Actim index ratings 08/09 - Team of the season & player ratings

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DrPepe » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:As said, Barry is a lot better than some on here think. While these stats are just for a laugh really, they do indicate whether someone has had a decent season or not. Alonso is obviously not in the top 10 midfielders because they must have a seperate category for deep lying playmakers  :D

I am pleased to see Kuyt getting some sort of recognition for his much improved play in the second half of the season.

Yup, Barry's so good he's ranked higher than Gerrard.  :laugh:

For something that's supposed to be 'objective' and 'scientific' I find it curious that it speaks about the "10 top midfielders" without acknowledging that wingers, attacking midfielders and deep-lying playmakers perform different functions.  Are they all midfielders?  Perhaps, but are we comparing like for like here? ???

I'm not sure it really matters which position a player is used - for the Actim stats, "Midfielder" is just an artificial categorisation to help when the reader compares players - it's not like fantasy footy where a defender will get a higher score than a midfielder or forward does when he gets a goal, for example... hence players who don't score any/many goals and CBs getting v high ratings

:help
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:47 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:As said, Barry is a lot better than some on here think. While these stats are just for a laugh really, they do indicate whether someone has had a decent season or not. Alonso is obviously not in the top 10 midfielders because they must have a seperate category for deep lying playmakers  :D

I am pleased to see Kuyt getting some sort of recognition for his much improved play in the second half of the season.

For something that's supposed to be 'objective' and 'scientific' I find it curious that it speaks about the "10 top midfielders" without acknowledging that wingers, attacking midfielders and deep-lying playmakers perform different functions.  Are they all midfielders?  Perhaps, but are we comparing like for like here? ???

Hardly surprising as Gerrard has been playing support striker all season....... thought you might have noticed that  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 pm

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Hardly surprising as Gerrard has been playing support striker all season....... thought you might have noticed that  :D

I certainly did but obviously these statos didn't when they decided to include him amongst the midfielders rather than strikers. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 am

absolutely ridiculous that torres is 10th striker... how can anyone explain that?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 am

maguskwt wrote:absolutely ridiculous that torres is 10th striker... how can anyone explain that?

cos he didn't play for almost half the season i'd imagine
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:03 pm

DrPepe wrote:
maguskwt wrote:absolutely ridiculous that torres is 10th striker... how can anyone explain that?

cos he didn't play for almost half the season i'd imagine

Exactly. Based on cumulative points, not being top scorer, not doing a huge amount of tackling and not making as many appearances as other strikers would do it.

Yet you can bet 1/3+ of people on forums will put Torres in their team of the season.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:53 pm

aCe' wrote:hehe.. as in the best performer this season in the position... if he was considered a forward then the likes of Anelka, RVP, and Torres amongst others would be better calls... wingers i'd go for Ronaldo, Rooney, Young and maybe even Lennon before kuyt...

Young has combusted in the second part of the season , hasn't performed as well , lennon what his goal and assist ratio ? Ronaldo has been playing more as a forward and rooney hasn't been that effective has a left midfielder as well . Some on here are just anti kuyt , the lad has had a brilliant season , popped up with 15 goals from the wide and 10 or so assist , find a better midfielder in his position who has done , good to see the lad getting some reconigiton even though its not from his own club fans
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion