Darwin Núñez  Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:50 pm

Darwin Nunez: Why Liverpool's agent of chaos is on the right path at Anfield
Sky Sports News senior reporter Melissa Reddy analyses Darwin Nunez's start to life at Liverpool following his initial £64m move from Benfica, which could rise to £85m; with Luis Diaz and Diogo Jota facing months out, Liverpool will need the Uruguay striker to step up

Melissa Reddy
Senior Reporter
Wednesday 19 October 2022 12:11, UK

Can Darwin Nunez step up in the absence of Diogo Jota and Luis Diaz?
"How would I know how to defend against him?", the conversation went amongst a clutch of former Premier League players in the aftermath of Liverpool's 1-0 victory over Manchester City. "I don't think Darwin Nunez knows what he's going to do next, let alone anybody else."

While the words, coated with a 'it's funny cause it's true' hue, spoke to the Uruguayan's indecision in possession, it also flagged his largely effective unpredictability.

Nunez may not have entirely worked himself out yet - a by-product of trying too hard and overcomplicating simple tasks - but opponents also haven't been able to size him up or shut him down either. Joao Cancelo and Manuel Akanji would be the most recent exhibits.

It is an attacking sin to spurn such an opportunity; to not at the very least shift the marker away to create more space for a pass. Nunez also erred by not cutting back to Fabio Carvalho in another move, choosing and botching the harder-to execute option of finding Trent Alexander-Arnold.

But to focus solely on stanzas of play that still boggle the brain undersells Nunez's contribution in the match, and in general.

His eight touches against City produced three shots and a clear-cut chance. Nunez's recovery of possession and ball-carrying ability was Liverpool's most potent weapon in the closing stages of the showdown against the best team in the world, even if his decision-making did misfire.

The agent of chaos disrupted the standout defence in the division. Nunez's movement, directness and habit of getting into golden scoring positions are crucial tools.

He leads the league for shots, touches in the opposition box, and expected goals. The 23-year-old's underlying data is not just keeping company and edging Erling Haaland and Gabriel Jesus, but indicates that if he can add composure, he will generate a contribution as significant as his initial £64m price tag for Liverpool.

With Luis Diaz and Jota facing lengthy spells on the sidelines, that touch of calm needs to be timely. In truth, his upturn can only be aligned with Liverpool navigating their identity and returning to the top end of the table.

Nunez's 516 minutes across all competitions has been marked with four goals and an assist, which has come in a team trying to reinvent itself and that has struggled for consistency in approach, structure, and system.

Klopp's comment that "Nunez would have scored a couple more goals if he had played in the centre of Man City's attack this season" was an understanding the current iteration of Liverpool has not been the most stable side to acclimatise to.

The former Benfica man's language struggles, coupled with a red card on his Anfield debut, has slightly speared his confidence which explains the dented credence in what Klopp calls 'the decisive 10 per cent.' Nunez has owned this fact himself, circling he needs to "calm my nerves during games."

At Liverpool's training centre the message to him has been clear: drown out the noise of what people say you failed to do or can't do and carry on doing what you're used to.

Nunez has been shown how his data compares to the rest of the league's chief finishers, and in a lengthy chat with Klopp and Pep Lijnders, was told the club have no concerns over his form, adjustment, and growth into a key figure in the XI.

Liverpool believe his return to prime self-assurance and end product is just around the corner. Nunez's numbers suggest he is certainly on the right route to being box office - and not just the main character for the fail compilations.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:44 pm

Agent of chaos!!  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:47 pm

Post last nights Carabao game v Man City .

How many chances does this fella need before he sticks one in the net  ?

He did some good work, his pace is outstanding and seems committed, works hard etc BUT when it comes to a final finish ?   :down:   For Fu*ks sake at least make the goalie make a save  :kungfu:

Some may say he's a young player still learning his game. He's 23 ! and on the cusp of what would be for many strikers the best chapter of their footballing lives.

I don't know lads but given the chances he's had, and not just in last nights game, surely we should expect better ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:59 pm

Strikes me as a streak player. With confidence he’ll go on to have a long scoring run but without will miss easy chances. He has had bad years before and recovered and we have him for a while. His fundamentals are very good (strength, work rate, speed) but he snatches at chances. Should have been more finished for the price we paid.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:48 pm

He has been disappointing in my book as I had expected better considering his profile and price tag. His goal to shot ratio is severely lacking which is a problem considering Salah, Diaz and Jota are equally as bad with 1 goal from every 5 or 6 shots. We really need better from Nunez to be bridging that gap and so far he isn't delivering.

Last season Salah scored 23 in the league, Mane 16 and Jota 15,  then the next is Bobby on 5.

This season its Salah with 6, Bobby with 7, Nunez on 5 and Diaz 3. Still half a season to go but can't see us even getting Salah over the 20 mark with the way things are currently. Jota out till mid Feb so by the time he gets up to speed the season is almost over and that's hoping there is no setbacks. Similar situation with Diaz.

He has got to start putting those chances away.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:51 pm

I love every thing about him. I've never wanted a player to succeed as much as I do with Darwin. He's like a kid, full of energy, dynamite speed, chaotic!! I've just bought the green kit with his name on the back.

He's definitely a confidence player though, and he's severely lacking that infront of goal and snatching at chances at the minute. I have full confidence he'll big a big hit here.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:24 am

He needs to start shooting on target, I like him his overall play is really good, gives us something different. Just needs to sort out his accuracy in front of goal.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:31 pm

I think he will come good and become unplayable
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Sun May 07, 2023 12:37 pm

Klopp here highlighting that Nunez needs to learn English to help him adapt.

Eagle

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun May 07, 2023 10:59 pm

Still not convinced this experiment will work but I'd love to be wrong about him
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby leeroy74 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:50 am

I see nothing from him. He looked like Nunez of old, y'know, couldn't hit a barn door from 3 paces
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Tue May 09, 2023 10:19 am

If he sorts out his problems in front of goal he'd have a larger tally. I think his scored 15 goals in all competitions for us this season. His definitely not a Jota, Diaz type player, what I'm concerned going forward is if Klopp will play him as main front 3 or keep him on rotation. I'm hoping it works out with Darwin but I'm unsure.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Tue May 09, 2023 10:25 am

The bottom line is that if he doesn't learn how to press effectively he's not going to get into the starting 11. He tries hard but he's a bit of a headless chicken. A dog chasing a ball. We've been far better since Gakpo went up top as he presses more intelligently and also takes care of the ball better. A lot for Nunez to work on in pre-season.
Eagle

Postby redshade » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:48 pm

This season Nunez going to excel imo, settled after one season and looks good pre-season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:43 pm

redshade » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:48 pm wrote:This season Nunez going to excel imo, settled after one season and looks good pre-season.

I’m hoping so also, I think this year he will be calmer and more confident having had last year to learn. He has the tools, just needs the composure
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion