now gonna have to come from somewhere else... Fabregas is back for the side but im not sure he'll be that much of an addition in terms of being a goal threat to opposition.. as things stand, if they dont add any new players to their roster, theyr a bit behind the other top sides imo (Chelsea, ManUtd, Liverpool, to a lesser extent ManCity)... they now not only need a good defensive midfielder to break up opposition play, they need a 20+ goalscorer to ensure the side does well at the other end of the pitch... im sure many Arsenal fans arent happy with Wenger's transfers so far this summer, and i quite honestly dont blame them...

Adebayor, end of the day whether you like him as a person/player or not, was a consustent goal scoreer for that side... 45 goals or so goals in 2 season are gonna be really hard for this Arsenal side to replace...

Maybe eduardo will be able to get back to form this season for them ?

On the thread subject i also agree that Tevez will be great with his versatility and fighting qualities a major plus.
Not convinced about Adebayor though. He is definately a good player and if he comes in and starts well then he may kick on. If he doesnt though then i'm not so sure he will be a success.

Crouch as a mid range player without doubt for me, scores goals wherever and lookes decent with Defoe at the start of the season for pompey.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:22 am

Crouch is another guaranteed performer at that level. Stick him alongside Keane or Defoe and it's a winner. Nice and tidy.

Jo is a distinctly average player IMO, but he's on loan in an already solid Everton side so it's no great risk on Moyes' part. Long-term I don't think he'll do much.

Cheap ,James McCarthy Excellent young midfielder highly rated and much sought after  Wigan have got a real bargain and him and cattermole will be an interesting partnership in midfield

We almost signed this guy didn't we?
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:07 am

Expensive: Glenn Johnson. To spend that much money on a full back, for me, is totally wastefull. He doesnt appear to me to be a player who is worth the amount we paid for him, and I dont think he will make much difference to the team. Steve Finnan for me has been our best right back in recent years, and cost just over £2 million, for us to pay the amount we did for Johnson, is just plain bad business. I cannot see him being as effective for us as Finnan was. I hope im wrong and Johnson proves to be one of our best signings ever, I doubt it though.

Mid Range: Gareth Barry. I say mid range, I think he was signed for way too much. I class him as a Jack of all trades, master of none. He does the basics well. Thats it.

Cheap: Peter Crouch. I rate this lad very highly, and was gutted when Rafa sold him. He scores goals. It took a while for him to get into a rhythm here but once he did, he was mr reliable. I like that in a player. By joining tottenham for the cheap price of about £9 million, they have a real bargain.

The blooper for me would be Owen. He is not cheap as he commands a high wage. But he will get injured, of that there is no doubt. He is having a good pre-season friendly debut, but a couple of premiership games will take their toll. We didnt sign him for a reason, he is very fragile. And, fingers crossed, the coming season he will prove beyond doubt how fragile he is.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:57 am

Kharaz mate I think you missed it. The point was who is in your opinion the BEST signing in the three categories, the categories being "expensive", "mid range" and "cheap". Then, there was a blooper section for the worst signing of the Summer.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:35 pm

I see Bent is looking like going to Sunderland for £14m.

Ok the price may be excessive but his scoring record is actually very good when he starts games, a bit like Crouch. I'd have taken him. Certainly better than any other of our striking options outside Torres and can also play upfront on his own.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:19 pm

stmichael wrote:I see Bent is looking like going to Sunderland for £14m.

Ok the price may be excessive but his scoring record is actually very good when he starts games, a bit like Crouch. I'd have taken him. Certainly better than any other of our striking options outside Torres and can also play upfront on his own.

Me too, good player. He'll score aplenty to keep them up comfortably, and will be going to a much bigger club within 18 months is my tip.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:33 am

In the Bargain section, take note of this name, Diame the guy that has bought Wigan from Rayo Vallecano. He really impressed me in the segunda division and he certainly has a level of primera. Will be interesting to see how he does in England, but with his strenght, that midfielder can be a good buy, a makeleleish player. It's not easy that a man catches my attention in one game but certainly this lad did and I paid him attention.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:09 am

Never heard of him Sabes but I'll give him a look. I guess the Wigan manager ought to be pretty good at picking up bargain basement Spanish players, so I'll defo watch out for him.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:15 am

Got to revisit Darren Bent not he has completed his transfer to Sunderland. I've got a strong feeling this lad is going to be a revelation, they've absolutely nicked him in this current market for 12 mill' IMHO.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:27 am

Would of taken Bent at 5-6 mil but not at 12 mil . good pace and can finish but not high quality - would of been decent back up but not at that price
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:31 pm

No offence mate but it always makes me laugh when people say "I would have taken such and such at X amount of money (usually about half of what they're transfered for)". People say, "well I'd have paid 4 million for Glen Johnson but not a penny more" and expect you to take them seriously. You wouldn't have paid 4 million for Johnson, or 5 million for Bent, because their respective clubs wouldn't have sold them to you. If Bent isn't worth 12 mill in your opinion, absolutely fair enough but you wouldn't "have paid six". The market decides the value of a player, and if Pompey for instance said Glen Johnson was for sale at 12 million quid, there'd have been eight different clubs prepared to pay it. If Tottenham said Bent was available for 5 million, I should think every team in the Premiership would have bid for him, literally.

Anyway, if you think 12 is way too much that's all fair enough and you may well be right. I'm very confident that 12 will look cheap this time next year, and I've no doubts you'll remind me if I'm wrong, and obviously likewise   :D.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:33 pm

especially when you consider that huntelaar has just moved for 12m.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Ok will rephrase then mick - i dont think he is worth 12 million but think he would be a good buy for back up for around 6 million ish which is how much i think he is worth .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:13 pm

bigmick wrote:No offence mate but it always makes me laugh when people say "I would have taken such and such at X amount of money (usually about half of what they're transfered for)". People say, "well I'd have paid 4 million for Glen Johnson but not a penny more" and expect you to take them seriously. You wouldn't have paid 4 million for Johnson, or 5 million for Bent, because their respective clubs wouldn't have sold them to you. If Bent isn't worth 12 mill in your opinion, absolutely fair enough but you wouldn't "have paid six". The market decides the value of a player, and if Pompey for instance said Glen Johnson was for sale at 12 million quid, there'd have been eight different clubs prepared to pay it. If Tottenham said Bent was available for 5 million, I should think every team in the Premiership would have bid for him, literally.

Anyway, if you think 12 is way too much that's all fair enough and you may well be right. I'm very confident that 12 will look cheap this time next year, and I've no doubts you'll remind me if I'm wrong, and obviously likewise   :D.

I think we were all wrong by all accounts, as it appears the fee bandied about for darren Bent was 10 million quid. I know I'm counting my chickens before the eggs even been laid here never mind hatched, but as I've said earlier on this thread I've always liked this lad.

He got the winner for Sunderland yesterday and could have had a couple more, and I'm absolutely convinced he'll look like a steal quite quickly at that price. I'd have taken him like a shot as our Torres cover/occasional second striker.

One from one, and a winner at that. A good start for the fella.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:23 am

Just watched the Tony Gubba interview with Bent, and the interviewer mentioned his stats. 51 goals in 101 Premiership starts. When you consider the vast majority of those were for Charlton, about 1/5 were for Spurs and 1 for Sunderland, it looks pretty impressive.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion