The "what could have been" thread - Unfulfilled potential

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:13 pm

stmichael wrote:
dawson99 wrote:Rob Jones, did he ever score?

No but it wasn't for the want of trying. He hit the woodwork on several ocassions if I remember rightly.  :D

Rob Jones was brilliant - when he came through he was my favourite player. So comfortable on the ball, great at winning the ball back, and got forward providing width.

If he had stayed fit he'd have turned into one of the all time great full backs and neville would never have got anywhere near the england team (not that i care).

Rob Jones probabily had the greatest "rise" in modern football. I mean one year he was playing 4th division football with crewe..and the next year he was playing for the biggest club in england / england international.

He could have been one of our finest right backs.....but he was unlucky with injury.

Have to agree with u about collymore. He was the most gifted footballer in england at the time..but he was the biggest dickhead too....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Effes wrote:Redknapp was a bit like David Platt, he just pranced from one box to the other.

David Platt pranced from box to box? is that the same David Platt who scored 27 goals in 62 apps for England? He was the most consistent England player there was between 1990 and '96, and fetched over 22m in transfer fees!!!

Jamie was pure class and I would have loved to have seen him stay injury free, remember, he'd have still been playing now.....

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:39 pm

Titi Camara was promising but i think we could have seen more from him. Although we saw a lot of Danny Murphy i think we didnt see the best of him
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby lakes10 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Rob Jones  Must top the list but the others would be...
Mike Hooper : Goalkeeper (1985-1993) ...just got it wrong when we needed him
Mike Marsh : Midfield (1988-1993).
Karlheinz Riedle : Forward (1997-199) ....just needed to lift his game a bit to be one of the best.
Danny Murphy (Midfielder, 1997-2004) ... for me one of our best that was let go.
Julian Dicks : (Left back, 1993-94) ...did nothing
Ruddock : (Defender. 1993-98).  a great guy, good at hard hits.....just he did to many of them
Last edited by lakes10 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:01 pm

When I read the thread title I immediately thought of Collymore. I seriously think he could have become England's greatest ever striker. He was big and strong, could head, dribble, shoot from distance and was a good finisher (remember them?  :p )

Richie Partridge: I remember the buzz around him when he was coming through and I was impressed when he was in the reserves. Shame he didn't make it considering we could do with a right winger.

I could name most of the side under Roy Evans who made me believe it was our year every year only to disappoint!

Of the recent side I thought Warnock was gonna be a disappointment but recently he's been looking Premiership class and a decent left back. Shame it's for Blackburn  :sniffle
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:14 am

Phil Thompson !!

When he took over from Gerard Houillier for a short time he got some great results and Liverpool were playing with passion and good football. If only he took over for the rest of Houilliers contract.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:40 am

Sinama-pongolle

I know we can still have him but it looks as though hes on his way out even thought id take him rather than crouch.I thinks he s a greta player and he helped us out alot,scored two valuable penalties v totnham,league cup 2 years ago.Scored against olympiakos.Hate to see if he goes even thought he has loads of time to fufill his potential.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:53 am

If I'm not mistaken Rob Jones debut game was against ManU, he played so hard, he got cramps, one of my absolute favourite player.

Wierd about all these strikers who put everything away at their fomer clubs but just couldn't have the same impact at LFC. ie david speedy (remember him anyone??), nigel clough, dean saunders, morientes, cisse, collymore to name a few...
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby Well Red » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:12 am

our goalkeeper Michael Stensgaard? He would have been brilliant had he not had that freak accident whilst ironing. What a tragic end to a career :(
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:17 am

there are a handful of players from the Houllier era that fell foul of his arrogance and never fulfilled there potential.

Christian Ziege - saw him many a time come of the bench and imediately change the tempo of the game. Sold after asking Houllier for a starting place.

Nick Barmby - scored 7 goals in first half of treble winning season, then got injured. I always liked Barmby, he seemed to double up as a centre forward when in attack.

Jari Litmanen - genius whenever he played. But disposed of.

Marcus Babel - awesome first season, then got sick, then upset Houllier, then got dumped.

Titi Camara - again, awesome first season, then upset Houllier, then got dumped.

Nicolas Anelka - I thought we were right to get shut of him when stories surfaced about him wanting mega money (he wasn't scoring loads of goals anyway). But given his replacement, he is one that got away.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 pm

Collymore wasted his ability. Things just never worked out for Dean Saunders and Robbie maybe had too much success when he wasn't mature enough and pi$$ed his career away.

I thought Ruddock was an excellent passer but defined manliness as how many pints you could sink and had a weak manager (it was Venables , not Evans who told him to lose weight).

Rob jones was unlucky with injuries. Litmanen was class but had a fool for a manager (GH played Heskey ahead of him!)

McManamann did well and left because the team was rubbish. I never rated Redknapp very highly. Phil Babb had a great world cup in 1994 because he had the great Paul McGrath beside him (any centre back that wins player of the year must be great), turned out that he had no brain.

McAteer could have been very good if he played in his natural position (midfield) every week but Evans played him full back and various other posiitons.

Scales was a good centre back - was it injury that ruined him?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:06 pm

Big Niall wrote:Litmanen was class but had a fool for a manager (GH played Heskey ahead of him!)

Litmanen couldn't get a game in the Ajax side when he left us. The questions over his fitness were never answered.

Class but not getting regular games at Ajax said something to me, the lad wasn't up to playing regularly in the most physically demanding league in the world. Hence the cameo's in europe and the odd domestic game.

Pure talent but not sure I tow the line with Houllier being a stubborn git on this one (although Litmanen stood still all game was surely still better then heskey?)  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:09 pm

peterc1992 wrote:Sinama-pongolle

I know we can still have him but it looks as though hes on his way out even thought id take him rather than crouch.I thinks he s a greta player and he helped us out alot,scored two valuable penalties v totnham,league cup 2 years ago.Scored against olympiakos.Hate to see if he goes even thought he has loads of time to fufill his potential.

9 La Liga goals this season.  Have any of strikers got 9 league goals?
puroresu

Postby puroresu » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Phil Thompson !!

When he took over from Gerard Houillier for a short time he got some great results and Liverpool were playing with passion and good football. If only he took over for the rest of Houilliers contract.

Houllier was still picking the team.  I didnt like Thompson.  Used just shout when I saw him.
puroresu

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:41 pm

I think that David James can be included aswell, especially considering the promise he showed in his early Liverpool career.

If you can ever be ar$ed, watch the 96 cup final again. James is brilliant, particularly at (you'll never believe it) collecting crosses. He takes some absolutely spectacular crosses, makes a great save from Cantona (early in the second half if memory serves). Just before the goal, Scales gives away a completely unnecessary corner. James comes out for it, punches it, it hits Rush in the back of the head and you know the rest. I know he made a few mistakes before that but the whole calamity James thing can be traced to that moment. He's obviously not the strongest player psychologically, and he's obviously never got over it. But he could still have been England and Liverpool's number 1 for a longer period of time.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion