The Midfield situation and formation..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm

So Milner started in the number 10 role yesterday and what a great job he did. But with the failure to sign Fekir or an alternative, the season long injury to Ox, and Lallana being injury prone, that position is likely to be problem for us until at least January. On paper Lallana is the best option so I’m really hoping he can stay fit and rediscover some form. Keita will help but I think we will still drop a fair few points against more defensively minded side and that may cost us a serious title challenge.
Eagle

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:44 pm

I've got a feeling we'll use Shaqiri alot more in the no10 role once he's settled in properly.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:05 pm

We have players who can play in multiple positions which is good. Did you notice Keita go out and play in a more wide role when Captain Hendo came on!?

Shaqiri can do the same, play out wide, or in the no 9 Role, more central. You notice he has that intricate close passing ability that Coutinho had>?

For the first time in years we have good options throughout the team.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 pm

This Topic needs more discussion. ..
Our defence and Keeper situation look more solid and Assured.
So does out attack with Shaqiri and Sturridge as back up.

It's just the midfield With Diego "maradona" Milner
And Jordan "Hurricane" Henderson, Setting the world on fire.

We desperately need to see more of Keita and Fabinho as we are lacking in Quality and creativity.

I'm hoping the falling through of the Fekir signing will not come back to haunt us.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:55 am

Need to play Keita and Fabinho
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 am

None of the midfielders are able to link with the attack and draw out opposition defenders. In 16/17 we had Lallana and in 17/18 we had Ox. We didn't manage to get Fekir so for me we should use Keita to link with the attack.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:41 am

The loss of the Ox seriously affected us in the UK last season and it's been just the same this year. Milner, Gini and Hendo in the middle of the park are just not good enough as a unit. Klopp needs to give both Fab and Keita a run in the team instead of constant changes and reverting to last night's selection in tough games when all can see it's not working
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 am

Yeah agree, Chamberlain has been a huge loss, not only did he work his @rse off but he also had pace, could go past a man one on one and had a terrific shot too. The likes of Henderson, Milner and Gini are honest yeoman types, they've only got one gear.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Keita can do what Ox did for us last season. He has the ability to pick up the ball and make driving runs and also has a pass in him.

It's time to have him playing furthest forward in the midfield with 2 out of Milner, Fabiano, Hendon and Gini playing just behind him.
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Between the 2nd of December (which is this Sunday) and the 3rd of January we have got 9 games! That's 9 games in a  calendar month. What's more in those 9 games we have to play City, United, Arsenal, Napoli and of course Everton.
With a schedule like that I can see Jurgen rotating quite a bit so I reckon we'll get to see a fair few different midfield combo's over the next 4 weeks.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:28 pm wrote:Between the 2nd of December (which is this Sunday) and the 3rd of January we have got 9 games! That's 9 games in a  calendar month. What's more in those 9 games we have to play City, United, Arsenal, Napoli and of course Everton.
With a schedule like that I can see Jurgen rotating quite a bit so I reckon we'll get to see a fair few different midfield combo's over the next 4 weeks.

He needs to give Fab and Naby a run of games...thats the only way to really test them
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:43 pm

Those 9 games will define our season.
Also in Jan we will have the FA cup and depending on how far we go we will have plenty of games. So yup squad will be used a lot with rotation etc..
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:42 pm

Last year you got the feeling that no matter who we played, be it City, Barcelona or whoever, you got the sense that if they were unlucky enough to catch us on a good day then they could be blown away, not just beaten but actually blown away 4 or 5 nil.
You just don't get that same feeling this year. The strange thing is that it's pretty much the same group of players as well. Where has that cutting edge gone?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:42 pm wrote:Last year you got the feeling that no matter who we played, be it City, Barcelona or whoever, you got the sense that if they were unlucky enough to catch us on a good day then they could be blown away, not just beaten but actually blown away 4 or 5 nil.
You just don't get that same feeling this year. The strange thing is that it's pretty much the same group of players as well. Where has that cutting edge gone?

Think Klopp wants to win something this year and is playing a bit tighter than we did last season. So far it is paying off but at the expense of thrilling edge of the seat stuff we want to see and have become associated with. Its a tough one and its frustrating to watch at times.

We just have to believe in Klopp and maybe he feels that he needs a different approach this time in order to put up a proper challenge. So far its paying off in the league but not so much in Europe. My only criticism would be that it seems like we have no balance between the both. Certain games we should be gegen pressing the life out of the opposition and in others more tight. We don't seem to have the ability to switch it during games either although last night I thought we did try to get higher during the second half but it was like we forgot what to do when we did.

As you said we are entering a busy period with a few tough fixtures in there so all I can hope that this is Klopps plan until we get into January and then he breaks out the whip and we ramp it up so we finish out the season with that cutting edge.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:37 am

Interesting interview from Klopp

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -to-evolve

Must read..
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion