The "what could have been" thread - Unfulfilled potential

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ade » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:13 pm

stmichael wrote:I think that David James can be included aswell, especially considering the promise he showed in his early Liverpool career.

If you can ever be ar$ed, watch the 96 cup final again. James is brilliant, particularly at (you'll never believe it) collecting crosses. He takes some absolutely spectacular crosses, makes a great save from Cantona (early in the second half if memory serves). Just before the goal, Scales gives away a completely unnecessary corner. James comes out for it, punches it, it hits Rush in the back of the head and you know the rest. I know he made a few mistakes before that but the whole calamity James thing can be traced to that moment. He's obviously not the strongest player psychologically, and he's obviously never got over it. But he could still have been England and Liverpool's number 1 for a longer period of time.

Jesus, you  must be some kind of masochist to watch that game again!

Rob Jones - possibly the cruellest end to a career we've seen. His debut against the mancs at Old Toilet was a masterclass - he would've been the greatest right back England have ever seen, and we would've heard a lot less of inbred Nev. Amazing to think he's still only 35

Collymore - great talent, but for me if you don't have the mentality to make the most of your talent when being offered a chance by Liverpool then you're a :censored:. Which has been proven time and again since he left us

Fowler - remember everyone was made up when we signed Collymore, but on his debut at Anfield, when Stan scored a pearler against Sheff Weds, there was Robbie, in his prime, the most natural finisher in England, on the bench, making 'sad' faces at the TV cameras. The signing of Collymore was the beginning of the end of Fowler's reign, for me.

Redknapp - bit overrated. Lovely passer of the ball, good dead ball striker, but slow, and clumsy in the tackle, and always came up short in the big games.

Litmanen - criminally underused by GH. He did more in his 5-min subs cameos than Heskey did in half a season. Pure class

So the unlucky winner by a mile is Rob Jones…
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:23 pm

Ade wrote:
stmichael wrote:Fowler - remember everyone was made up when we signed Collymore, but on his debut at Anfield, when Stan scored a pearler against Sheff Weds, there was Robbie, in his prime, the most natural finisher in England, on the bench, making 'sad' faces at the TV cameras. The signing of Collymore was the beginning of the end of Fowler's reign, for me.

Collymore joined in '95. Fowler stats for the while colly was at liverpool are:

(nicked off wikipedia)

95-96: 53 games, 36 goals
96-97: 44 games, 31 goals

Collymore got sold

97-98: 28 games, 13 goals

If anything, Collymore leaving spelt the end for Fowler's prolific streak. Injuries and the pressure of being the only decent striker probably got to him.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby BugSniper » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:34 pm

http://go.battle.co.il?id=176648
Always nice to watch the greatest fight in Liverpool's history once again.

Hmmmm and this is how we take part in all this thing.. I wish the Champion's league final will look like this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKNTP1QbX4
BugSniper

Postby Ade » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Bammo wrote:
Ade wrote:
stmichael wrote:Fowler - remember everyone was made up when we signed Collymore, but on his debut at Anfield, when Stan scored a pearler against Sheff Weds, there was Robbie, in his prime, the most natural finisher in England, on the bench, making 'sad' faces at the TV cameras. The signing of Collymore was the beginning of the end of Fowler's reign, for me.

Collymore joined in '95. Fowler stats for the while colly was at liverpool are:

(nicked off wikipedia)

95-96: 53 games, 36 goals
96-97: 44 games, 31 goals

Collymore got sold

97-98: 28 games, 13 goals

If anything, Collymore leaving spelt the end for Fowler's prolific streak. Injuries and the pressure of being the only decent striker probably got to him.

Good stats, makes me think again.

But I always felt Robbie was on the verge of becoming a true great and then Evans signed Collymore. I always got the impression that put Fowler's nose out of joint and things were never so rosy - in his mind - again. I may be wrong, but I've always thought Collymore's arrival was a mistake, and then when he left Owen's emergence put Fowler in the shade. And then the wheels really started to come off.

Interesting stats though…
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:39 pm

Collymore had a record of around 1 in 2 for us although I remember it was normally 2 or 3 in a game then bugger all for a month.

Houllier's tactics killed Robbie's game. Wen he was out with the injuries we started playing to Owen's strengths - sitting deep then playing it direct. Once he'd lost his pace, Fowler was never gonna do well in those circumstances.

Ironically we're now beginning to play the style that suits him and he looks like he's on his way out.

Another player who didn't fullfil his potential - Neil Mellor - was probably victim of the tactics more than himself. It may have helped if he wasn't from the Razor Ruddock school of dieting.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby puroresu » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:53 pm

Evans signing Stan wasnt a mistake.  He was awesome at Forest and when we signed him I like many thought that was the title wrapped up.  Didnt Evans drop Fowler for Stan's debut just to bring Robbie back into reality and let him know he still has to work hard to be in the team. 

Stan and Robbie together were great!!!
puroresu

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:05 pm

When you consider the raw talent of both Anelka and Stan, it makes you reaslise how we go for a different style of player today up front - team players taking no risks, displaying little single mindedness genius that Anelka, Stan, Robbie and Own all had - NEEDED to be special.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:38 pm

I know he's still with us & could still come good, but the player I always look at & think 'if only' is Harry Kewell.

I'm sure near enough everyone on here was jumping for joy like myself when we nicked Kewell from under the noses of Europes major players in the transfer market for a meagre £5m. It was at a time when we were starting to challenge again under GH, and I genuinely believed he could be the inspiration to help us make the next step. Since then we haven't seen anything like the form he produced at Leeds. Even last season, the best he's had with us IMO, was nothing compared to the Kewell of old. I can't recall back to his Leeds days, was he always this injury prone or has that only been since he came to us? I see him probably being offloaded in the summer, and falling firmly into the 'could've been class' category.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:14 pm

EddieC wrote:I know he's still with us & could still come good, but the player I always look at & think 'if only' is Harry Kewell.

I'm sure near enough everyone on here was jumping for joy like myself when we nicked Kewell from under the noses of Europes major players in the transfer market for a meagre £5m. It was at a time when we were starting to challenge again under GH, and I genuinely believed he could be the inspiration to help us make the next step. Since then we haven't seen anything like the form he produced at Leeds. Even last season, the best he's had with us IMO, was nothing compared to the Kewell of old. I can't recall back to his Leeds days, was he always this injury prone or has that only been since he came to us? I see him probably being offloaded in the summer, and falling firmly into the 'could've been class' category.

If Kewell is to continue his LFC career than he has to suspend his international career for at least a year ... Personally, I don't think Rafa will buy another left winger in the summer as we already have Gonzales and the Argentina youngster Leto is also arriving in the summer.

How long does he have left on his contract by the way? If I'm not mistaken, it runs out in the summer of 08 so we'll be better off cashing in on him in the summer. Shame really because despite what anyone says, he could be a matchwinner on his day. We could certainly have done with him against Villa the other day that's for sure.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:19 pm

stmichael wrote:
EddieC wrote:I know he's still with us & could still come good, but the player I always look at & think 'if only' is Harry Kewell.

If Kewell is to continue his LFC career than he has to suspend his international career for at least a year ... Personally, I don't think Rafa will buy another left winger in the summer as we already have Gonzales and the Argentina youngster Leto is also arriving in the summer.

How long does he have left on his contract by the way? If I'm not mistaken, it runs out in the summer of 08 so we'll be better off cashing in on him in the summer. Shame really because despite what anyone says, he could be a matchwinner on his day. We could certainly have done with him against Villa the other day that's for sure.

I think he's gone StMike.  I agree he's a matchwinner on his day, but I just can't see an end to his injury problems.  If you're injured so often in your mid-twenties, what the hell are you going to be like in your late twenties/early thirties?

He's being paid 70k per week and he's not played a game this season.  LFC isn't a bottomless pit of money so imo we have to get rid of him.

Problem is, no other club would pay him what we already are and therefore I think he'll be here until his contract expires in the summer of '08.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Harry was one of the most talented players at Leeds like a young Figo but as sone as he joined Liverpool it all went down hill from there. but i still think he has something to offer us. Just before he got injured again he was rearly starting to play some good football and he had some very good games for his country so lets just hope that he gets back soon because we could use him at the moment.:D :D
grayghost

Postby Pedro Maradona » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:53 pm

A team of "could have been incredibles".....

.                James
Jones    Babbel  Wright   Hegemm
Pongolle    Redknapp   Kewell
                Litmanen
       Collymore       Anelka

Honourable mentions to Freidel,Thompson, Murphy, Morientes

But Stanley stands out ...that lad could have been the best in the world if he wasnt such a lunatic. David James as well if he was stronger mentally he could have been one of the best in the world. I think Freidel, Litmanen and Pongolle were very unlucky that the managers didnt rate them as high as perhaps they should have done.
Pedro Maradona

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Incidentally, good to see Rob Jones lining up in an LFC legends team against Crystal Palace...apparently our goal was a screamer from Phil Babb, of all people! :D

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155351070321-0948.htm
ivor_the_injun

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:13 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Incidentally, good to see Rob Jones lining up in an LFC legends team against Crystal Palace...apparently our goal was a screamer from Phil Babb, of all people! :D

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155351070321-0948.htm

It said it was digger in todays post mate, with the outside of his foot into the top corner.
Then Mark Bright equalised with a header.

Not sure which is right like :)

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:25 pm

Pedro Maradona wrote:Honourable mentions to Freidel, Thompson, Murphy, Morientes

amazing to think how much money we spent on goalkeepers after letting friedel go on a free because he "wasn't good enough".
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion