European player of the year award - Luis garcia, gerrard, carra

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stoney » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:10 pm

Good to see Carra and Luis in there aswell as Gerrard. LG and Gerrard have a strong claim after their champs league performances last year with both being key match winners on more than one occasion while Carra was there keeping things in check at the back. Out of the three I'd say Gerrard is our mosty likely winner after his performance in the CL final driving us to glory :buttrock and him being club captain.

My prediction though is Ronaldinho to possibly win it with a L'pool player in the final three.

It's strange that Michael Owen is in it seeing he was a bench warmer at Madrid last season.  :upside:  :no   ???  :glare:

Full list of nominees:

Adriano (Internazionale), Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich), David Beckham (Real Madrid), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Petr Cech (Chelsea), Gregory Coupet (Lyon), Cris (Lyon), Deco (Barcelona), Dida (Milan), Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Emerson (Juventus), Michael Essien (Chelsea), Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona), Luis Figo (Internazionale), Diego Forlan (Villarreal), Luis Garcia (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Juventus), Juninho (Lyon), Kaka (Milan), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Paolo Maldini (Milan), Pavel Nedved (Juventus), Michael Owen (Newcastle), Park Ji-sung (Manchester United), Andrea Pirlo (Milan), Raul (Real Madrid), Juan Roman Riquelme (Villarreal), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid), Robinho (Real Madrid), Ronaldinho (Barcelona), Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Andrei Shevchenko (Milan), John Terry (Chelsea), Lilian Thuram (Juventus), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Marc van Bommel (Barcelona), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United), Patrick Vieira (Juventus), Xavi (Barcelona), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:10 pm

I think there was a similar thread about world player of the year award. And the likes of Droba and Essien was included, and Carragher and Terry were left out and many came to the conclusion that it is simply about reputation, maybe thts why owen is in the listing. Or it might be about how much a team is prepard to throw away on trying to sign a player, the reason sh!ts like Essien are in it.

Good to see Carragher init none the less. :;):
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SoppMeister » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:44 pm

I haven't seen Essien do anything impressive this season at all, and did you see that dirty tackle he did when they beat Bolton 5-1 last week? Can't stand him and Drogba. And the rest.
SoppMeister

Postby Red squirrel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:14 pm

Yeah im not sure what all the hype about Essien was about either.
£30 M is well over the top. Gerrard is by far the better player.
Gerrard should get the award but i think its more than likely to be Ronaldinho.
Anyone other than a Chelsea scum bag!! :eyebrow
Red squirrel

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:29 am

Red squirrel wrote:Yeah im not sure what all the hype about Essien was about either.

although £30 M was a little steep to say the least, the guy is an excellent player IMO. He was outstanding againt Betis, and for me he has a better all round game than Lampard.

He's definitely a good signing by Chelsea, but Gerrard is the better player as you say.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:04 am

I was onna say the same LFC#1.

Essien is a quality player, persoanlly I think he is class, and has very subtlely improved the Chelsea Midfield. His passing his VERY good, and he also has excellent vison too. Add to that his strength, aggression and stamina and you have a great player on your hands who is still very young and has also taken to the Prem like a duck to water!
Excellent player IMO!!

Also, it comes as no surprise, that with emergence of Essien has also come Ghana's first qulaification for the World Cup Finals.
76-1115222408

Postby Sparky » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:24 am

Essien is a quality player wthout a doubt, great power, aggression, good technique and vision, perhaps overpriced but who isnt in todays market. 

As far as the euro player of the year award goes what the hell is robinho doing in there judging that he was playing in brazil for most of the year, would love Stevie to win it, but in think that Ronaldihno will scoop the ballon d'or.
"My Idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility"

"To build Liverpool up and up, untill eventually everyone would have to submit!!!"
Sparky

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:53 am

LFC #1 wrote:
Red squirrel wrote:Yeah im not sure what all the hype about Essien was about either.

although £30 M was a little steep to say the least, the guy is an excellent player IMO. He was outstanding againt Betis, and for me he has a better all round game than Lampard.

He's definitely a good signing by Chelsea, but Gerrard is the better player as you say.

Essien did like to show his studs against Bolton, in which he shoulda been sent off, but no. He feigns injury, stays on the pitch and helps set up most of the goals which defeated Bolton...................fucking stinks  :angry:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby louie garthie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:12 am

Jamie Carragher..........Top Man
louie garthie

Postby AwiLas » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:20 am

Hm... Maybe majority, including me myself, will vote for Ronaldinho and Gerrard... But don't forget Lampard and Shevchenko bro.... As they are there when their teams need them... TO SCORE... Cheers...
AwiLas

Postby Dundalk » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:29 am

Luis Garcia  European fotballer of the year   ?????   Give me a break
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:00 am

half the nominees didnt even have good seasons last year, the likes of Raul, Beckham and Van nistelrooy were woeful by there standards. It just shows you how little these awards mean these days, you just have to be a famous name to get a nomination
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion