man utd v LIVERPOOL Sun 7th Apr 3.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:18 pm

Reg » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:38 pm wrote:Absolutely gutted. Jeez how I miss Bobby and Mane. Hate to say it, good team though this is, it’s light years behind the winning side of 2019-21.  We're simply not good enough - this season - to win the league. Serious doubts Nunez will ever be the lethal striker we crave and Dias... well he's good on his day but... Once Mo moves on we'll have a major problem.

If Bobby and Mane were here we'd have smashed them today.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:37 am

redshade » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:18 pm wrote:
Reg » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:38 pm wrote:Absolutely gutted. Jeez how I miss Bobby and Mane. Hate to say it, good team though this is, it’s light years behind the winning side of 2019-21.  We're simply not good enough - this season - to win the league. Serious doubts Nunez will ever be the lethal striker we crave and Dias... well he's good on his day but... Once Mo moves on we'll have a major problem.

If Bobby and Mane were here we'd have smashed them today.

Was thinking the exact same thing as we went 2-1 down in the second half.

I fully expect Diaz and Mo to move on in the summer. Which will leave us with an injury prone Jota and Nunez.

Sad times.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:21 am

United (9)2-2(28) Liverpool

United (28)4-3 (25)Liverpool

Liverpool (34) 0-0 (6) United

So this season against Mannure.

Liverpool Shots- 87
Goals - 5

Mannure Shots - 43
Goal - 6

X2 Draw x1 Loss

----------------------------------

In League

Liverpool Shots (62) Goals (2)
United Shots (15) Goals (2)

Pathetic to say the least.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:41 am

Bottom line so far is we only lost one match legitimately and we should have had at least 6 point from acknowledged officiating mistakes. Very frustrating but they played for that. ManUre parking a billion pound bus in front of goal at Old Trafford, twice! Stopping us winning the title is all they have to play for. We didn’t lose 2 points because of Quansah’s error, it was poor finishing because our counterattacking strikers had to play through 11 men. They should have done better but we struggle with defensive teams, especially those that are playing for their season.

We move on and think about the next game and hope there are more twists and turns. Arsenal play Munich and City play Real Madrid, that could have an effect on one if not both their seasons. Theoretically we shouldn’t drop any more points, but I would have said that before yesterday. As for Salah, Ramadan does have an effect, especially towards the end where 25 or so of fasting days have past, you would feel weaker at that point. Still, he has not been the same player this year, he’s intensity has dropped.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:36 am

I've said it few times already mate, hoping Arsenal and City have tough ties in UCL, scraping it and progress, then face each other in semis. That will definitely take a huge toll on them especially Arsenal.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:54 am

kazza » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:41 am wrote:Bottom line so far is we only lost one match legitimately and we should have had at least 6 point from acknowledged officiating mistakes. Very frustrating but they played for that. ManUre parking a billion pound bus in front of goal at Old Trafford, twice! Stopping us winning the title is all they have to play for. We didn’t lose 2 points because of Quansah’s error, it was poor finishing because our counterattacking strikers had to play through 11 men. They should have done better but we struggle with defensive teams, especially those that are playing for their season.

We move on and think about the next game and hope there are more twists and turns. Arsenal play Munich and City play Real Madrid, that could have an effect on one if not both their seasons. Theoretically we shouldn’t drop any more points, but I would have said that before yesterday. As for Salah, Ramadan does have an effect, especially towards the end where 25 or so of fasting days have past, you would feel weaker at that point. Still, he has not been the same player this year, he’s intensity has dropped.

Combination of things, we should have put the game to bed well before Quansah's error but at the end of the day his gift seriously rattled the team and gave utd belief. No matter how bad our finishing was I don't think they had it in them to get back at us without that gift.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:21 am

Completely agree Boo, 15 shots at goal in the first half and only one goal? We threw it away through our inability to score goals. Quansah's a young lad, an Alan Hansen in the making, it's not his fault, mistakes happen.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:10 am

Quansah’s mistake was definitely a turning point though, for all our profligacy in front of goal we were completely dominating the game, we were playing them off the park.
Pretty much within the space of a heartbeat we went from controlling the game and the title race to fighting tooth and nail just to stay in both.
We are not out of it but we are no longer masters of our own destiny,
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:18 am

Boocity » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:54 am wrote:
kazza » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:41 am wrote:Bottom line so far is we only lost one match legitimately and we should have had at least 6 point from acknowledged officiating mistakes. Very frustrating but they played for that. ManUre parking a billion pound bus in front of goal at Old Trafford, twice! Stopping us winning the title is all they have to play for. We didn’t lose 2 points because of Quansah’s error, it was poor finishing because our counterattacking strikers had to play through 11 men. They should have done better but we struggle with defensive teams, especially those that are playing for their season.

Combination of things, we should have put the game to bed well before Quansah's error but at the end of the day his gift seriously rattled the team and gave utd belief. No matter how bad our finishing was I don't think they had it in them to get back at us without that gift.

I don’t subscribe to them parking the bus as the key reason why we made such a complete and utter mess of what should have been a straightforward win. I agree that both Salah (has been since coming back from injury) and Szlob were awful. Our finishing was worse than desperate. I don’t blame Quansah for this result. Personally, I don’t think Szlob, Bradley or Quansah should have started. We desperately miss Trent and Jota. Bradley has done really well but he is no Trent. Quansah has also  done well but with very limited experience at the very top level. So many missed opportunities and the team selection was the main reason we did not leave with 3 points. It is a very long time since I have seen a team as bad as United were in the first half and we failed miserably to take advantage.
Last edited by devaney on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:40 pm

We've also missed Ali.

Kelleher has done a really good job. But his distribution and all-round play is a level below Ali.

We've really missed him and would not have conceded as many goals with him between the sticks.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:29 pm

At the end of the day the chances where there to beat them easily and it  was the same in the game at Anfield. You have to look at the front lads mostly as they aren't doing enough. That's where the blame lies for me.

Salah tops the shot count every year in that league and has taken the golden Boot a few times but his shot count could be 100 and scored 22 while someone like Kane will have 50 and 21 goals to show for it.
Diaz has other strengths but finishing isn't one of them and likewise could finish 1 in 10.
Nunez is poor. That miss yesterday sums him up.
Jota is the best we have but again we think what a massive loss he is but FF to next season and it ain't going to be any better.
Gakpo has been poor as well and looks like he's out of his depth in this league.

The defence has been alright this year and especially considering the constant changes. Most have stepped up when called upon. Konate is a problem though. No good to us if he can't even manage 2 games in a row which has been the case since he signed.
The midfield has done pretty good as well considering it's an entirely new one. Performed above expectation imo.

Whoever comes in needs to sort out a few. Make a decision on Konate and the entire front line because some need to go because some aren't good enough and some have just ridiculous injury records.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:18 am

We can complain about our players but they are the same players that have got us where we are and to be fair, we are in a transitional period and they are exceeding expectations. We played the scum twice when all said they would get beaten easily, they played both times so that wouldn’t get beaten, we are a counter attacking side that doesn’t like that. It’s not excuses, it’s an explanation why we didn’t win. We need to find a way to win these games other than relying on individual brilliance. Taking four points from us and knocking us out of the FA cup is the only thing they had to play for, we had bigger fish to fry.

I still think we will win the title.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:18 am

kazza wrote:We can complain about our players but they are the same players that have got us where we are and to be fair, we are in a transitional period and they are exceeding expectations. We played the scum twice when all said they would get beaten easily, they played both times so that wouldn’t get beaten, we are a counter attacking side that doesn’t like that. It’s not excuses, it’s an explanation why we didn’t win. We need to find a way to win these games other than relying on individual brilliance. Taking four points from us and knocking us out of the FA cup is the only thing they had to play for, we had bigger fish to fry.

I still think we will win the title.

Overall the contribution from the squad this season has been really good and tbh I never expected us to do what we have done in being right up there all season. Credit to the entire squad for that. It hasn't been easy though with a lot of games where we just scraped through with some frustrating performances. We dominated both games against Manure this season and it's easy to see why we dropped points in both. Our finishing killed us and imo we rely far too much on team effort. The constant passing sideways and backwards hoping the perfect opportunity will pop up by either a killer pass/forced mistake or penalty. Sometimes it takes a lad to just grab it by the scruff and stick it in the net. If we had a haaland or kane in our ranks he would bag 50 a year with the amount of opportunities we would create for them.

Don't mean to come across as knocking the tactics as I'm not. They have been successful in keeping us competitive for years consistently. We have been here before though only to fall short. Sometimes we lack urgency and stick to the system especially in the final minutes. A bit of individual brilliance now and again is the difference in killing off games like that.

There's always a but with me though  :laugh:

Anyway the lottery has opened for the Europa League final if anyone wants to throw their hat in.

https://support.tickets-uelfinal.uefa.com/hc/en-us

Go down to tickets, how do I apply then you will see the portal link. Ticket costs are 30, 100 & 150.  You can pick what ever price you want and apply for 4 tickets with the option of selecting other category if available.

Best of luck!!
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:39 am

Thanks Red, have applied.

I think what folks are really trying to say is that the squad is indeed a transition squad and have done fantastically well fired up by our enigmatic manager. However, it's still not good enough to compete at the highest level and win the league or champions league. We need more time and we need to bring in a couple more players. But for the group of lads we have, they're doing great. Shame Klopp won't be around to see the final result.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games