Ratings - Player ratings

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:56 am

Get off my back LFC#1. I only try to bring some realism into the picture. Don't let us get carried away by a lucky strike in stoppage time please. There are more than 20 games left of the season and we are still without decent options up front. For me this means truble, and we have seen how troubled we really are in recent games vs. Boro, Birmingham and Monaco. One win in four games is not very impressive to me, and not nearly good enough to fight for top honours. I was of course excited by Mellor's fantastic strike, and happy for the lads 5 minutes of fame

You do realize that we are not going to be with Pongolle and Mellor for the whole season? By late December Baros will return and in January we are expected to sign a new striker so things will not look the same two months from now.

Be realistic all you want but you got to be optimistic.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:01 am

Banana ? Before you accuse me of getting on your back DID YOU GO ? ???

If you had gone you would have seen the effort the lad put in over the 89 mins you say he was "pizz poor" ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:03 am

A.B. wrote:Be realistic all you want but you got to be optimistic.

he is borderline pessimistic A.B.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:11 am

mellor was instrumental (alongside gerrard) in breaking up arsenal's attacks in their own half - never letting them get their game going, dragging defenders around, chasing balls.

banana - watch the game again.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:14 am

Mellor was a PEST !!!!!! the kind of player Defenders hate playing against , he ran his tessies off :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby charwell » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:19 am

Pizz poor - utter garbage. The lad ran his tripe out and unsettled their back four all day. And a strike like that means even if he sat on the half way line picking his nose all afternoon then smashed that winner I would forgive him!

I am by no means Mellors biggest fan, in fact he is distinctly average but credit where it's due he was part of a lionhearted effort today and was the best I have seen him. Take a bow Mr Mellor.
charwell

Postby banana » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:30 am

charwell wrote:Pizz poor - utter garbage. The lad ran his tripe out and unsettled their back four all day. And a strike like that means even if he sat on the half way line picking his nose all afternoon then smashed that winner I would forgive him!

I am by no means Mellors biggest fan, in fact he is distinctly average but credit where it's due he was part of a lionhearted effort today and was the best I have seen him. Take a bow Mr Mellor.

This is insane. People getting carried away. Ok we earned 3 points today, but keep in mind that we have lost 6 points against boro and birmingham because of poor attacking options. Plus we could easily get kicked out of europe if we dont score some goals against Olympiakos. Do you think Mellor will score twice against the greeks? When paople say that Mellor unsettled their defence, gave them a hard time etc. it is utter garbage. Mellor never threathened their defence. He ran around a fair bit and gave 100% effort, and I always appreciate effort and heart. But his lack of abilities and pace especially made him half a second late in all situations. We won 3 points, we got lucky, but we won't win the lottery every week.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:10 am

banana wrote:
charwell wrote:Pizz poor - utter garbage. The lad ran his tripe out and unsettled their back four all day. And a strike like that means even if he sat on the half way line picking his nose all afternoon then smashed that winner I would forgive him!

This is insane. People getting carried away. Ok we earned 3 points today, but keep in mind that we have lost 6 points against boro and birmingham because of poor attacking options. Plus we could easily get kicked out of europe if we dont score some goals against Olympiakos. Do you think Mellor will score twice against the greeks? When paople say that Mellor unsettled their defence, gave them a hard time etc. it is utter garbage. Mellor never threathened their defence. He ran around a fair bit and gave 100% effort, and I always appreciate effort and heart. But his lack of abilities and pace especially made him half a second late in all situations. We won 3 points, we got lucky, but we won't win the lottery every week.

Banana, you are expecting too much from this young lad. He gave a lion heart performance, ran his socks off and I did secretly wished he had scored a goal to keep his place ahead of FSP. He's in a way like Carragher, non-too flashy but with good attitude and desire to put on THE red shirt unlike some highly paid players of ours last season.
FFS he only started a couple of games this season and already scored the winner against cup holder Boro and Premierleague champ Arsenal, give him a break will ya?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:20 am

banana wrote:Mellor never threatened their defence but his lack of abilities and pace especially made him half a second late in all situations.

Classic. :laugh:

You obviously know nothing about football.

Ask Campbell IMO 1 of the best centre halfs in the world if he had an easy game ???

By the way we only need to score once against olympiakos to qualify.
Last edited by adayinthelife on Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:49 am

Though I still dun rate Mellor as a good player, gotta admit he did his job. Mellor scored!

He scored a goal worthy of praises from us. Since he is the best we have got now, lets hope that he can continue to score like that. Will give him a 7 though. His 1st 60 minutes was similar to Monaco's performance. But with more matches, he'll definitely improve.

If you gotta kick a player's ******, that gotta be Kewell. We had 10 players playing their hearts out except him. He still can't perform for what we have purchased him for. A 5.5 rating. If Kewell were to played better, our midfield would have contain the gunners more effectively.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am

banana

good play from a forward is not just about hitting the back of the net every time you get the ball. if mellor hadn't worked so hard defending from the front i don't know if we'd have been so able to win the game.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:37 am

got to say,while i applaud Mellor's contribution, (his workrate was probably even better than Baros when he plays) i tend to agree with banana's comment that his lack of ability resulted in him spurning posession sometimes or bein that half a second slow in thinking. i just remember bein frustrated with him sometimes during the game. i havent forgot even though he scored a great winner for us. dont get me wrong everyone who comes in and works like that deserves praise, but i think some people are judging hm more on his great winner.

i dont want to sound harsh becoz he gave his all and you cant ask for more than that, but his lack of ability can be frustratin at times when moves break down.

i would just say to banana though that maybe these posts arent timed well as people are obviously revelling in his great winner which is oh so sweet considerin we havent had a last minute winner for ages, also against arsenal who didnt deserve their victory here last year, and with a well depleted team, the result bein fantastic, tremendous stike also. loads of reasons why people are over the moon. maybe the realistic posts are best kept for when the euphoria has died down a bit.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:21 am

Mellor was a prolific scorer in the reserve league and he have just moved up, so it will take time for him to improve his all round game and cope with the demand at this level. Don't be too harsh on him just yet. Cast you mind back to 2 seasons ago across Stanley Park when the then-mini-Shreak scored a super goal to beat Arsenal...you never know, with confidence Mellor might develop into a pretty decent striker...?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:43 am

When paople say that Mellor unsettled their defence, gave them a hard time etc. it is utter garbage. Mellor never threathened their defence. He ran around a fair bit and gave 100% effort, and I always appreciate effort and heart.

Quite simply the biggest know-nothing on these boards now Hustler has left.

I'll explain it for you pea brain. :)

Arsenal play a very europian style of football where they pass the ball around at the back and play the ball into midfield. They then attack in numbers, they swarm forward, 5 or 6 players at a time. This includes the full backs usually with the central midfielders holding and covering for these players.

Now no-one here is sayin Mellor is the next big thing, he isn't. But what he done yesterday was STOPPED Arsenal's fullbacks and centre halfs playing the ball around the defence and picking easy passes into midfield. He worked his ****** off. If you give Arsenal time at the back they will punish you severely. Watch the game at highbury last season to see what i'm talking about, Arsenal 4 - Liverpool 2. At half time we were the better side and played well. In the second half the pressure stopped and Heskey dropped back into a withdrawn role which caused us problems.

If Arsenal's full backs can't get forward, then the midfield has to open up and they attack from there. When you do that against players like Gerrard, Alonso, Hamann and Kewell at his best, teams will simply rip you to shreds and out number you in midfield on occassions which is EXACTLY what happened yesterday. Liverpool simply had more options than Arsenal.

And the MAIN reason...

Gerrard and Mellor yesterday both ran there ****** off pressing defenders into making mistakes and sloppy passes from which we gained ALOT of possession and a few chances. There positional play to stop the defenders passing the ball around and the tackling and work rate put Arsenal's defence under massive pressure. There wasn't one incident yesterday where a defender had a ball and Gerrard AND Mellor worked as a team to close them down, it happened everytime one of them had the ball. Also, both of them tracked back countless times to steel the ball off Arsenal's midfielders.

The other thing is, aswell as all this, he scored a belter of a goal which got us the three points.

Now i can understand you're never been to a game and you only see whats on television, but why argue with people who were there and can see the big picture and simply live and love a football enviroment?

Yes Mellor gave the ball away a couple of times but the effort was there, it was also there when he played in Alonso to shoot from the edge of the box in the second half, it was also there when he was WRONGLY judged offside and hit the crossbar and it was also there for the defining moment of the match in which he out thought and reacted quicker to a situation than one of the worlds best players and rattled home a shot from 25 yards.

You're simply picking the wrong time to critisise the lad. Now do us ALL a favour, stop talking ****** and f*&k off. :)
115-1073096938

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:25 pm

Why are people nit pickin over mellors performance, the lads just hit his 1st league goal in the last minute, in front of the kop against the champions and inflicted just there 2nd defeat in 54 games, we know hes never gonna be the best striker in the world but all we could ask for is 100% and thats wot he did and he got wot he deserved.....And its been along time since the grounds been buzzing like that me heart was pounding all night.

Thanks Mellor, you made my fu*kin day.
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion