Midfield situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:08 am

I am wondering if we will buy a midfielder because in our first game against Bayer Leverkusen we will be without Alonso and Gerrard meaning that we will have only Hamann and Biscan. We can always use our youngsters but it could be a risk as this is way too important of a game. So with that being said do you all think that we will buy another midfielder or not?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:41 am

Who can we bring in?, all of the best midfielders in Europe are already cuptied.
having said that the injury crisis shows we need more strength in depth.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:49 am

Malbranque would be an ideal squad player. He can play at both flanks and in an attacking midfield position. He is hard working and accustomed to the premiership. However I fear his price tag is just too much to handle. A swap deal sending Biscan, Le Tallec, Vignal + cash could work?
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:51 am

Malb would be a good signing. We need quality squad players, not rubbish like some of those we have at the moment.
Last edited by crazyhorse on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:26 am

5 million plus Biscan for Melbranque perhaps? And Valencia are unlikely to let Aimar go.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby whylongball? » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:43 am

would love to see malbranque in liv jersey....and i said that since last season!!excellent technique and vision, can play everywhere across the midfield
whylongball?

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:09 pm

There's no question the midfield is a crisis area for us at the moment. In the Leverkusen game, I suppose we are staring down the gun-barrel at Didi & Igor. The Germans will be quaking in their boots at that prospect. What if one of 'em gets injured between now and then? I know Carra has played central-mid but despite his improvement, he is hardly Mr creative. No I guess it'll be one of the young lads, and that eventuality hardly makes the mouth water either.
It's so frustrating because we are on the cusp of something in the CL. A couple of good performances and we could do something very special indeed. The answer? Find somebody who's cheap, not CL-tied and a really good player. Easy isn't it? It really could be worth buying somebody at around 2 million just for this game. Your task, should you wish to accept it is to find him. Kieron Dyer anyone? (Mick ducks down behind a bunker as the sirens start).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:13 pm

Banana, you are joking right, 3 players plus cash for Malbranque? The lad is worth £2m tops. Also, do we really want to buy any more "squad players" ??

crazy horse, AB, why long ball are we talking about the same Steed Malbranque from Fulham?

Big Mick, you amaze me a times, you talk such sense, then advocate Dyer and Earnshaw ?  :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:14 pm

I don't think it's any coincidence that we're now missing Alonso more than we did Gerrard when he was injured. Certainly Gerrard plays better when he's with Alonso - and I'm not decrying his dedication to the club, but when you compare the results following each injury, I'm wondering if Alonso is harder to replace. In Alonso, we've finally all realized what we had been missing for so long, his passes are just wonderful, and to have him out, and consequently play like we did for most of last season in the past few games, has really put it into perspective about how much of an integral part that Alonso is. I love Stevie, but the way Alonso plays makes him pivotal to any team. For a midfielder that doesnt really score, you know he has to be special to be bought for 10mil.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:19 pm

Ok Ok maybe not Dyer. But who? I'm not forgetting someone am I, we are down to Igor and Didi if Stevie G doesn't play tomorrow? Barry Ferguson perhaps ( though don't rate him myself). There must be someone somewhere who can fill the gap, a couple of injuries and the whole season could be over. I've said before I like Damien Francis at Norwich but now is not the time for speculative punts, we need someone we can depend on straight away.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:21 pm

time to bring up ALT.... Whatever the problem between rafa and him, hope it gets sorted out soon. He's young. Everyone makes mistakes when they are young.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:21 pm

stmichael wrote:For a midfielder that doesnt really score, you know he has to be special to be bought for 10mil.

'Pends who's doing the buying St Mick. We paid 11 million and 10.5 million respectively for strikers who 'don't really score'.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard's Y-Fronts » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:24 pm

£2,000,000 for Malbranque? ????

You must be referring to his slippery deformed half brother surely!

You would be lucky to get Steed Malbranques right leg for that kind of dough!

Deffo one of the best right sided midfield players about and if he was available for anything lower than £5,000,000 it would be daylight robbery.

Either you are talking about a totally different player of you haven't seen him play!
Gerrard's Y-Fronts

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:25 pm

why would we sign a new midfielder to play in one CL game? what would we do with him when everyone has recovered from injury?
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:26 pm

bigmick wrote:
stmichael wrote:For a midfielder that doesnt really score, you know he has to be special to be bought for 10mil.

'Pends who's doing the buying St Mick. We paid 11 million and 10.5 million respectively for strikers who 'don't really score'.

please bigmick, don't remind me :down:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion