David Moores

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:40 pm

Former chairman Favid Moores has passed away aged 76.

Very sad news. Apparently he lost his wife recently, too

I know he got a lot of stick for selling the club to Twit & *****. But he did a lot of great things for the club.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:42 pm

7_Kewell » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:40 pm wrote:Former chairman Favid Moores has passed away aged 76.

Very sad news. Apparently he lost his wife recently, too

I know he got a lot of stick for selling the club to Twit & *****. But he did a lot of great things for the club.

Full story from Guardian

The former Liverpool chairman and owner David Moores has died at the age of 76.

Moores died on Friday, weeks after his wife of 39 years, Marge. He was Liverpool’s chairman for 16 years from 1991 until selling his stake to Tom Hicks and George Gillett in 2007, after which he became the honorary life president.

Sir Kenny Dalglish led the tributes to the lifelong Liverpool fan. The club legend said on Twitter: “Marina and I are both very saddened by the passing of David Moores. He was a loyal Liverpool fan whose dream came true when he was appointed chairman and he did a tremendous amount to help the club. Our condolences go to his family. He’ll be greatly missed by all who knew him. RIP
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:28 am

He was a lifelong red, did his best with what he had but knew he couldn’t take the club forward competing against money bag teams so sold the team to owners with deeper pockets that turned out to be the worst owners in our history. Ultimately it was his responsibility but he was perhaps naive in believing what they said, namely no debt on the club which turned out to be a lie. Sad how he died soon after his wife. He was owner when we won the CL in 2005, probably one of our greatest victories as a team.

Rest In Peace
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:12 am

Yeah he obviously dropped a clanger selling the club to the other pair of carpetbaggers but as you say mate he was a red through and through, you can actually see images of him as a young man celebrating on the pitch with the likes of Kevin Keegan, Tommy Smith, Ray Clemence and Emlyn Hughes at the Bokelbergstadion in Germany when we beat BMG to win the UEFA cup in the early 70’s so he went back a long way.
Again as you say sad to see him pass away so soon after his wife as well.
RIP.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion