Michael owen - Almost at his best...go for him in jan?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:59 am

As you all know Owen scored 3 goals in the last 2 internationals putting his tally to 40 international goals only 9 shy of Sir Bobby's record of 49. Now some of you might still hold a grudge against him for his move to Real. But the bloke has proven time and again that he can score goals anytime anywhere. He's proven that when he was coming off the bench at Real. He's proven that whenever he play for Newcastle. And IMO he seemed to have developed his finishing skills even more... his 1st goal against Russia was very typical of him... calculated and accurate finishing... but his goal against Isreal and the second against Russia were almost Robbie Fowler-esque IMO. They were both instinctive strikes... one an amazing turn and volley with his back to the goal... and the other a one time volley without trapping the ball... and both without really having a look at where the goal posts were. And I'm not surprised as a top striker he will be able to score those kind of goals as he gain more and more experience. Only Robbie was able to do it while he was still young. At his best, Owen is still the best finisher in England and pisses on Rooney really.

Now my question is whether Rafa should go for him again in Jan. At 28 years old he could still give us 4 years of top-notch goal scoring play if he stays injury free and that would be well worth it IMO even if we have to pay 10 mil. Owen has also proven that no matter how lengthy the injury lay off is once he comes back to the pitch, he'll score. Together with Torres we can have the deadliest front pairing since Dalglish and Rush. So my opinion is yes we should go for him. He will score lots of goals that kuyt or crouch will not. And we have a strong enough midfield to support Torres and Owen without using a genuine target man. Rednose will now surely be looking for an out and out striker given his team's start to the season and with the form Owen is showing now, he might just try to put in an offer for him. Now the last thing we need is Owen in the devil's uniform and scoring goals against us.

Now rafa has managed to improve the squad alot this season. We need to be relentless and improve even more by adding a very clinical striker who can give us 20 goals a season easily if he stays fit.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:49 am

Even if we want him back, i don't think Rafa would go for him.....Unless we unload one of our current strikers... but the possibility of re-signing owen? nope. Not gonna happen.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:59 am

For the umpteenth time, no.

For reasons already discussed and reasons that will be discussed until hell freezes over.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby Keris » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:49 am

we're doing so well now and i reckon rafa is content with the players he has, can't see him making much changes to the squad now till the end of the season, new personnels may disrupt the teams flow & rhythm.
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:02 am

crouch
torres
voronin
babel
kuyt

where can owen fit in unless one leaves? and besides, the money should be used for other more important covers such as central defense. and besides owen supposedly committed himself to the Toons so if he were to join us in Jan, i would be disgusted with him due to lack of loyalty and i wont cheer him on.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby redmikey » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:32 am

done to death and there must be a thread still open you could have commented on ............... boring even from an owen fan like me
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:55 am

FFS I knew this would come up at some point :D

Its great to see him doing what he does best but there is not a chance in hell Rafa would go for him unless we sold Kuyt/Crouch. Besides isnt he due to sign a new contract with Newcastle. He only recently said he wasnt going anywhere for them.

Still though I wonder if Stevie had this going through his head yesterday.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:57 am

:censored: how do you delete a post,  :D
Last edited by tubby on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:06 am

QUite simply, not a Rafa style forward.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:31 am

A torres and owen combo would be the best in this league (with torres' techincal skill and owen's clinical finishing).

I would happily trade either Kuyt, Crouch or Voronin for Owen.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 am

While we are at it lets get Bellamy back he also scored two last night.  :no

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:43 am

What about re-signing Heskey too, he plays well with Owen. 

I would have loved to have signed Owen, but I think that ship has sailed.
account deleted by request

Postby club_Levis » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 am

You living in the past mate...Owen has moved on you do the same!!!!
club_Levis

Postby burjennio » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:13 am

Some people are never gonna let this go, HE WONT BE BACK :angry:
burjennio

Postby mighty mo » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am

i knew when i was watching this game that someone would make a thread about bringing owen back
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion