Darwin Núñez  Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:44 pm

I like his attitude and this is the reward. He kept fighting, he kept chasing and he never really sulked when he was missing good chances. If he could just work on that composure and stay more alert to getting caught offside.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:32 pm

kazza » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:44 pm wrote:I like his attitude and this is the reward. He kept fighting, he kept chasing and he never really sulked when he was missing good chances. If he could just work on that composure and stay more alert to getting caught offside.

Yeah that's true. But the fans never stopped beliving in him and supporting him as well. We noticed very early on that he's a confidence player and that he needs big support and we gave it to him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:49 am

damjan193 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:32 pm wrote:
kazza » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:44 pm wrote:I like his attitude and this is the reward. He kept fighting, he kept chasing and he never really sulked when he was missing good chances. If he could just work on that composure and stay more alert to getting caught offside.

Yeah that's true. But the fans never stopped beliving in him and supporting him as well. We noticed very early on that he's a confidence player and that he needs big support and we gave it to him.

I think that is true, also it’s easier for the supporters when they see him giving everything
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:08 am

what the actual fk is going on with this guy? hits the post, misses the target, scores a few, back to missing again in crucial games too! lets face it he's a flop
Time to move him on
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:48 pm

It hasn't worked out. Sad, he works hard, but he isn't what we need up top. And his misfortune is costing us points.

A new manager might be able to improve him, but my guess is he'll be moved on in the summer (as there were rumours Klopp tried to get shot of him last summer).
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:25 pm

"Jurgen Klopp's side have attempted 629 shots in the top flight this season, at least 70 more than any other club. Their average of 20.3 shots per game this term is the third highest by any team in a Premier League season since 1997-98."

"Darwin Nunez has had a league-high 100 shots this term. He's the first Liverpool player other than Mohamed Salah to reach triple figures in a single campaign since Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino both did so in 2016-17."

Had we someone prolific uptop we would've done some damage this season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:37 pm

Mane would have easily got 25+ league goals this season.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:40 pm

I'd sell him in the summer, new manager needs proper talent uptop not a clueless donkey.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:15 pm

Whilst Nunez is a prolific shooter, he is not a prolific scorer. He's been with us since summer 2022, 2 full seasons.
If he was going to become that lethal poacher it would have happened by now.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm

From the rumors I've read, Diaz is the closest to leaving, apparently PSG and Barca want him and we're willing to sell for some 75m Euros. IMO we'll also sell Salah so I can't see us selling 3 forwards in one window. We payed a lot for Nunez too and even if we considerably lowered what we payed it will still be a lot and I doubt there are many willing to pay that much for him. He's probably staying put for now. Maybe the new manager can bring out more of him, who knows.

Speaking of which, if Amorim is coming, I wouldn't mind if he brought that Sweedish forward from Sporting with him. Looks like a proper striker.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:55 pm

Nunez has some great natural assets that will make him a pain to be up against and for that reason he is a valuable part of the squad. The problem is he has technical deficiencies which are always going to hold him back when it comes to becoming a reliable performer and I don't just mean just in front of goal. Michael Owen mentioned them a while back and it was hard to disagree with him.

Some of his decision making and technical ability outside of just goal scoring are questionable. Issue is he is going to be 25 this summer and I'm just not too sure how much more improvement there is likely to be. It's a difficult one as the guy always tries and gives his all but carrying a striker who one minute can finish really well (games v Newcastle and Brentford for example where the finishing was superb) but at the same time misses a host of chances.....if you are aiming for titles you need consistency. Thing is he is the type of player who if you are down or drawing a game, you can easily throw him on and he can win you the game with the way he plays as he is always going to be a nuisance.
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:11 pm

Another issue is, we had one of the best attacks in the league if not the best ever in a prime Salah, Mane and Firmino. As a unit, they worked so well together, were lethal in front of goal and importantly consistent. They set the bar so high that it unless we got it spot on in terms of replacements, it was always going to be a difficult act to follow up on. Jota is definitely up to it in terms of ability and consistency but just seems injuries are creeping in. Salah is obviously getting in on age now. Diaz is a quality player imo but he isn't Mane levels (don't think there are too many out there who are to be fair) Similarly Nunez and Gakpo can definitely have great games but over a season just feels there is too much fluctuation in their performances.
Doeboy

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:52 am

The problem is Liverpool compete with a 15 man squad when we need 30. Nunez is 'ok', Gakpo is 'ok' but ok isn't good enough when everyone has to punch twice their weight.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:29 pm

I agree. It's tough when all big signings MUST be a hit for us. 90 million was insane and it hurt us bad when he didn't turn out to be a top class player....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:56 pm

If Darwin Nunez had shot John Lennon, he’d be turning 83 this week.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion