DANNY WILSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sat May 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Defender Danny Wilson is expected to agree a move from Rangers to Liverpool in the next seven days.

The 18-year-old has just over a year left on his contract and had turned down the new deal on offer to him.

Liverpool had a previous bid turned down but have returned with an improved offer in the region of £2m plus add-ons that Rangers have deemed acceptable.

The Ibrox club stood to lose the player for around £500,000 in compensation had he not been sold this summer.

Wilson, who made his debut in October, was recently voted PFA Scotland young player of the year, having made over 20 appearances - two in the Champions League - and scored once this season.

Injury ended his campaign prematurely, but he will leave Ibrox with winners' medals from Rangers' Scottish Premier League and Co-operative Insurance Cup triumphs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8669988.stm

--------------

Don't really follow SPL too much so am not really familiar with this lad. Hope he is decent.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat May 08, 2010 4:07 pm

bavlondon wrote:Defender Danny Wilson is expected to agree a move from Rangers to Liverpool in the next seven days.

The 18-year-old has just over a year left on his contract and had turned down the new deal on offer to him.

Liverpool had a previous bid turned down but have returned with an improved offer in the region of £2m plus add-ons that Rangers have deemed acceptable.

The Ibrox club stood to lose the player for around £500,000 in compensation had he not been sold this summer.

Wilson, who made his debut in October, was recently voted PFA Scotland young player of the year, having made over 20 appearances - two in the Champions League - and scored once this season.

Injury ended his campaign prematurely, but he will leave Ibrox with winners' medals from Rangers' Scottish Premier League and Co-operative Insurance Cup triumphs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8669988.stm

--------------

Don't really follow SPL too much so am not really familiar with this lad. Hope he is decent.

Excellent young defender ,Liverpool stealing a march on their rivals if this is true Bav
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ulrike licht » Sat May 08, 2010 4:09 pm

You want to show
- how important football is in your life
- how much knowledge of football you have? ???
Click on the link and, by answering the questionnaire, help a student with her bachelor thesis.
http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=KHINOK_b629342b
ulrike licht

Postby tubby » Sat May 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Relieved to hear that RBG mate. You reckon he can come straight into the first team as a fringe player or would be stay in the ressies for a year or 2?

We just got that other lad from Charlton too. Got to say im glad we are making more of an effort with young British lads.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat May 08, 2010 4:11 pm

ulrike licht wrote:You want to show
- how important football is in your life
- how much knowledge of football you have? ???
Click on the link and, by answering the questionnaire, help a student with her bachelor thesis.
http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=KHINOK_b629342b

Show yourself the door mate.

Then again your probably just a bot so can't even read this.  :D

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Lads, forgive me if i'm not excited by this signing.

F'uck the "One for the Future" malarkey, i've heard it all before.

Given the state we're in what I want is a signing for the HERE AND NOW :angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Sat May 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Agreed Woof but it's evident we are not going to spending along side the likes of City any time soon so maybe the next best option (although most painful in the short term) is go for the younger options and blood them in over time.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Better than John Terry, easily.
LFC2007

Postby NANNY RED » Sat May 08, 2010 6:18 pm

If he signs ill be made up, good defender  :nod who is wanted by a lot of other clubs including the mancs
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat May 08, 2010 6:34 pm

sounds promising but can he play straight away?

Read about this on a few forums as well, highly rated indeed
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Sat May 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Is a scottish lad deemed a foreigner by uefa these days?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat May 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Reg wrote:Is a scottish lad deemed a foreigner by uefa these days?

Don't know about UEFA but it is by me anyway. Will never make it as he'll be too small/lightwieght/ginger :eyebrow.

On a serious note, yes he may be a player by all accounts but I do have some sympathy with those who kind of wish we might spend the money (if there is any) on players who'll improve the first team as of now.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun May 09, 2010 7:08 am

woof woof ! wrote:Lads, forgive me if i'm not excited by this signing.

F'uck the "One for the Future" malarkey, i've heard it all before.

Given the state we're in what I want is a signing for the HERE AND NOW :angry:

It's Houllier syndrome, we ended up lumbered with all his "ones for the future" and of them how many succeeded? (or are still here) Pongolle might have been worth keeping, but some of the others were just never good enough and never likely to be.

And as for "the now", well :

02/03 : 64 points (5th)
03/04 : 60 points (4th)

I'll get excited about this signing IF and WHEN he is a top CB, no point getting all worked up about him until he is some kind of influence at the club.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun May 16, 2010 5:05 pm

BBC Sport Reports :

Danny Wilson's transfer to Liverpool will be the springboard to a career as one of the top defenders in European football for a young man destined to become a great Scotland captain.

That is the prediction of Nacho Novo, who watched at close quarters as Wilson was fast-tracked from the Murray Park youth set-up to Champions League football and the frontline of an SPL title triumph within a matter of weeks this season.

Liverpool took notice of the 18-year-old's remarkable development and prodigious scope to launch a £3million raid on Rangers and the deal is expected to be completed within the next few days.

Fears have been voiced that Wilson could disappear from first-team football at Anfield, so soon after his breakthrough campaign in Scotland, and that he would be better served continuing his apprenticeship in the Ibrox spotlight.

But Novo has witnessed enough to believe his colleague possesses the quality to make an impact in England now before going on to enjoy a stellar playing career. 'I think he will become a top-class centre-half - he is capable of anything, really,'

Novo enthused. 'I think, wherever he goes, he will improve even more. If it's Liverpool, then obviously playing alongside top World Cup players in training like Fernando Torres, you learn even more and get on even better in the game.

'I can see him as a Scotland captain of the future. Why not? He will definitely be one of the best centre-halves in Europe. He is a great player, a great defender. But not only that, with the ball at his feet and bringing it out of defence, he's fantastic as well and can play with a terrific left foot.'

Wilson had only played 90 minutes of a Co-operative Insurance Cup tie at Dundee for Walter Smith's first team when he was plunged into Champions League action in Bucharest against Unirea Urziceni in November last year.

He helped seal Rangers a point from a difficult away contest that night and went on to deputise for the frequently injured Madjid Bougherra, with 24 appearances in all four competitions.

'I remember the match in the Champions League in Romania,' Novo recalled.

'It was only his second game and, for a young boy of that age, he was brilliant, just fantastic. He had been training with us anyway and he seemed a quiet boy.

'But when he got the chance, he looked as if he had been playing in the first team with us for six years.
Danny Wilson

Ready to step up: Danny Wilson in action for Rangers.

'He has shown already that he can play Champions League football, which is hard when you are so young, so why should he not be able to go to Liverpool and make an impact? It seems he already has the experience, as everyone can see.'

The 31-year-old striker, who is also set to say farewell to Rangers this summer, can vouch for the maturity of the centre-half after providing the opposition for him in training for the last 12 months.

'He's a strong lad to play against for someone who is 18 years of age,' Novo informed.

'He is the best young centre-half I have ever played with, definitely.

'I just love him as a football player. He was just a quiet wee boy when he started training with us but you could see he had a lot of quality. He has been progressing very well and very quickly.'

Wilson's wish to head for the English Premier League so soon should not be associated with arrogance, according to Novo. The teenager is an eloquent character who has only benefited from operating alongside role model Davie Weir since his first team opportunity came along.

'He is a lovely person as well, he has the right personality,' Novo explained.

'Danny is a quick learner. He is someone who has always loved to train, always wanted to play and is a great talent.

'The most important thing when you see young players come through is that they have their feet on the ground. Danny is like that, a good professional.

'He has learned a lot from working alongside Davie Weir. Davie has just turned 40 and hasn't missed a single game in the league this season. That, I think, is a big example for young boys who need to see how to play 90 minutes at the weekend, then cope with going into the Champions League where there is intensity.

'I think Davie has been good for Danny and he will take those lessons learned into the rest of his career.'

A sparkling assessment of possibly our  new defender ,reading the reviews about this kid it certainly seems he could go straight into the team next season and if so would take some shifting
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:05 am

Like Nacho Novo is the all-knowing guru on classy international players, eh ? Gimme a break...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion