Racists fined & banned - Here here for swift justice

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:59 pm

Swift Justice indeed.. about bl**dy time this issue was given the practical treatment is deserves... well done to all connected with Blackburn Rovers FC and the system of justice up there..  :)  Read on ....

DWIGHT YORKE -
LONDON (Reuters) - "A football fan has been fined 1,000 pounds and banned from soccer matches for five years after pleading guilty to racially abusing Birmingham City striker Dwight Yorke at a game against Blackburn Rovers.

Police said Jason Perryman, 22, admitted in court on Wednesday to charges of racially aggravated offences against Yorke, the Trinidad and Tobago and former Manchester United striker.

The Football Association and the Premier League welcomed the ban in a joint statement, which said the "strongest possible action" should be taken against racist behaviour.

"Blackburn Rovers and the police are to be applauded for acting quickly and decisively in this case," the statement added.

A second man, David Ashcroft, 21, denied the same charges at Blackburn Magistrates Court and has been released on bail pending a pre-trial preview on December 22.

Birmingham City manager Steve Bruce said after Sunday's Premier League match at Ewood Park against Blackburn Rovers that Yorke had suffered monkey chants similar to those faced by England's black players during last week's 1-0 friendly defeat in Spain.

Yorke was subjected to the abuse as he was warming up near the touchline.

Perryman and Ashcroft voluntarily went to a police station on Tuesday after learning that an investigation had been launched into the incident."
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:21 pm

The lad has been made a scapegoat for the problem (that is endemic in football) in the light of the Spain game.

The FA had to be seen to act fast as the English Authorities are trying to use the scenes in Spain to poo poo Madrids bid for the Olympics.

To be honest, it would be nice to see the same swift justice used in more important areas of society.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:31 pm

... it does send an important message... Zero Tolerance perhaps... society's racist problems seem only to manifest themselves in football grounds.. why not rugby and other such contact sports... this is an important development... whatever has led to such swiftness.. it cud be an important milestone..

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:34 pm

But as I say it is only in the light of the Spain game and the efforts to improve Londons bid that it has been pushed thru.

This kind of swift and all encompassing justice should be used in societys more important issues, not racism, which to all intents and purposes in this instance was simply name calling and nothing else.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:49 pm

The kick racism out of football campaign has been in existance for many years.. the fight aganist racist abuse in English gronds has been taken up by all clubs.. we have a culture of seeking to rout it out, as well as creating powers thru the courts to enforce such bans.... this reaction is positive what ever its motivation...

...what u call only name calling.. provoked a reaction in Dwight Yorke ... and has lead to such action ..  black players themselves, perhaps will no longer be prepared to put-up with such abuse...

... it is upto all of us to isolate and rout out the racits abusers.. it's not just abuse of players,  but intimidating to black and asian suppoerters, who the game is seeking to encourgae to attend... Blackburn has a good Asian support base.. they have taken a stand ...

.. Football Clubs and the authorities can only deal with the ills that manifest themselves in the game... it is upto the rest of us to force society to be firmer and swifter elsewhere ...

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:45 am

I agree Zbabe, but I think this kind of justice would be better served to rapists and the like.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:13 pm

Agree Leon, this neanderthal bellend deserved to have the book thrown at him. Let's look at things in perspective:

Monkey gesture: £1000 & 5 year ban
Drink driving whilst disqualified in an unroadworthy car with no insurance or licence: £150 fine and 18 month driving ban
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:57 pm

so we should not complain about the racist chant at all, but complain about the other stuff
the 1000 and 5 years is right, u cant say one is less im portant than the other when both can be handled
and so what if he is a scapegoat, hes stilla nasty little bstard who deserves to have his face in all the papers for the people to know what he is like and what his views are
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:31 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I agree Zbabe, but I think this kind of justice would be better served to rapists and the like.

..  this punishment fits the crime in respect of football.. the greatest punishment for a footie fan is the ban.. he ain't goin to jail u know?

I agree that other forms of punishment in society are just not delivering Justice... but this is a result that befits this situation...

...there are other forums for seeking Justice .. I'm pleezed that this has happend... in respect of racism on football..

.. I support Dwight in the bold action and show of anger he dipslayed at the time.. and I hope that those who attend matches see it as there duty to rout out and isolate the racists who blite our game, think they are hard and intimidate fellow supporters of what ever race...
Last edited by zarababe on Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:42 pm

I knew as soon as I posted this it would offend or lead to vocal replies, however that is not the reason I did it.

I do honestly beleive that racism in this form is nothing more than name calling.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:45 pm

leon, but that doesnt make it right. if u think thats all it is, go outside and find a group of black people. when us ee them make monkey chants and do hitler salutes. its only name calling, they wont do anything right?
wrong.
only name calling, do u ever leave your house? do u know whats going on in the world at all?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:52 pm

i've just come back from a holoday in spain, infact i've been there several times. i'm black and have never ever suffered any kind of racial abuse over there. the fact of the matter is that racism is a social problem, not a football problem. over here we have taken great strides in eradicating the problem (dwight yorke incident aside), but in certain areas of europe, especially the eastern block, the problem still remains. that was why i was shocked that a major european state had resorted to this.

one thing's for sure. if this had been england fans racially abusing french black players, we'd have been kicked out of every tournament quicker than you could say "bob's your uncle". :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:53 pm

Dawson, I see your angle, and I know why you feel the need to be so vocal over it, so I respect your view.

However what is the difference between calling some one a "Black barsteward" or a "fat f@cker" ?

Is it more wrong to call some one a name about their skin colour than it is to do so over their weight problem?

Now if it was a matter of prejudice, or class, then I can understand, but to be fined for calling someone a name is ridiculous, and it would happen fifty times a day in my place of work or local boozer.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:59 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I knew as soon as I posted this it would offend or lead to vocal replies, however that is not the reason I did it.

I do honestly beleive that racism in this form is nothing more than name calling.

.. i think we are having a healthy exchange of words here Leone... debate...

.. i do think that name calling only of the racist variety ... is intimidating and outdated ... but it  has an impact not just on players but on other supporters too .. its intimidating

Take the Spain game.. what may have been started by a minority became a chorus around the stadium... by the end... may be an exmtreme example.. but a measure of how different things can materialise...

... Dwight's reaction is telling do u not think ..

..I think it says a lot about how advanced we are in our zero tolerance of racism in football.. more stark since the Spain game..
Last edited by zarababe on Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:05 pm

leon, u r right in a way, but its socially acceptable to call someone lanky, 4 yeyes, fat, whatever, but u cant mention skin colour. i dunno, its very complex and things are tense and racism is just wrong...
but like u say,. if we shout out ginger to$$er to scholes all te time is that worse?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion