Darwin Núñez  Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Doeboy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 pm

Came on today and loses the ball a couple of times. He'll have good games because he has natural ability but he isn't technically up to it to rely on week in week out. Starting to feel we had our pants massively pulled down with the money we paid for him.
Doeboy

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 pm

Cavani from wish.com!!
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:02 am

Darwin Nunez has played 30 games in the EPL this season and has the same number of yellow cards (8) as he does assists. There's a message in there somewhere.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:30 pm

It hasn't worked.

Maybe a different manager could get something out of him.

But I'm not convinced.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:53 pm

What's clearly noticable in our forwards is the lack of composure. For example, today Jota gets the ball in a bit of space but a defender is right next to him, Jota drags a bit to the left and then scores with his weaker foot. Later Salah and Nunez find themselves in space and in front of goal, oppo defenders not near enough to them, they take a shot with their stroger foot, didn't even hit the target.

Someone in the match thread said and I also mentioned it a while ago that Salah and Diaz might be leaving and both should get us decent money. We'll need a new proper striker or two but this time I'd like us to look at players who actually convert the little chances they get as opposed to what we were looking before in a forward, and that is how many chances they get in a game, disregarding if they've scored them or not.

I will say it again, if Amorim comes then I'd like him to take his current forward with him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:44 pm

Always said if we had a Kane or lewandoski they would get 50+ a season with us. We create a shocking amount of chances but the conversion rate is so bad. Jota hands down the best finisher with at least 2 out of 5 chances taken. Nunez, Salah, Diaz and Gakpo could be zero out of 5. Problem with Jota though is the injuries.

I agree we need to do something up front next season and I think it's time to try something else. I only really watch prem footy so wouldn't know much about other leagues. Isak is a good finisher imo and I think Palmer is also tidy and composed.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:13 am

You're right Red, we simply bought the wrong man for the job.

It isn't Darwin's fault that he's not good enough, he is what he is. Leaving Benfica for Liverpool didn't improve his capability, it just gave him a different stage to play on.
It's Klopp's fault for keep picking him, knowing he's not good enough.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:31 pm

Not his fault, he just isn't a top quality reliable striker. Can pull off moments but over the course of a season isn't going to deliver.
Doeboy

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:43 pm

We've tried everything to get behind him.. I've had his name on the back of my shirt for the last 2 seasons. But he's just not going to be good enough if we want to continue winning trophies and challenging for the league. He was awful tonight, and fluffed another sitter.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:24 am

Not going to blame him fully for our recent downfall but if he was any good he would've banged in those chances his had against recent teams and we possibly could've been in a different situation by now. 80-90 odd mill and he hasn't turned up when it really mattered.

Salah is declining that is for sure but Nunez is meant to be getting to his prime, 2nd season with us and still a numpty in front of goal. I was a huge fan of him and hoped he would crack on, he had like a cult following from us fans. Bottom line his poor upfront and can't be relied on at all, sell him and let him flourish in Dutch league or wherever.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 am

The weaknesses in his game are not coachable at 25 years old. As a squad option he is useful as has the ability to cause issues to the opposition but not too sure what we should do with him now.

In hindsight, £80m was a ridiculous fee to pay for him. I remember I was excited when he signed but was thinking the numbers involved were insane bearing in mind he only had one good season behind him at the top level.

If someone comes in with a £50m-55m offer for him, think we may just end up cutting our losses.
Doeboy

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:39 am

Klopps’s the main problem. Nunez shouldn’t be on the pitch and it’s Klopp who sends him out there.
Slot will have learned a lot from watching that game, and not good things, unfortunately.
Klopp is a romantic at heart, he believes in magical moments. It worked for years, but there’s no more rabbits in the hat …
In his winning dream Nunez will score at hattrick, but it’s a recurring dream and he won’t let it go.
Guardiola is a pragmatist. Evidenced by the way he’s managed Jack Grealish.
We need three new strikers and one of them should be Harry Kane but that won’t happen.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 am

It's always been akward when the club has paid big money for a striker and they've failed.
Cisse, Caroll and now Nunez as the club just can't just sweep these kinds of mistakes under the rug.
It just can't afford to sell them right away as the loss would be immense and the is no way the club can just go out these and immediately
get a top class replacement as there isn't the money to get another one. Which is why is so damn important to get it right at the first try.
So stupid to compare with City who has probably ***** away more money since the owners took over but doesn't not have to care as they will just
get another player.

Nunez will incur a HUGE loss once he is soid which is why he won't be sold in the summer...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:18 pm

The only thing we can hope for is the new coach will get more out of him than Klopp has, there is no way we are selling him this summer at the price we need to recoup.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby electrum » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 pm

It's time to cut our losses..he is 25 , yes 25 not 20 or 21. He is not getting any better at the basics of the game, period.

His first touch is sublime or that of a novice depending on the day of the week. His shot selection is hardly PL league, never mind of Liverpool FC standards.

He is simply not a player for a team with any aspirations of winning the PL.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion