The midfield situation... - ...your thoughts

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:30 am

bigmick wrote:I've just watched the game and in terms of the midfield, for me there were still more questions than answers. The Masherano/Lucas axis was once again poor in terms of contribution to our flow and rhythm, and I thought the Brazillian in particular was bitterly disappointing. That his main contribution to the game was waving an imaginary card at the referee to get Davis sent off says it all really, and it was no surprise that on the hour mark the decision was taken to switch him and Gerrard.

Wider, I thought Riera made a huge difference on the left, and aside from the obvious questions about why he didn't play in the previous three matches (aside from a cameo as sub), it was great to see him back.

Kuyt continues to worry me, even more than normal. It was a good chest down for Torres's goal, but other than that I thought he was very poor other than the inevitable running around a lot. I'm fairly sure he had a significant role in both goals we conceded, and the excellent save which Reina made in the first half from Matt Taylors free kick summed up the problems perfectly. We clear a set piece (for once) and it gets thrown back in. Kuyt has an easy clearance under no challenge, but completely miscues it straight up int he air. Lucas gets the wrong side and hauls Taylor to the ground three yards outside the box. OK Reina saved it, but such ridiculousness will cost us points and wins.

The difference once Gerrard was moved back was absolutely glaring, and surely was enough evidence already that this is the way we should play.

I agree... except for Kuyt... I thought Kuyt did well... especially when we were attacking...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:10 am

It's all opinions mate at the end of the day, but if you compare what Kuyt is contributing from an offensive sense even with the fullback who is supposedly playing behind him, the comparison doesn't reflect well on him. He's well and truly back into headless chicken mode this season so far for me, and at times his ability to choose the wrong option when there are only two available is quite astounding. Like I say the assist for Torres was the high point, but there were many lows to cancel it out.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:27 am

For me Lucas and Masherano are an awful midfield pairing. I'm not going to go on too much about Lucas because he's had a lot of stick but in essence : not quick, not a great tackler, not a great passer. Paired with Mascherano, who for me is also not a great passer, then you have a midfield bereft of incisive passing. Your centre midfielders need to work off each other and these two don't, it is as simple as that! I said before the season started I would play Gerrard back in midfield and I still would with Benni/Babbel/Kuyt playing in off Torres. I also think it's a shame Aurelio is injured because he could also slot in midfield and there is Spearing who is a confident young lad. The unfortunate thing is Rafa sees something in Lucas which will see him starting more games until Aquilani is ready and that will remain a mystery!
loopyliverpool

Postby Alanay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:35 am

I really hope there is a re-infrorcement in the midfield. Lucas & Masch pair will not work. Both cannot hold the ball and provide accurate long pass or distribute the ball very well. Most of the time, they are good at the back pass which sometimes quite worrying. I hope Gerrard moves back to the CM and play supporting role for the attack. And we have a 2 strikers at the front. I thought Riera makes a different on the left but on the right somehow, is not really effective yet. Would Kuyt's headless chicken mode be a good up fron with Torres? And play Johnson as the right wing, but need to fill up the right back post. Move Lucas to the bench for the time being. He's still not up to the expectation.
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:55 am

(Why) do we need two DMs? It worked with Alonso because he can pass, we don't need two now and it is counter-productive which is why Mascherano was taken off (to put more attacking emphasis) If Rafa is going to wait until the 63rd minuted every game, even when we are losing, perhaps he should consider how many he starts with against teams we should be beating. Stick with Mascherano by all means, but either push Lucas further up to link play or do away with him altogether.

I suggested before the season started that having Johnson attacking down the flank might upset the balance re Kuyt and his productivity. He still set up Torres with a clever chest down, despite all the excitement about Johnson we've still only won half our games and lost the other half
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Owzat wrote:I suggested before the season started that having Johnson attacking down the flank might upset the balance re Kuyt and his productivity. He still set up Torres with a clever chest down, despite all the excitement about Johnson we've still only won half our games and lost the other half

And if Johnson hadn't been doing what he's been doing (scoring two, setting up another...providing so much of our attacking impetus) we might have been in even deeper trouble.  But, it seems you've got him penciled in as your Peter Crouch Mark II, though, so I guess we can count on these little jabs all season.  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Nando26 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:09 pm

The_Rock wrote:Drop Gerrard back into midfield....

Reina
     Dickman    Carra   Skertel   Insua
                    Mascherano
     Babel                             Riera
               Benayoun  Gerrard
                          Torres

Think mascherano will be good enough to anchor the midfield on his own....and Benayoun and Gerrard taking turns to drop into midfield (and thus confusing the opposition).....

If benitez for some reason only known to him (you know ... like those reasons of monumental proportions like picking crouch as a left winger) wants to pick lucas...then just replace him with mascherano.

Youd but Babel ahead of Kuyt? You really are clueless
Nando26

Postby Nando26 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Owzat wrote:I think we're also not getting enough bodies in the box, neither Lucas nor Mascherano is going to which is why I favour 4-1-3-2. With Alonso in the side we could play 4-2-3-1 quite comfortably as he is comfortable on the ball. Criticism of Lucas for trying to get rid of the ball makes me laugh as he'd get lambasted if he slowed play down or was caught in possession so either way he's going to get it in the neck. Dropping Gerrard back may reduce his effectiveness, do we really need two men sitting in midfield? Waste of Gerrard's talents, he's not really a great passer of the ball so we'd see 'Hollywood passes' squandering possession, him going in for even more tackles and I'd rather he was relieved of that responsibilty and the cost would be his goalscoring I have little doubt. We won't find out until perhaps too late whether Aquilani will be a hit and how best the team shapes with him in it.

Good post until the Gerrards not a great passer comment

:D yeh & Torres isnt a great finisher
Nando26

Postby Nando26 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:24 pm

Octsky wrote:
Owzat wrote:I think we're also not getting enough bodies in the box, neither Lucas nor Mascherano is going to which is why I favour 4-1-3-2. With Alonso in the side we could play 4-2-3-1 quite comfortably as he is comfortable on the ball. Criticism of Lucas for trying to get rid of the ball makes me laugh as he'd get lambasted if he slowed play down or was caught in possession so either way he's going to get it in the neck. Dropping Gerrard back may reduce his effectiveness, do we really need two men sitting in midfield? Waste of Gerrard's talents, he's not really a great passer of the ball so we'd see 'Hollywood passes' squandering possession, him going in for even more tackles and I'd rather he was relieved of that responsibilty and the cost would be his goalscoring I have little doubt. We won't find out until perhaps too late whether Aquilani will be a hit and how best the team shapes with him in it.

Have to disagreed with you there, Oz.
IMO, any team that controls the midfield controls the game. Just like in basketball, if you can get the rebounds you control the whole game.

Gerrard made his name by being the all-round midfielder, and he does possess the all-range pass but we rarely see it now as he play further up. I'll love to see him running like a mad man in midfield, pressuring the opposition into making mistakes, bombing goalies with 30 yards shots and making pin point passes. Remember the 20-21 yr old shaved head Gerrard?
Mancs in the strongest had Keane, Arsenal had Veira, and we need our Gerrard back.

With Alonso around, Gerrard can play all more attacking role, but now he NEEDS to be back into the engine room, back to his roots.
That why Aquaman needs desperately to be a monster signing for us coz he will be our new Totti. He will be our new playmaker.

yeh coz Gerrards been W*nk the last few years..................oh no wait hes been outstanding

Last year he was by far the best player in the world he directly  contributed to nearly 50% of the teams goals. When you consider he was out injuried afew times he was nothing short of breathtaking

Only reason he hasnt won world player of the year over the likes of messi is because people will aleays favour the tricksters
Nando26

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion