Michael owen - Almost at his best...go for him in jan?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Nelly Jamba » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:31 am

Rafa wants players who "work hard for the team". Owen belong to the old fashioned centre-forward where the ball has to be played to him. He wants to be "the man". You can forget about him trying to retrieve the ball from the opposition or work hard like Kuyt, Voronin or Torres.

We didn't sign him in the summer and we aren't going to sign him in January.
Nelly Jamba

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:31 am

mighty mo wrote:i knew when i was watching this game that someone would make a thread about bringing owen back

Its ridiculous mate, we now have Crouch Kuyt Voronin Torres and Babel, we have started really well and all strikers have scored goals.
There is NO POSSIBILITY of signing any player until January, but still we get a bring back Owen thread.

As i said its ridiculous.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:33 am

Totally irrelevant to LFC General Discussion  and is therefore put where it belongs.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:45 am

Its time to move on people, like S@int said that ship has sailed.

But Owen did show us last night how good he really is, he's scored three excellent goals while on international duty. Still looks a very good player.

But as a person, I cant stand the selfish tw@t that left us for the glory of Madrid, and the Mr England image is another gripe I have with him.
66-1112520797

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Although it has been done to death, i'd trade Owen for both Voronin or Kuyt. Not because they are bad but Owen is better.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Im sure this thread will be bumped next time he breaks down injured :lookaround
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:03 pm

maybe we should go for Heskey in Jan too eh???  :laugh:
I'm happy with our strikers as they are. we have pace, holding players and creativity.........unless ronaldinho can leave on a free of course. :D
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Was a good player for us, but he has moved on and so have we most definitely. No thanks.
JamCar05

Postby maguskwt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:57 pm

yes yes... I know it's been done to death and the ship has sailed and so on and so forth... and I did actually move on... but after how he performed for england I've kinda came back...:D

The thing is... the fact remains that...(like the_rock and southcoastshankly has mentioned)...

1. torres-owen combination would be mind blowing...

2. I am willing to trade crouch/voronin/kuyt for owen... most likely crouch

and the argument of "then why not bring back bellamy/heskey" does not stand... how many goals did bellamy score of us? how many did owen? same goes for heskey...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:22 pm

maguskwt wrote:yes yes... I know it's been done to death and the ship has sailed and so on and so forth... and I did actually move on... but after how he performed for england I've kinda came back...:D

The thing is... the fact remains that...(like the_rock and southcoastshankly has mentioned)...

1. torres-owen combination would be mind blowing...

2. I am willing to trade crouch/voronin/kuyt for owen... most likely crouch

and the argument of "then why not bring back bellamy/heskey" does not stand... how many goals did bellamy score of us? how many did owen? same goes for heskey...

Torres has started brilliantly being the main forward. He is being played as the furthest forward striker more off the shoulders of the defenders. Thats the role Owen would prefer. If they were to play together that would mean Torres having to be the deeper player cos Owen couldnt play that role. Personally i would much rather Torres in that position due to his pace and ability to beat his man one on one.
Owen has looked decent and will always score goals but we dont need him now.
Our other strikers are scoring goals when they play so cant be faulted yet.
AND ITS NOWHERE NEAR JANUARY, so even if we wanted him we couldnt sign him.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Why does everyone say owen and torres would work? Everyone knows owen plays well with abig lump playing him on.

Owen is in the past. Torres is a better play, younger, fitter and just all round better. Owen has nothing to add to our squad what so ever
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:03 pm

I don't want to get into another Owen argument, but he's still a great goalscorer and would be an asset to any prem team when fit. I just think we have moved on now and while he would have been a great bargain buy in the summer, unless our strikers goals dry up and we struggle for goals we should concentrate on improving cover for other areas.

I can understand people questioning his attitude and fitness, even his style of play not being "the Rafa way " but you can't argue about his ability to hit the back of the net.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:54 pm

I don't think it was about those doubting Michael Owens ability as some people have alluded to on this thread, more as to doubting his ability to stay fit for any great length of time. His injury record over the last two years has been an absolute horror story and I don't think it's out of the way for people to question his fitness or his loyalty to his club side, whoever that maybe.

Michael Owen was a great player for our club, of that there is no doubt. However, and this is only my opinion he has one thing on his mind, what's best for Mikey. That doesn't sit comfortably with me and the manner of his departure left a very sour taste.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:38 pm

s@int wrote:I don't want to get into another Owen argument, but he's still a great goalscorer and would be an asset to any prem team when fit. I just think we have moved on now and while he would have been a great bargain buy in the summer, unless our strikers goals dry up and we struggle for goals we should concentrate on improving cover for other areas.

I can understand people questioning his attitude and fitness, even his style of play not being "the Rafa way " but you can't argue about his ability to hit the back of the net.

fair enough saint...

I don't really wanna go into an Owen argument either... but I wouldn't mind if we have to let go of crouch (for eg) and rafa goes for him in Jan or in the off season again... I know it's very unlikely... wishful thinking... but then again why not... rafa brought back robbie... I felt very disappointed when owen left for madrid as he was my favourite player but I also feel that it's a bit harsh to hold that against him... with all due respect to others but i don't really buy those " he does what's best for mikey... his attitude sucks...country before club" claims but fair enough... everyone has their own opinions on the matter... and I don't feel like arguing about that anymore...

what i'm looking at now is whether he can add quality to our squad and the answer is I believe he can... because there are very few better finishers in the game...

on the matter of whether torres is compatible with owen or not... i don't see why not... torres is strong quick and has good technical ability and on top of that he has awarenes... that's the key... you don't see him being overly selfish and whenever he plays you can see a good amount of exchange between him and whoever's he's partnering... so the notion of owen needing a big man is I must say abit narrow-minded IMO...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:53 pm

stmichael wrote:Im sure this thread will be bumped next time he breaks down injured :lookaround

What would make you think that? *bump*

It's hard to judge him fairly, he is at the injury capital of the Premiership.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion