Liverpool vs St Etienne - Replay on TV

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:52 am

It's been on tonight on some SKY channel called ESPN, so no doubt it will be repeated for those who missed it.  There was a documentary on before it as well on Shankly, Sir Bob and Fagan.

Did anyone catch it?  I SKY Plussed it and will watch it shortly into the early hours.......

The match was played before I was born (I was born in 1979) but have seen the goals countless times on video and DVD.  Gerald Sinstadt's unmistakable tone was commentating.  We won the match 3 - 1 if I'm not mistaken but when Ray Kennedy scored, he famously shouted 2 - 2, because of the aggregate score.

Then Supersub struck again........

I've read elsewhere that St Etienne were the favourites that year and yet again we triumphed against the odds.  I think they had been beaten finalists the year earlier against Bayern Munich so St Etienne definitely had pedigree.

Watch it if you get the chance.  It's said it was the greatest night ever at Anfield. 

Of course, it was twenty-nine years ago.  If there is anyone who posts on here who was at the game and also the Chelsea semi-final game last season, or even the famous Houllier Roma game, it would be interesting to hear what you have to say about the difference and electricity of atmosphere between the games.
jonnymac1979

Postby madred » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:02 am

Interesting topic jonnymac because i have been to some big nights at Anfield (Auxerre, Barca, Roma) but i was only 4 years old at the time of that game and have often watched Fairclough's goal thinking that must have been amazing to be part of the kop that night. You could almost hear the noise erupt from the video when he scored and ran along the kop jumping for joy. That game started off these great european nights and made Anfield a place that would be feared by anyone in european football.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:12 am

i was 10 at the time and was at my nanas house on montrose road in tuebrook listening to the game on the radio. when fairclough scored i went in the back yard and could hear the crowd.

brilliant
112-1077774096

Postby dward » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:31 pm

would love to see it. I wasn't even born then.

but I haven't got sky :(
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:41 pm

I haven't got sky but I have seen the highlight on the dvd Ours To Keep. There is an interview with Thommo who was in hospital at the time of the match, he could only listen to it on the radio. When we scored the final goal Thommo screamed and the nurse came running inthinking he was in pain but he turned to her and said "We scored!!" :D

My dad went to the game with my grandad and he said they virtually shut the turnstiles as they got in. My dad said the Saint Etienne goal was the best he's ever seen. He thought Clemence was unbeatable from outside of the 18 yard box. Then suddenly a great strike beats him.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:28 pm

I watched it on telly . St Etienne weren't favourites to win the competition but they were french champs and an excellent footballing side .We'd lost the first leg one nil but were confident of overturning it back at our place . The resulting match is right up there with our finest nights.

REVIEW
Supersub strikes again on a real night to remember
Liverpool 3, St Etienne 1 (Agg: 3-2)
By Horace Yates, Daily Post

The key game
Liverpool v St Etienne, quarter-final second leg

AFTER one of the most stirring battles in Liverpool's long history of European competition, they qualified for the semi-final of the European Cup for the first time since 1965 with a tremendous victory over the French champions.

Although they opened up the necessary two-goal lead that spelled success in the end, it was a tremendously thorny road, with the French contesting every inch.

It was the 20-year-old David Fairclough who was the scoring hero, the lad who, six minutes from the end, achieved what was beginning to look like the impossible task of breaking down the French rearguard for a third time.
He will never score a more vital goal. He had been brought on in place of Welsh international John Toshack 17 minutes from the end.

It was the hard-working Ray Kennedy who won the ball in mid-field that made it all possible. He shrugged off a retrieving tackle and planted the ball firmly behind the French defence.

Fairclough was immediately in top gear. He won the challenge for the ball, brought it down and showed the coolness of a veteran in pushing the ball past the advancing Curkovic.

There has seldom been sights to rival the excitement shown by this capacity crowd. It was a night of tension, drama, elation, frustration and sheer jubilation, as Liverpool won a tactical battle that stretched them to the limits.

They could not have asked for a more uplifting start, for they had wiped out their first-leg deficit inside one minute 42 seconds.

The goal began innocuously enough, for, from a short corner by Heighway, Keegan raced forward a few yards and then meticulously chipped over Curkovic standing off his line.

A friendly wind helped the ball home - and enthusiasm knew no bounds.

Kevin Keegan's early goal had set Liverpool on their way to a 3-1 win over St Etienne

It was when everybody was wondering how Liverpool could devise a master plan to overcome the French tactics that the reverse - that was an ever present possibility from a mobile and talented team - presented itself..

On 51 minutes, Heighway lost possession and Bathenay, the player who scored St Etienne's goal in the first leg, gained possession 30 yards out and again beat Clemence.

Another Liverpool goal looked extremely difficult, two impossible. Then the renowned Liverpool spirit got to work.

From Callaghan's cross, Toshack upset the defence with his aerial challenge and the ball ran to Kennedy on the edge of the penalty area. He hit a ground shot that the diving Curkovic could not reach and with 32 minutes still left, the pot was on the boil.

The final moments produced sheer pandemonium. It seemed that the Fairclough goal had not only produced the vital margin, but had deflated the French, who last season were defeated finalists.

To their credit, St Etienne fought gamely, but once having sunk their teeth decisively into this tie, there was no way Liverpool were going to let go.

LIVERPOOL: Clemence, Neal, Jones, Smith, Kennedy, Hughes, Keegan, Case, Heighway, Toshack, Fairclough, Callaghan.

ST ETIENNE: Curkovic, Janvion, Earison, Merchadier (Reveill), Lopez, Bathenay, Rocheteau, Larque, Santini, Synaeghel, Reveill.

REFEREE: C G R Cerver (Holland)

ATT: 55,043

(look at the attendance  :buttrock  :D  )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ste123lfc » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:37 pm

It was the first Liverpool game I ever went too. I was 10 and had been midering me dad to take me for months. He came home from work that day and showed me the tickets, I went ballistic. What a way to get hooked.:D
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:18 pm

Rocheteau - we shoulda signed that fella!
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:35 am

Games like that passed into folklore and are the reason why other lads also not born at the time like Fowler, Owen and Gerrard all dreamed of glory and being a SuperSub. The hidden power of the Reds.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scouser4life » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:49 am

i always watch it on ESPN they show all the European cups of the past and 'The Liverpool Story' what a legend ESPN is:p
ALL ROUND THE FIELDS OF ANFIELD ROAD!!!!!!
Scouser4life

Postby thegreenred » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:53 pm

I was at the game christ what a night i've never heard so much noise in my life  i remenber the annie road end being full of these green scarves with liverpool scarves mixed in amongst them the kop was absolutely jamed packed i heard later on they shut the gates around 5 oclock , i was 10 years old and i have never witnessed a night as special as that one since the semi final v chelsea in champions league, i couldnt get to the as roma game so i cant comment on that one, games against manure utd in the 80s come close to same kind of atmosphere.
thegreenred

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:08 am

I wasn't born in 77 so didn't experince the Etitenne game but have been brought up on the stroies of it by the old man. He was there. Just right of the goal he told me at the Kop end. He said it sent shivers down your spine and the Kop was swaying back and forth with every kick. I didn't believe him until I saw the videos. I still thought that sort of atmosphere was impossible to create until I went to the AS Rome match where GH was welcomed back. I thought that as a real special match but the Chelsea match in 2005 was unbelieveable. Me and me dad were there. On the way home he told me that was better than 77. Being at Istanbul topped it even more though. I don't think anything will top Istanbul, the homecoming was close to it though.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby YURAS » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:54 pm

Hello+) i am fanat of GREAT LIVERPOOL in MOSCOW!!!I LOVE this club so much!my English is not good, and i don't undrestand many thems!Please help me where i can down load club songs and see fanat supprot andwhere i can download games of LOVE TEAM!!!
Thanks so MUCH
YURAS

Postby CardinalRed » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:40 pm

Keep your eye on ESPN Classic (SKY Channel 442) they often put on 70's and 80's games.... The pitches were diabolical (so were the shorts and the haircuts!) but there's some quality players on show and it's good to wonder how they'd have done today, or indeed how today's players would have fared back on those cow fields.....!
                                                                :cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby YURAS » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:35 pm

Please ask my post
YURAS

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games