Ratings - Player ratings

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:29 pm

im starting to think that stu the red is the voice of reason
i personally thjought the team as awhole ran thee socks off, kewell included, and it was a great result
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:31 pm

its astonishing how some people are slagging mellor off. are people really expecting the lad to step up and be the finished article immediately??? good grief!

what does it take to please these people? yeah the guy gave the ball away a few times - who the f*ck didn't?? even the 3 players who bossed the midfield gave the ball away from time to time. bloody seasoned campainers too.

after the birmingham and middlesboro games players were getting slagged off for not showing commitment. have you seen many players give more commitment than mellor did on sunday? and so now your looking for other reasons to gripe. give us all a break.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:49 pm

can i just say (as in another thread) maybe i personally have been a touch harsh on Mellor. my first post wasnt slatin him, but was just reactin to people lovin him cos of his workrate, after all Baros works his balls off every time and some people still dont like him. but overrall, the lad has given a lion-hearted performance, played to the best of his ability, and scored a fabulous winner which has made everyone absolutely buzz. you cant ask for more than that.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:52 pm

Every player stuck to there jobs superbly yesterday and did everything wot was asked of them, the back 4 was excellent, Finnan and riise supported the wingers well, Pongolle gave evrything yesterday i was personally made up with his performance cos hes got a little bit of stick lately but he didnt hide once and whenever cole got the ball he was always there to close him down, i think he got forward about twice in the whole match, the triangle in midfield worked an absolute treat it was a tatical masterstroke by the genius that is benitez, Hamann didnt give any one a second, alonso was fantastic and Gerrard well if he was even a 100% yesterday, how good is he gonna be when he is, and mellor ran his socks off and he was so f*cked in the end all he could do was smash the ball as hard as he could from 30 yards and somehow it bent in to the far corner......Funny though how after that he managed to sprint to the kop!!!!! We played better yesterday than i could ever have imagined, so everyone stop having petty fu*kin jibes at are players and go out, buy every bloody newspaper and bask in the fact we played the champs off the fu*kin park, oh and have another pint while you read them if you can find a pub!!!
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lili » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:47 pm

Last season whe Owen was around Banana you where probably whingeing that he lacked effort and desire now youve got someone running there ****** of for 90min and scores and will score more gaols in this team and your still getting down on him we dont have to have world class players all over the pitch only a couple witch we have and the rest of the lads need to show 100% commitment everyweek had we will go places.And anyway any day we beat arsenal especially at home is a 10/10.
lili

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:52 pm

Kirkland - 6. Didn't have much to do, maybe could have closed the angle better, but thats just being picky!

Finnan - 8. Did well, kept Henry quiet when he drifted, kept the ball and pushed up when he could.

Riise - 6. Looked a bit shaky at times, let people beat him too easy, but O.K.

Hyypia - 8. Excellent perfromance, charged Henry down quickly and denied him possesion.

Carragher - 8. Same as Hyypia, done very well.

Pongolle - 7. Thought he done well in an unfamilar position. Worked hard when defending in both halfs, and done O.K attcking wise.

Kewell - 6. Involved in both goals, but was quiet apart from that, but done O'K.

Hamann - 8. His best perfromance for a long time, won endless tackles, and denied space and time to Arsenal. Used the ball well.

Alonso - 7. Took his goal well, and worked hard.

Gerrard - 8. Fantastic, looked much better than in his previous two matches. Tackled, passed, ran, done everything.

Mellor - 8. Worked hard, looks short of stamina, but he done well, put himself about more and denied the defenders time. What can I say about the goal. Denied Viera a free header and he was alert to the chance.

I think the most important thing was that no one was really a liabliity, Everyone contributed in some way.
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:53 pm

I know Mellor lacks class (or so it seems) but look back over the last 30 years of football and you get a guy who everyone slates, yet he gets a lucky break and starts popping them in. It could happen with Mellor.

Fair play to the guy for his contribution yesterday: you don't have to do flicks, dribbles and back heels to be superb.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby polygemus » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:03 pm

I agree with you on one thing that we don't have enough options up front, we need Baros and Garcia back ASAP and hoepfully Morientes in January.

Sorry to disappoint u LFC#1 but Morientes is not coming. Liverpool is in the red financially this year and we cannot afford the transfer fee. We are in the red becuz we failed to qualify for CL during 2002-03 season and that costs us 25 million pounds.

I just wish to add that Pongolle and Kewell deserve more credit. They covered there area and kept Cole and Lauren completely out of the game. Those too Arsenal players are a major part of Arsenal's attack,  and for me that is a major reason why Arsenal only got one shot on goal, and no corners.

Cole and Lauren were pinned to the back becuz Riise and Finnan were overlapping. If it were Josemi & Traore the story would have been much different.

I hope Benitez sees the sense of playing Riise & Finnan as fullbacks. They give us more pace & more commitment.
polygemus

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:52 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I know Mellor lacks class (or so it seems) but look back over the last 30 years of football and you get a guy who everyone slates, yet he gets a lucky break and starts popping them in. It could happen with Mellor.

Fair play to the guy for his contribution yesterday: you don't have to do flicks, dribbles and back heels to be superb.

david speedie  :p

ronny rosental  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:01 pm

Mellor ran his socks off. Especially in the 1st half when the whole team was playing at 100 KM/H. I actually thought that in the 2nd half, arsenal will slaughter us (as in highbury)

So when he was a yard late for the crosses/passes & ran slowly, it was due to fatigue. Although, i reckon mellor has to lose a few more pounds & work on his fitness.

Mellor is a welcome change from heskey. At least mellor uses his physical strength to his advantage. Defenders hate to play against such forwards.
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:01 pm

The_Rock wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:I know Mellor lacks class (or so it seems) but look back over the last 30 years of football and you get a guy who everyone slates, yet he gets a lucky break and starts popping them in. It could happen with Mellor.

david speedie  :p

ronny rosental  :p

Precisely my good man!!!!!  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:46 pm

I understand you get carried away in the moment. By reading some of the over hyped comments, I must conclude that Mellor is friggin great. I guess we do not need new strikers in january then? Be realistic, Mellor can run and fight, but he is so slow and technically inept that he will never offer anything for us. I still claim a better striker would have won us the game earlier. Baros would have netted three goals yesterday given the quality of passing, crosses and movement from the lads. I will let him have his 5 minutes of fame, and I daresay some people will have a lot of explaining to do when we continue to drop points against other teams because we have no decent strikers. One win in 4 games is not great. Mellor did nothing in Monaco, and no one threathned Birmingham and Boro. Yesterdays strike was like winning the lottery, and that happens only once. We are still in deep trouble, and risk losing a lot of games and getting thrown out of CL.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:28 pm

I understand you get carried away in the moment. By reading some of the over hyped comments, I must conclude that Mellor is friggin great. I guess we do not need new strikers in january then? Be realistic, Mellor can run and fight, but he is so slow and technically inept that he will never offer anything for us. I still claim a better striker would have won us the game earlier. Baros would have netted three goals yesterday given the quality of passing, crosses and movement from the lads. I will let him have his 5 minutes of fame, and I daresay some people will have a lot of explaining to do when we continue to drop points against other teams because we have no decent strikers. One win in 4 games is not great. Mellor did nothing in Monaco, and no one threathned Birmingham and Boro. Yesterdays strike was like winning the lottery, and that happens only once. We are still in deep trouble, and risk losing a lot of games and getting thrown out of CL.

Could have, would have, should have, maybe we might and maybe we won't. Thats all your arguement consists of.

Had we had a striker on the pitch of Baros's quality that might have had less of a positive effect on the psychological state of the team effecting the performance so don't make such a balls statement.

He's not the quickest and Technically he's not the best but he's honest and knows where the net is and after yesterday i'm very happy to have him here. He simply ran his balls off.

If we have a 5th choice forward who can do that thats good enough for me. No fool here is saying he's the long term great and next big thing, not many here think he's good enough for a regular game for Liverpool, i certainly dont, but i do believe with the right backing and training he can become a decent (not overly paid) hard working striker who can do a job in such a situation. He's also a product of the youth system as apose to a cheap ****** forgein import. He scored a great goal in a very important situation and gave more effort than ANYONE on that pitch yesterday and you haven't got the decency to say well played. You done well lad. Lets see if you can do it next week...

Lets be honest, he's not going to play against Campbell and Toure every week. His movement is clever and he can finish so given the right service he could score a few goals.

I hope he shoves your words down your throat and scores another 3 or 4 goals over the coming weeks.

The other point here is, the way you slated Owen who was unquestionabley world class. What do you have against players from the youth team?

Mellor, Owen, Carragher... then Murphy and Kirkland who were brought in... Oh thats right... they're all english!!! FOOL :D
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:45 pm

Carragher has proved to be a really good central defender. At right back he suffered because of his limitations. No one in here has supported Carragher more than me since he has found his place in the team at central back.

Murphy was a bad player. Look at Alonso and you see what passing and moving the ball around is all about. Murphy is not even fit to shine Alonso's boots.

Owen had left us years ago. In the end he was not interested in the team, just himself. This is a fact.

Kirkland made a series of silly mistakes when he replaced Dudek. He seems more safe now, and maybe he can prove me wrong? I do however believe he is a bit slow and that his footwork let him down at times.

Mellor. Nuff said. 5 minutes of fame. West Ham gave him a fair chance, and he was nowhere near good enough for them. Then how in h.e,ll shouyld he be good enough for us. They used a 40 year old Brian Deane instead, and would have preferred Mark Bright at 45 as a target man instead of Mellor. He scored a good goal. That's it.

And your constant whining about me never been at games should stop. I have seen games at Estadio Monumantal, La Bombonera, Maracana, Riazor, Nou Camp, Highbury, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Puscas Stadium, Weser stadion, Olympic stadium in munich, Nya Ullevi, Parken Copenhague, Estadio Bolivar, Estadio Peron and so on. I have seen live games in three continents. More than 150 top games. And I have played at a decent level as well. When I played I hated unfit players. Mellor is unfit. Pure and simple. You, on the other hand Stu, have NEVER played football at a fair level and do not understand the physical and technical aspect.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:53 pm

banana wrote:Mellor. Nuff said. 5 minutes of fame. West Ham gave him a fair chance, and he was nowhere near good enough for them.

Thats not what happened at West Ham. He was brought in by a manager who rated him, then cast aside by a new manager that didn't. He had injury and personal problems as well. In a couple of games at the start of his West Ham career he actually played extremely well, but he fell victim to the regime change at Upton Park last year.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion