LIVERPOOL v watford Sat 2nd Apr 12.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:19 am

electrum » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:42 pm wrote:OK performance- second gear as others have said. 3 points was all that mattered.

The next game decides the title for me - we have to win at the Etihad, a draw there is as probably as good as a defeat at this stage as I don't see city losing to anybody else.

They have been down this road before an pipped us by 1 point by not losing x number of games in the run in.

COME ON YOU RED MEN!

That year they went out in the QF of UCL and for FA cup only had Brighton and Watford to deal with at end stage. Their last 5 games they only had EPL to 100% focus on.

On the other hand, we've also be there before went head to head with them in the league and to the final of UCL. Only addition for us this season is the FA semi final.

Last season pep had the title wrapped up early and just focused on UCL.

"Challenging" for EPL title and UCL is new territory for them. So it will be interesting to see how they do if they progress in UCL.

I think if the go further in UCL especially with a potential SF vs Chelsea, things could turn out different for them.

However I would agree that the game against them on Sunday is huge and imo if we win I think we will mentally break them.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:09 am

April is going to be a masterclass of squad rotation. Keita was supposedly injured yesterday... Dias and Trent on the bench, Sadio being let out for a jog. I reckon we have the squad to carry us through.....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:26 pm

I'd take a draw next week, we have only won 1 of our last 8 or 9 games against them and we've kopped for a fair few hidings in that time as well, in 2 of the last 4 encounters they"ve put 4 past us and it was a minor miracle we weren't 5 or 6 down by HT in the 2-2 at Anfield earlier on in the season as well.
In all my years watching Liverpool I've never seen us so completely and utterly dominated on our own patch as we were in the first half of that game. Foden in particular tore us a new one down the right hand side.
Up until 2018 we had a great record against them but that was back when we used to press them like f**k and swarm all over them, I don't think this team is capable of that anymore.
I'd honestly take the draw, if we lose the title race is over, a draw and we'd still be in the race, yes it would be advantage them but anything could happen in the last 7 games, a dodgy decision or a sending off or anything, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they draw one of their last 7, especially with us breathing down their necks.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:58 am

Imagine last day of season SG finally wins the title for us.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:03 am

Yakka - Rather than looking at some of the depressing facts from the last few years I’d prefer to look at where we are now. The players we will have available will possibly represent the strongest squad that Liverpool have had to face City in more than a decade. This match will be down to who handles the pressure and mentality will play a large part. Mentally and defensively we are in a great place and it will take a massive City performance to break this down. The current Liverpool are Klopp’s mentality monsters. Only an idiot would suggest that City aren’t a decent team however I personally believe that they are not the best City team that we have seen over recent years and mentally I do not believe they are as strong. City have seen a 14 point lead disappear and that has largely been down to the pressure Liverpool have created. Nobody could convince me that they aren’t hurting !! I’m not interested in the past with the team we have available we are more than capable of beating webuyanytrophies.com !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:13 am

We don't have to win next week but we absolutely can't afford to lose. Lose and it's more or less City's title. We need to play to win like we always do but we need to keep our heads and not go chasing the game irresponsibly.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:05 pm

devaney » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:03 am wrote:Yakka - Rather than looking at some of the depressing facts from the last few years I’d prefer to look at where we are now. The players we will have available will possibly represent the strongest squad that Liverpool have had to face City in more than a decade. This match will be down to who handles the pressure and mentality will play a large part. Mentally and defensively we are in a great place and it will take a massive City performance to break this down. The current Liverpool are Klopp’s mentality monsters. Only an idiot would suggest that City aren’t a decent team however I personally believe that they are not the best City team that we have seen over recent years and mentally I do not believe they are as strong. City have seen a 14 point lead disappear and that has largely been down to the pressure Liverpool have created. Nobody could convince me that they aren’t hurting !! I’m not interested in the past with the team we have available we are more than capable of beating webuyanytrophies.com !!

No use putting our heads in the sand mate, yes we have a good recent defensive record but because we play with such a high line teams are creating clear cut chances against us, Watford missed a couple themselves on Saturday. Atm Alison is bailing us out but we can't be blasé about it.
All I am saying is given the game is at City, given our poor recent record against them and given we haven't exactly been ripping up tree's performance wise lately (although results have been great) a draw would not be the worst result for us.
Of course it would be advantage City but anything could happen in the last 7 games particularly with us breathing down their neck.
If we lose its game over, the title race is done and dusted, if we draw however we still have a title race, that's all I am saying. Of course I hope we smash them but that hasn't happened since we stopped gegenpressing the eff out of them.
The Etihad is probably the toughest place to go in world football atm so our fans shouldn't be too down hearted if we come away from there with a draw. We'd still have a title race and we'd still be smack bang in the middle of it, as I say all things considered if offered one now I'd take it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:16 pm

A good win with three valuable points, despite a disappointed Salah's display, mind you his forms are always dipped badly in the second half of every season! the man of the match was Thiago.

The team needs to improve a great deal against M. City.

Good Luck Lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:52 pm

I kinda disagree that I'd take a draw against City. I think the fact that it was back in our hands, meaning if we'd win against them they'd go behind us after having a huge lead in points, this reason and this game was what caused them to feel the pressure. When the game is done and they're still above us, I think the pressure will be gone for them. I said it a week or so ago, if anything this game comes too soon. If we played them a bit later they might have crumbled under the pressure and this game wouldn't have been so important. As things stand though, I think whoever is top after the game will also win the title.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby electrum » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:17 pm

damjan193 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:52 pm wrote:I kinda disagree that I'd take a draw against City. I think the fact that it was back in our hands, meaning if we'd win against them they'd go behind us after having a huge lead in points, this reason and this game was what caused them to feel the pressure. When the game is done and they're still above us, I think the pressure will be gone for them. I said it a week or so ago, if anything this game comes too soon. If we played them a bit later they might have crumbled under the pressure and this game wouldn't have been so important. As things stand though, I think whoever is top after the game will also win the title.

I think is right- if we don't win the pressure shifts to us.. we have a tougher run in and the possibility of being pipped by 1 point even if we win all our games after this one (if its a draw) would probably get to the lads.
A win is vital IMO - win it and they implode.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:21 pm

Winning at City is easier said than done though
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games