Stevie gerrard - What is his role?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:58 am

Becks is the no.1 enigma but now he has become a passenger. Gerrard is more of an enigma because we all know what he can do yet he produces sparingly for England, most of the time, he is anonimous - perhaps this is due to the fact that he is asked to play out of his natural position or asked to hold when he plays in central midfield.

At Chelsea, Lampard is an important goalscoring midfielder and he has been more prolific than Gerrard while not as energetic. I don't forsee Chalsea sacrificing Lampard's game to accommodate Gerrard (if he goes there), Gerrard will more likely take up Makelele's posotion as the holding midfielder and sit back more. He may not be given the freedom of playing like he enjoys at Liverpool but with a very clever coach like Maurinho and with unlimited wealth from Abrahamovic, Chelsea will be able to promise Gerrard a strong squad which will challenge for top honours all the time.

Realistically, this is a big lure for a player who has yet to win a major medal like the EPL or the CL.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:37 am

Agree with all Supersub except the enigma for England bit. Think he's been our best player over the last couple of years to be honest. You are spot on though with the get as much money as we can angle. If he's gonna go, lets squeeze out the very best deal we can. 50 MILLION! If they want him they'll pay. Gotta say though I was shocked in what Lynds said about a clause to sell on if someone bids 30 mill'. If this is true its yet another financial faux-pas by the management.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Si » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:29 am

As long as we sign the right players with the cash - we won't miss him too much. But please...no more Josemis
Red_Si

Postby whelston23 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:30 am

i totally agree with some guys comment here... wat gerrard has said for the past few months realli put the fans and players in the club down... how can a captain of a great club ..say if liverpool is not goin to win this yr.. i will MOST probably leave... fans like us realli lose faith in him.. if he realli wants to leave... so be it! he made the fans feel like clowns...
whelston23

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:55 am

Do Chlesea need him that badly or is it just a case of weakening your opposition, not to say Gerrard is a worse player than Makelele or Lampard, cos he is better than both of them - but those two work well together for Chelsea and with guys like Tiago and Parker coming off the bench Chelsea have ample resources in central midfield.

If Gerrard is to leave I hope it is for a club on the continent.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfused » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:11 pm

stmichael

I think the role he should play is the one that the team needs the most, presently its goals and so he is pushed up. When the so called strikers come back then we still need him up front and when we buy some decent strikers in January we still need him more up front.

Sorted
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:14 pm

i agree but i don't think benitez sees it that way. i still question whether he knows what role he wants stevie to play long term if he stays at this club. the role he is playing now has been stumbled across due to injuries and suspensions rather than choice.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kindaconfused » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:23 pm

stmichael

Moving off topic slightly I think the January sales will tell us a lot about ol Raf and his strategy I just hope he dont try and do it on the cheap.

If he does I think it will be a watershed for LFC and if they dont inject cash then we will be 2nd rate for some time to come I'm afraid.

Kinda
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion