Cavani - Should he be banned for racism?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:24 pm

The Cavani tweet is an interesting one contextually. I personally don’t understand enough about the language but the tweet seemed friendly and in no way racist however Troy Deeney holds a very different view and believes the tweet to be racist and warrants more than the minimum 3 match ban for an off the field racist offence. Cavani believes it to be normal language in his country and didn’t we hear Suarez say something very similar. Suarez has always maintained that he wasn’t racially abusing Evra and now United want us to believe that Cavani is totally innocent. I alway felt that Evra and Ferguson did everything in their power to make life as difficult as possible for Suarez and it was as much to do with the fact they were playing Liverpool and nobody hates Liverpool more than Ferguson.Isn’t Karma amazing.  What do you guys think ??
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:32 pm

I met a professional Argentinian football player once and Maradona was his hero, he even copied his hair style. He liked to go by his nickname which was Negro, In South America anyone with black curly hair was called Negro so it actually makes sense. Come to think of it I cant remember ever  seeing a black Argentinian, so maybe that says something also.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:18 pm

Increasing numbers of the LBGT (sorry I’m not sure of all the other letters) community now refer to themselves as queers in a non pejorative sense. It is not long ago that the word queer was regarded as highly insulting. Black people and probably more so the younger generation splash the word nig... around as if it is totally acceptable. Just listen to some of the black artists rap songs. The word for a very long time has been regarded as demeaning and insulting. What this suggests to me is that context is the vital ingredient. Can a word on its own be specifically described as racist? The word black in isolation is not racist but put the word ***** after it and the meaning becomes very different. Personally I don’t agree with Troy Deeney for that very reason. THE WORLD’S GONE NUTS !!

It was accepted  by the FA Commission that Suarez was not a racist. He simply used a word that is accepted in his country in a non pejorative sense probably in the same way as Cavani. I think it is probably everything else that Suarez said to Evra that really caused the problem and he ran off like a spoilt brat splashing around the racist card to anybody that would listen. And my god did Ferguson listen !! Nobody in the crowd, the referee or any of the players heard or understood what was being said because they were speaking in a foreign language and yet Evra persuaded the FA Commission single handedly that he was abused even though he openly admitted to also abusing Suarez. To this day I believe that Suarez was dealt with unfairly by the FA Commission who simple decided to use Suarez as an example which was partly due to his somewhat unsavoury history.

Surely Evra’s recent comments on Sky Sports about Wilf Zaha and David Moyes daughter tell you all you all you need to know. Sky had to apologise for his inaccurate comments given that Zaha has never even met Moyes daughter !! I’d be more interested in Sky asking this thoroughly detestable individual for his thoughts on the Cavani tweet.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... trice-evra
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Evra's just a c^nt. Suarez wasn't being racist it was a massive over reaction by the FA who wanted to show they stand against racism and Suarez was the scapegoat, Cavani's wasn't being racist in his tweet either. Let's be honest you will always have someone who wants to push things like this into the limelight and in my opinion it does their cause more harm than good, the taking the knee is another thing that should stop before the crowds start getting back into grounds. There is also the new directive regarding BAME coaching staff and a quota system that clubs are signing up to meet. To me, this is just reverse racism, jobs should go to the best applicant, a BAME coach shouldn't be appointed just because of their ethnicity and a white coach shouldn't be denied a post due to the colour of their skin.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:51 am

devaney » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:18 pm wrote:Increasing numbers of the LBGT (sorry I’m not sure of all the other letters) community now refer to themselves as queers in a non pejorative sense. It is not long ago that the word queer was regarded as highly insulting. Black people and probably more so the younger generation splash the word nig... around as if it is totally acceptable. Just listen to some of the black artists rap songs. The word for a very long time has been regarded as demeaning and insulting. What this suggests to me is that context is the vital ingredient. Can a word on its own be specifically described as racist? The word black in isolation is not racist but put the word ***** after it and the meaning becomes very different. Personally I don’t agree with Troy Deeney for that very reason. THE WORLD’S GONE NUTS !!

It was accepted  by the FA Commission that Suarez was not a racist. He simply used a word that is accepted in his country in a non pejorative sense probably in the same way as Cavani. I think it is probably everything else that Suarez said to Evra that really caused the problem and he ran off like a spoilt brat splashing around the racist card to anybody that would listen. And my god did Ferguson listen !! Nobody in the crowd, the referee or any of the players heard or understood what was being said because they were speaking in a foreign language and yet Evra persuaded the FA Commission single handedly that he was abused even though he openly admitted to also abusing Suarez. To this day I believe that Suarez was dealt with unfairly by the FA Commission who simple decided to use Suarez as an example which was partly due to his somewhat unsavoury history.

Surely Evra’s recent comments on Sky Sports about Wilf Zaha and David Moyes daughter tell you all you all you need to know. Sky had to apologise for his inaccurate comments given that Zaha has never even met Moyes daughter !! I’d be more interested in Sky asking this thoroughly detestable individual for his thoughts on the Cavani tweet.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... trice-evra

Good post

I went to college on the US, while I was there (‘95 I think) England played the US and the US won 2-0, Paul Ince was captain of England. The headline in the paper read “ USA beats England 2-0, Ince England’s first African-American captain”, you see, they were not allowed to use the word “black” because at that time “black” was regarded as offensive. The protocol for replacing the word black was African-American, even if he was neither African or American. It seemed strange to me that a newspaper was not allowed to use the word black even though the word “nigga” had become mainstream (depending on who said it)... world gone mad indeed.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:59 pm

So Cavani gets a 3 match ban and £100,000 fine for basically saying thanks mate to a friend on Twitter. If I was him I’d send the bill to Evra and Ferguson !!
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Return to Premiership - General Discussion