Owen joquin and metzelder to arrive nexy week.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:07 am

welsh wizzard wrote:lando bloom you are a fool you f=cking :censored: take your ugly clock for a s=it you stupid boy. :D

What the hell did you just say?

I take it you've been rumbled, sunshine?

Muhuhahaharrrr!
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:35 am

Owen will not join Liverpool.

Joaqin will move to Real Madrid in the next transfer window.

Dont know about the defender.
Chelsea forever.

Postby hobbes » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:53 am

Come home Owen. This is where you belong? Rafa could use his Spain connection to get Owen at least on a loan deal.

Rather than sitting on the bench or joing an alient team, it is better to play for your home team where you can fit in easy and people like you. Better still, you will be playing for the Champions.
hobbes

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:04 am

From the Telegraph:

(McDonalds Buccaneers) have no plans to sign Michael Owen from Real Madrid, well-informed sources close to Old Trafford have told The Daily Telegraph.

Despite fevered speculation that a deal to link up Owen with Wayne Rooney was inevitable, United have joined Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in ruling out a move for the unwanted England striker.

Speculation that United might make a move for Owen heightened at the weekend following comments by chief executive David Gill that if Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to buy a leading player then the money was available.

That was interpreted as a green light for United to buy Owen, but sources close to the club say it was a general statement indicating that the new owners, the Glazer family, had not put a block on spending.

Owen clearly wants to move from Madrid. He has not established any long-term roots in the city, does not speak the language and the arrival of two new Brazilians, Julio Baptista and Robinho, means he could now be the fifth-choice striker at Real, a long way behind the front runners, Raul and Ronaldo.

Last season Owen made only 26 starts, coming on as substitute in 19 other matches, and scoring a total of 16 goals. With the World Cup coming up he needs to be sure of a more regular place.

Even before the end of last season, approaches were made on Owen's behalf to English clubs about a possible move and Chelsea were one of the clubs sounded out but showed no interest. Arsenal's Arsene Wenger is an admirer but has said he does not consider signing Owen a priority and, in any case, might not be able to afford him.

While Real might sell Owen for around £10 million, providing them with a £2 million profit on what they paid Liverpool last season, there are Owen's considerable wages, which are believed to be near £5 million a year, to be taken into account.

Such an outlay would be a deterrent to any English club, even United where it could upset the wage structure and cause complications in the ongoing efforts to persuade Rio Ferdinand to extend his present contract, which runs out in two years' time.

There has been talk that if no English club are interested in Owen on a permanent basis then the only possibility of a return to the Premiership would be a loan to Liverpool. Yet this, too, seems unlikely and Rafael Benitez, the manager, last night declared he had no intention of exploiting his club's option to re-sign their former striker.

"I am looking for a centre-back and not a centreforward," said Benitez, who wants cover for Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia and has already spent £7 million on Southampton striker Peter Crouch. "He [Owen] is a good player, a nice boy, but only he can talk about his future because I only prefer to talk about our own future."

Benitez also fiercely defended his club after Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said that Steven Gerrard would live to regret his decision to stay on Merseyside.

"Steven will win more trophies here, maybe soon," he said. "I like to hear Mourinho talking about us. I don't like to talk about other clubs but when people talk about us it means we are important to them - we'll be a more dangerous team next season."

YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Homebooby » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:12 am

I think the real key to all of this is the price tag that is being put on his head. Should that price come down a few million, I am sure that there will be more than a few clubs fighting for him. Despite all the injury issues and poor advice he has received/accepted, I think the majority of people would like to have him on their books. I don't think that he is the be all and end all of strikers, but on his day, he'd do a great job for us.

A week is a long time in football and I think that with Owen (and Gerrard to an extent), we are starting to see a backlash towards the SFX manipulation of the media to the benefit of themselves and the players that they represent. It is actually nice to see the top managers all standing together on this one (perhaps it isn't intentionally and assuming the article is correct about Manure), I can't think of another situation with a top player where this has happened. hopefully it is a sign of the way transfers will work in the future. This summer has definitely slowed down and the amount of money flying out of the door for 1 player has dropped like a stone as well. This can only be a good thing.

I myself don't consider myself an expert and I have no sources at the club whatsoever  :p  , but am wondering if we could get him back for what we received last year, then the situation would be different. Ok, Rafa has said that we aren't looking for any strikers, but sometimes options come up that you don't foresee and you have to go for it. With noone claiming any interest in him, Madrid bringing in these new guys, the cost savings of Owens' wage bill could well be enough motivation for Madrid to drop their price.

Does anyone know if we got a full lump sum for Owen, or are we due to be paid more over time? If so, that even eases the pain of bringing him back. Wage wise he is not in such a position to demand as he once was? The shoe is on our foot now and I would love to see him back in the squad.

I always try to look at things from the human angle too. The lad is still v. young and I think took poor advice. Stevie is the same age and almost made the same mistake. The 2 of them are perfect examples of why you shouldn't get too greedy in life and appreciate what you have. Stevie will die a legend in the footsteps of greats such as Shanks, Paisley and Crazy Horse, Owen on the other hand has lost an awful lot. He has the time to gain it all back of course and I am sure that he has learnt a lot by stepping out into another environment. but he must be kicking himself at the same time.
Homebooby

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:44 pm

nice one wizard, maybe you should give your strong source a smack in the mouth, last time i listen or even take a slight interest to your :censored:
oOShrimpyOo

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:40 am

oOShrimpyOo wrote:nice one wizard, maybe you should give your strong source a smack in the mouth, last time i listen or even take a slight interest to your :censored:

Now whose being arrogant and unwelcoming!?!?!?!?!  :p  :wwww  :talktothehand  :no  :glare:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:34 pm

nobody is coming here mate, this is our sqaud.  Whether people are happy with it is another matter, but we aint getting all these stars thats for sure, this is LFC not bloody Barcelona.
109-1093441336

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:54 pm

The word optimist springs to mind.
66-1112520797

Postby stoney » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:43 pm

Whichever fool started this thread needs theyre head sorted
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:48 pm

this thread has run it's course
stmichael
Forum Moderator