Ratings - Player ratings

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:46 pm

stu_the_red wrote:players like Carlton Palmer.

:laugh:

Quality.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:59 pm

bigmick wrote:Does that mean that anyone who is an OOT hasn't got a clue about Liverpool football club?

YES

(sorry Mick i couldnt resist, see the Canadian Red episode.)
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:00 pm

adayinthelife wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:players like Carlton Palmer.

:laugh:

Quality.

i know, STU you must be bad if you've played with him.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:48 pm

I'll put that down to a lack of understanding and lack of experience as to how good these players are.

He's played for England.

Was very impressive, one of the best players i've played with or against, i used to think i could tackle untill i played against him and he's rediculously strong. Technically he wasn't bad, but he read the game well aswell. Wasn't the cleverest of players with the ball though, doesn't see quick 1-2's.

One thing you realise when you play at that level is how big a factor experience and confidence actually is.

If any average of even quality sunday league player thinks they can compete with players like that they are stupidly mistaken.
115-1073096938

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:26 pm

bigmick wrote: :D Really good thread. Loved it all. Just a bit of a shame about the OOT stuff. Does that mean that anyone who is an OOT hasn't got a clue about Liverpool football club? S'pse it must do.
What happens if you move to merseyside, does an arch-angel come down from above and bestow a higher football knowledge on all who can claim to be living within ten miles of Anfield? Or is it only if you were actually born there? If thats the case, what happens if you were born ther but moved away at an early age, does the "knowledge" follow you wherever you go? Or do you have to move back to re-aquire the secret of pass and move. Or, and this is the crux really, is the whole thing just a load of old b *ll*c*ks?

Mick, no offence to yourself, if you are OOt, I honestly thought you where a local lad, so that is testament to the regard you are held in with regard to your posting and knowledge.

No it does not mean that all OOTers are know nothings, just that the majority are. There is no arguing this point, it is highlighted on here on a daily basis. See Canadian Red, Banana, AB, 1234ram, Pig Catcher and a whole host of others for examples.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:57 pm

Hi Leon mate, none taken. Fair enough some who post aren't as knowledgeable as others but its not down to where you are from OR how often you get to games in my view. It's all opinions, fluff and pish at the end of the day anyhow. All this is well and good but it's difficult I agree to defend a bloke who thinks we signed Kewell from Everton. To be fair to the Mounty though, he's taken the remorseless ribbing since in good part when many would have thought better of it and changed their name or whatever. I have to say your view on some of the others is a little scathing (I know you disagree but I find A.B. an intersting read and on occasions insightful. Always full value for money and unfailingly hilarious.) These idiots who flood the thing with three word threads are the real pain.
It's just I hate all "isms". Racism, outoftownism etc etc. About the only one I can stand is Manuism, an affliction affecting about 95% of the population it seems to me.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:52 pm

Hey stu I know stockport are ****** but I didn't think they were desperate enough to give you a game. :laugh:
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:08 pm

:D  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:59 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
bigmick wrote::D Really good thread. Loved it all. Just a bit of a shame about the OOT stuff. Does that mean that anyone who is an OOT hasn't got a clue about Liverpool football club? S'pse it must do.
What happens if you move to merseyside, does an arch-angel come down from above and bestow a higher football knowledge on all who can claim to be living within ten miles of Anfield? Or is it only if you were actually born there? If thats the case, what happens if you were born ther but moved away at an early age, does the "knowledge" follow you wherever you go? Or do you have to move back to re-aquire the secret of pass and move. Or, and this is the crux really, is the whole thing just a load of old b *ll*c*ks?

Mick, no offence to yourself, if you are OOt, I honestly thought you where a local lad, so that is testament to the regard you are held in with regard to your posting and knowledge.

No it does not mean that all OOTers are know nothings, just that the majority are. There is no arguing this point, it is highlighted on here on a daily basis. See Canadian Red, Banana, AB, 1234ram, Pig Catcher and a whole host of others for examples.

Although I am an Out of Towner I agree with you to a large extent.

In Australia and NZ you meet a lot of fans of Manure, Arsenal and Liverpool who really couldn't uphold a 5 min conversation about the club with you.

However you do get the odd fan like Laza or Starbridge42 for example on here who is very dedicated and knows a lot about the club, its players and History.

I can sympathise with you Leon, becasue I have met many fans over here (mostly Manure) who really coyldn't give a ****** and if "their" club got relegated they would either jump ship or stop supporting the club altogether.

That is why I hope to move to Liverpool one day where football is the number one sport and I can attend matches regularly like yourself.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:33 am

So I guess I have become the odd one out now since I don't rate Mellor. You can go on and on about his one goal, and use statistics, numbers and figures, whatever. I know a good footballer when I see one. I know what it takes in terms of physical, mental and technical skills to cut it at the very top. I must conclude that my ambitions for LFC are much bigger than others in here. Some people seems to be happy with the likes of Mellor, Murphy and Diao. So who are you trying to kid? Winning the premiership with those lads? So I am getting a verbal bashing because I dared to look a little bit ahead, not linger in the memories of our 3 points after a lucky strike in stoppage time? So I get unpopular for bringing up our many bad games since the loss of Baros and Cisse? A win against Gunners won't bring back points dropped vs Boro; Monaco and Birmingham. And I say it one more time, with Baros and Cisse we would have wiped the floor with all those teams. I am a Liverpool supporter, but I can also voice my concerns when I think we are in trouble or when I fear we might get into some. Observe. It is plain to see that Benitez do not rate either Mellor, Sinama or Kewell. Only after we had lost all our strikers AND attacking midfielders did he unleash Mellor. And did it pay off in Monaco? Against Birmingham? Well just look at the score. I only try to introduce some realism to this board. I know if the truth is spoken, it is sometimes hard to accept. Because if the truth is uncomfortable, it is better sometimes with white lies or plain denial. Lets hope the youngsters get a good result in London tomorrow, and lets pray that Baros is ready to face Olympiakos. By god we need him, I would not trust Mellor to deliver the goods. And since we are in financial distress we need CL revenue. A win against Olympiakos means a new signing in January, a loss means we can not afford one. So if this is what lies on the table, what striker would you play?
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:40 am

no-one is saying he is the solution to our problems, he is average at best.

just the tone of your posts are so negative and pessimistic.

Mellor isn't the next big thing, no-one believes that, just give the lad some well deserved credit after the hard-work he put in and fantastic goal he scored agianst Arsenal.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:45 am

I've said it and so many others have said it as well. Mellor is no class player but we are in a tough spot and we have no other choice but to use what Mellor has to offer and that is the ability to score goals. If Mellor scores goals such as the one he scored against Arsenal then why not use them until Baros,Garcia return ?

Nobody is here saying that we should use Mellor for the remainder of the season, but we need to use what we have to survive in the next 4-5 fixtures.
Last edited by A.B. on Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:09 am

banana wrote:So I guess I have become the odd one out now since I don't rate Mellor. You can go on and on about his one goal, and use statistics, numbers and figures, whatever. I know a good footballer when I see one. I know what it takes in terms of physical, mental and technical skills to cut it at the very top. I must conclude that my ambitions for LFC are much bigger than others in here. Some people seems to be happy with the likes of Mellor, Murphy and Diao. So who are you trying to kid? Winning the premiership with those lads? So I am getting a verbal bashing because I dared to look a little bit ahead, not linger in the memories of our 3 points after a lucky strike in stoppage time? So I get unpopular for bringing up our many bad games since the loss of Baros and Cisse? A win against Gunners won't bring back points dropped vs Boro; Monaco and Birmingham. And I say it one more time, with Baros and Cisse we would have wiped the floor with all those teams. I am a Liverpool supporter, but I can also voice my concerns when I think we are in trouble or when I fear we might get into some. Observe. It is plain to see that Benitez do not rate either Mellor, Sinama or Kewell. Only after we had lost all our strikers AND attacking midfielders did he unleash Mellor. And did it pay off in Monaco? Against Birmingham? Well just look at the score. I only try to introduce some realism to this board. I know if the truth is spoken, it is sometimes hard to accept. Because if the truth is uncomfortable, it is better sometimes with white lies or plain denial. Lets hope the youngsters get a good result in London tomorrow, and lets pray that Baros is ready to face Olympiakos. By god we need him, I would not trust Mellor to deliver the goods. And since we are in financial distress we need CL revenue. A win against Olympiakos means a new signing in January, a loss means we can not afford one. So if this is what lies on the table, what striker would you play?

very fine if Baros and Cisse are both fit and scoring regularly, we will play them up front instead of Mellor, but that ain't the situation is it? We are short handed and Mellor is our best stop gap cover, and banging in a few goal won't hurt. Blame Houllier for spending the club's funds on some rubbish and leave the team selection to Rafa. Also please stop the excessive negativism especially coming from a good team performance and win. At least say a thanks and give this lad some support.
I can't help but think he was picked on because he scored the last seconds winning goal...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:45 am

Santa you're not on your own mate. I don't rate him either. Great goal sunday, worked his nuts off but ultimately a little short if you ask me. Anyways, done it to death now so that'll do for me. I'm not even gonna bother replying when somone posts up "yeh but he's all we've got at the moment. Whats the alternative? etc etc. " He is, and at the moment there isn't one. The sooner there is though, the better.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:03 pm

Yeah me too...but I can't help but stand up for the team when the so-called "Supporters" of our club start slagging the players unnecessarily, especially someone who have just scored a winning goal that will etched in my memory for sometime. I can understand if the team put up a lacklustre performance like against Boro & Birmingham but last Sunday we out-tought and out-fought the champ with a great team performance yet it is still not enought for these "fans". This is a team sport and everyone contribute and played their part, and as far as I am concerned, Mellor "DID" his part with his goal. sigh!
Last edited by Santa on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion