Bolton V Liverpool - FA CUP replay - wed 4th feb K.O. 7.45pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Homebooby » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:12 pm

I expected us to be more comfortable than we were, but it's not that much of a surprise when we reverted back to Allen and Gerrard in the middle. Each time we do that we lose a lot of pace and we can't afford that. We were v. fortunate not to go 2 down and I didn't see us coming back from that to be honest.

A lot of positives in the game though being the way we switched things around and attacked. I still don't know for the life of my why we get the ball out wide and then immediately dart back inwards into the crowd of people. BR was talking about width in the game, but for me, we have none and we're weaker for it. Can as people are mentioning seems to be growing each game and looked like he could plug the hole that Stevie vacates at the end of the season, so that's really positive. We really missed Lucas and as much as I was hoping for Allen to show everyone something, he was anonymous largely and isn't tough enough for the position he plays. I was surprised to see Lallana go off instead of Marcovic to be honest as I'd hoped he'd get a full run out this time. It goes without saying that it is a pleasure to see DS back on the pitch with a nose for goal.....almost noone in the team has this as we witness so often as balls are hit into the penalty box and noone is within 5-10 ft of it. His first instinct is the 6 yard box and we desperately need that.

Most importantly each win builds confidence and that clearly is something we were lacking at the beginning of the season and we'll surely need going forward. We've a good chance in the tournament and I hope that we can sustain what we have and have a good solid run into the close season. 4 months is a long time and a lot can happen, hopefully it will be towards the positive for us.
Homebooby

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:06 pm

Firstly its a win thanks to two strokes of absolute genius from Can and Coutz  ,but I hope that's the last time we give an open invitation for teams to press our midfield
to the extent we're playing on the back foot. How the manager arrived at the conclusion that Allen and Gerrard would negate this from happening I  struggle to
comprehend .....I mean playing Gerrard as a DM makes Lucas look ineffective when the two are paired ,so Allen stood no chance.

Emre Can is a monster of a defender , but as a midfielder he would give this team so many options to be extraordinary in attack its untrue,the weight of his clipped
pass to Sterling was precise ,succinct and  sodden with quality....Talking of quality Coutinho  just defines the term ,his goal was 'world class 'and he would probably
make any team in Europe look more formidable right now ,the lad is a play maker in the Aimar bracket ,only the genius that was Pablo never possessed ball control
that Ronaldinho in his pomp would be proud to claim as his own.

If Lucas wasn't fit then Henderson and Allen should have been paired up in the middle ,to which ends I'm praying 'Mr Leiva' is fit for Saturday ,because its painfully
obvious we don't have anyone with his football brain and defensive qualities .....Well we do ,but he's currently playing out of his skin at the back.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:03 am

Liverpool FC don't do easy !! And this game was no exception. The last 15 minutes epitomised what I want to see. Guts and determinination by the bucket load. Fantastic goals. Brilliant individual performances from Sterling and Coutinho yet again.

The Bolton goalie had probably his best game for years at Anfield and made another couple of brilliant saves again last night. They could easily have gone 2-0. Bolton worked very hard. Lennon is doing a very good job. They made our lives very difficult - CREDIT TO THEM !!

There is so much to like about what is beginning to happen at Liverpool after a thoroughly awful start to the season. We now have some strength in depth and I believe that will get stronger during the summer. Yes we need to improve our strike force but do we really need to go out and spend £50m on a marquee signing - personally I don't think we do. To improve on Lambert and  Borini doesn't have to cost a fortune. Ibe is going to be useful if he continues to improve and I think he will. Origi will be at Liverpool next season and whilst he isn't having a great season he will be an improvement on what we have.

What we need now is to get decent results against Everton, Spurs and Besiktas. But more importantly we need Sterling to sign a contract and to hang on to our top players in the summer.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Previous