Moores considering quitting

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:26 am

Moore ponders future after stormy AGM

LIVERPOOL, England, Dec 2 (Reuters) - Liverpool chairman David Moores, who has a controlling stake in the club, says he is considering his position because of the strain of takeover talks.

Liverpool chairman: David Moores (BarryCoombs/Empics)

'This last 12 months has not been easy. It's been unbearable. I haven't slept and my family - it's difficult for them,' Moores told the club's annual general meeting on Thursday.

'I have to consider my options. I love the club, but clearly that's not enough. I can't compete with Mr Morgan's millions,' he added.

Moores, who owns a 51 percent stake in Liverpool, was referring to businessman Steve Morgan, who told the meeting that he had made a fourth bid to invest £70million in the club.

'There is an offer on the table,' said Morgan. 'And the money can be in the bank by Christmas.'

A consortium, led by U.S.-based film producer Mike Jefferies and lawyer Stuart Ford, said on Thursday that they may make a takeover bid and had approached the club's financial advisers.

That was later denied by Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry who said no talks had taken place.

'We are not in discussions with them, I can confirm that,' he said.

Another controversial bid from the Thai government, later taken on by Thai media tycoon Paiboon Damrongchaitham, stalled earlier in the year.

Moores's comments came after Morgan's wife Didy complained of Liverpool's reluctance to deal with her husband and said he had spent more than £300,000 in fees in his attempt to put money into the club.

'It's as if a deal would be done with the devil rather than my husband,' she said.

Moores said the latest offer from Morgan was being considered but the club were also bound to investigate the approach from L4.

The AGM also heard that the cost of a proposed switch from Anfield to a new 60,000 seater stadium at Stanley Park had risen from an estimated £80million to £115million.

Parry said the club was looking for a grant from the North West Development Agency but the chairman of the NWDA wanted a groundshare with city rivals Everton and a government ruling was expected by the end of the month.

Parry also revealed that the club decided to sell Michael Owen to Real Madrid for eight million pounds when the England striker refused to sign a new contract.

'It is telling that there were no other bidders for Michael Owen,' said Parry. 'We did test the water and there was no interest.'
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:34 am

Yer because if Morgan takes over he would be kicked out anyway.
So therefore he will resign before that chance arose for Morgan to say hey you now get 2 f@ck the way you have treated me :;):
Plus if he takes over no ground share with the blue noses, as im sure he would get the stadium built without having to share with them.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:46 am

There's already an active thread open on all of this.

Read before you post peeps.  :)
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion