Tony wilson is a muppet - But maybe he has a point

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:38 pm

On the official site, Tony Wilson, yes that biased idiot from Granada TV etc... reckons:

While Arsenal and Chelsea might be setting the pace in the Premiership, talk of a football powershift towards London is a joke insists one of Man United's most famous fans - Anthony H Wilson. Liverpool, he says, are still the top boys in England. 
Over recent weeks, many pundits have written off both Liverpool and Manchester United while talking up Arsenal, Chelsea and even Tottenham Hotspur.

But what neither of the aforementioned cockney clubs can boast are legacies as long-lasting as those created by a Shankly or a Busby. Oh, and one other small thing. The European Cup.

"That has to be the gauge by which these regional rivalries are measured,' says Wilson. "Even as a Mancunian I accept that Liverpool are beating us 4-2 in terms of European Cups, but if it is the North-West versus London then the score is 6-0. That's truly pathetic, London, because even Birmingham and the East Midlands have managed a couple.

"I admit Arsenal look fantastic in the league at the moment, whereas our season has been ravaged by injuries, but talk of London ascendancy is premature when they have not even had a team in a European Cup final. I might be prepared to listen to the idea when London has won as many European Cups as, say, Nottingham Forest."

"Manchester United is still the brand in this country, and if you cross the Channel or the Atlantic you find Liverpool is still the brand. Because European Cups are what count." 

What is your take on it, does a truly great team have to conquer Europe?

I remember when Blackburn won the league, they played some good stuff, but no real memory of their greatness, is that the way Arsenal will be remembered in years to come?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:10 pm

Arsenal (unlike blackburn) are not a flash in the pan. They have been there or there abouts in the top flight of english football for decades. I would say that Man  Utd aside,over the years Arsenal have been our greatest rivals for glory. On the European stage however Arsenal have never quite "done it" and although they have played some majestic footy in recent seasons history will not accord them the same truly great status as that given to Liverpool, Milan,Madrid,Munich and Manchester unless they land the big title which is of course "European Champions"  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:14 pm

I read that article as well, Leon.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:00 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I read that article as well, Leon.

I read that on the Guardian website.  Tony Wilson is a ******.
jonnymac1979

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:09 am

too be truly great Arsenal really do have to win a European cup.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:57 am

if you watch 24 Hour Party People you will see what a t*t Wilson was with his life, but he did make a comment once that i agree with, he made the comment after Littmanen left Liverpool and it was along the lines of how we could let him go when he was obviously a world class player. also as he got older his hatred of everything scouse seems to be diminishing.

before i left liverpool to live in Malaysia i remember watching a football quiz series in which he was the host, it was actually quite entertaining, does anyone else remember it
112-1077774096

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:10 pm

LFC #1 wrote:too be truly great Arsenal really do have to win a European cup.

Im not sure about this that you have to win the european cup to be a truly great side...Would u call last seasons porto team a world class team??? Cups are one offs and sometimes u get shocks, Arsenals consistency over the last 2 seasons has been breathtakin, in my eyes they are all ready a great side and the european cup would top that off
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:23 pm

Forget European cups , undefeated for a season in the worlds most competative league makes them great.  :)
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:35 pm

As for muppets Animal was my favourite :p

who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:59 pm

Bruno Zidane! wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:too be truly great Arsenal really do have to win a European cup.

Im not sure about this that you have to win the european cup to be a truly great side...Would u call last seasons porto team a world class team??? Cups are one offs and sometimes u get shocks, Arsenals consistency over the last 2 seasons has been breathtakin, in my eyes they are all ready a great side and the european cup would top that off

To be a great side you must be great in the league and in the European competions. Arsenal are not as affective in the Champions League as they are in the Premiership. They can't balance it out.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:07 pm

to be considered a great team you have to win back to back(or more) European Cups.Neither Manchester or London gets on that list(though Nottingham does).
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:25 am

sorry but thats just rubbish
everyone considers ARSEnal a great team. And everyone considered Manchester United the same a while back.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:17 pm

Arsenal or Chelsea have never even reached a european cup final.Comparing them with truly great sides is a meaningless exercise at this point.Staying unbeaten in england is one thing,winning consistently in europe is the true test.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:59 pm

who the hell is diarra wrote:Forget European cups , undefeated for a season in the worlds most competative league makes them great.  :)

Arsenal are a great side with a small g . In 15 years time how many people especially those outside of the UK will remember this current Arsenal side unless they go on and dominate Europe the way we and sides I mentioned earler in this thread did ?
To be considered Great with a capital G you need to do more than just win your domestic league no matter how convincingly you did it.  :) .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby who the hell is diarra » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:11 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
who the hell is diarra wrote:Forget European cups , undefeated for a season in the worlds most competative league makes them great.  :)

Arsenal are a great side with a small g . In 15 years time how many people especially those outside of the UK will remember this current Arsenal side unless they go on and dominate Europe the way we and sides I mentioned earler in this thread did ?
To be considered Great with a capital G you need to do more than just win your domestic league no matter how convincingly you did it.  :) .

I still think they are a great side , ours was legendary :)

who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion