Ratings - Player ratings

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:52 pm

So I guess I have become the odd one out now since I don't rate Mellor. You can go on and on about his one goal, and use statistics, numbers and figures, whatever. I know a good footballer when I see one. I know what it takes in terms of physical, mental and technical skills to cut it at the very top. I must conclude that my ambitions for LFC are much bigger than others in here. Some people seems to be happy with the likes of Mellor, Murphy and Diao. So who are you trying to kid? Winning the premiership with those lads? So I am getting a verbal bashing because I dared to look a little bit ahead, not linger in the memories of our 3 points after a lucky strike in stoppage time? So I get unpopular for bringing up our many bad games since the loss of Baros and Cisse? A win against Gunners won't bring back points dropped vs Boro; Monaco and Birmingham. And I say it one more time, with Baros and Cisse we would have wiped the floor with all those teams. I am a Liverpool supporter, but I can also voice my concerns when I think we are in trouble or when I fear we might get into some. Observe. It is plain to see that Benitez do not rate either Mellor, Sinama or Kewell. Only after we had lost all our strikers AND attacking midfielders did he unleash Mellor. And did it pay off in Monaco? Against Birmingham? Well just look at the score. I only try to introduce some realism to this board. I know if the truth is spoken, it is sometimes hard to accept. Because if the truth is uncomfortable, it is better sometimes with white lies or plain denial. Lets hope the youngsters get a good result in London tomorrow, and lets pray that Baros is ready to face Olympiakos. By god we need him, I would not trust Mellor to deliver the goods. And since we are in financial distress we need CL revenue. A win against Olympiakos means a new signing in January, a loss means we can not afford one. So if this is what lies on the table, what striker would you play?

Firstly you don't know what it takes and you don't know a good player when you see one.

You said Murphy is poor.
You said Hyypia is "horrible".
You said Owen was poor.
You said Kirkland was horrible.
You said Carragher was "average at best".

You then made comments about Baros being world class. So you rate Baros above Owen...

That to me doesnt sound like someone who knows a good player when they see one.

You've mentioned alot of other players aswell that i can't think of off the top of my head.

You claim to have played the game to a good standard yet you don't undertstand pressure on a defence, attacking using width, awareness, link up play and technical ability. The attributes you seem to base your judgement of players on are there pace and if they are English or not.

You also think you're ambitions for LFC are higher then everyone in here? I'm sorry d![k, but no. I spend thousands a year watching my team and i can't wait to see the day we win the champions league but i am realistic. You can't have 4 players the quality of Gerrard in midfield and then 4 backup's of Alonso's quality. That seems to be your view point. Are you telling me players like Nicky Butt and Phillip Neville are better than Murphy, Carragher, Finnan and Hyypia? Are you suggesting players like Ljungberg, Toure and Lauren are top class players in the same mould as Alonso, Hyypia and Riise?

The fact is you don't need 11 superstars, you can do without any but its useful to have a few. The mix and TEAM balence are the most important things.

Also in football, you make your own luck. If you had played the game at ANY level you would know this.

With Baros and Cisse we'd have wiped the floor with all those teams would we? Well ok lad... as A.B. would ask, do you have a crystal ball? No you don't. So don't present junk opinions as facts because they don't wash.

You also state you are a liverrpool fc supporter. You simply aren't. You are a moaning, whinging, idiotic critic who can never find anything positive to say even after we played the champions of our country at there own game and restricted them to one chance missing both of our three first choice strikers, a half fit captain and missing our supposedly first choice right back.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:35 pm

I never thought I could trigger a chain reaction like this. I have almost single handedly kept this post alive getting more than 8 pages of sour grapes and more than 1500 views. That is some achievement.

I will not change my mind no matter how much people slag me off. I try to reason with love, and that is a losing game. If you are in love ugly becomes beautiful. I know a lad who loves a girl. She looks like her face got most of the nuclear waste from the Tchernobyl meltdown in 86 dropped on her forehead. But he loves her, and he is happy and free.

In real life I am a perfectionist. I never accept second best, and it is sometimes a problem because people think I am being negative. But I am not really, I only aim for more. If you accept status quo, there is no way you will ever improve.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:08 pm

No-one would argue with that.

But how on earth can you sit there and come out with some of the statements you do.

Anyone who knows about football will tell you Murphy is a GOOD player. Not a great player, not an excellent player. Just a GOOD player.

He would be good enough to play in one of the best sides in europe as the weakest link. Meaning he's no worse a player than Gary Neville was when he won the champions league.

He would be a good squad player at any top 6 premiership club and good enough to walk into any side outside that bracket. That isn't an unreasonable statement. For Liverpool he'd have been a player to come in when we had injuries. He'd have improved Liverpools team this season of that i'm sure.

The point is you say he's poor when he isn't. He's not in Alonso's class but he's still a decent player. He's not in Diao's or Diouf's class either.

The reason you get critisism, from me especially is your extremist view's such as these. I am a realist and i don't talk stupidly about things.

I don't expect 8 midfielders of Alonso and Gerrard's ability, that isn't gonna happen, hence the reason i am happy to have players like Murphy who can come in and do a decent job when there players are out.
115-1073096938

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:19 pm

Murphy always did my head in ,he was a very good player at set pieces and when he had time on the ball,but he was never convincing when we were struggling to get a break through and the pressure was on.(accept against the mancs of course).
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion