Golf

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Boocity » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 am

Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 am wrote:
The Good Yank » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:42 am wrote:K'off mate.  Well done Euro team.  Epic choke by the US.  Cup well and truly held by the European team.

Rhyming slang fella not meant as an insult , not sure it was a choke , more they ran out of steam when it mattered

Furyk definitely choked
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 pm

I personally can't understand the thinking of Tiger conceeding that last hole like he did. He definitely gave the appearance of somebody that didn't give two shits about trying to salvage any pride for his team. Surely when you look back it would have been better from a US perspective to see a 14-14 result having been 10-4 up at one point.

Still,nothing can be taken away from the performance of the Europeans, to comeback like that in the US' own back yard is nothing short of a miracle and Seve was certainly smiling down on his old pal Olazabal and his team yesterday.

My biggest disappointment was not watching it all live having thrown the towel in after the way the US had played and battered (I think it's fair to say) the Europeans on the first two days.

So shame on me for being the one of little faith!!  :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:41 pm

not really a massive golf fan but that was engrossing viewing, i was watching the villa/west brom game but at half time i flicked the telly over just as the first pairing of donald and watson were teeing off and thought to myself `f**k it i`ll watch this for a bit`.
i was glued to my seat for the next 6 hours, amazing sporting theatre.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:57 pm

The Americans had too many guys who thought the game was up for Europe and spent
the early afternoon swaggering around Medinah whooping up the crowd rather than putting
points on the board and finishing the job.

All the arrogance early doors piled the pressure on the final games and left decent guys like
Furyk in a whole world of trouble and by the finish he could barely hold the club let alone
hit the ball.

In a strange way had the Americans taken that lead into the final day on European soil they
would have focused and won, but they got so carried away with the occasion they forgot to
play golf and paid the ultimate price.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:42 pm

What a phenomenal comeback. I can remember the days when coming back from a two point deficit was fairly big news, but four points on away soil having played so poorly to begin with is just unprecedented. Everything came together for the European team at the right time, from the last two matches of the final fourballs session, to the singles.

You felt they had to win a few of the early singles to give the rest of the team the belief that this was do-able, and then afterwards the rest of the team had to follow it up with enough wins of their own. Just staying in with a fighting chance until the very end would put the Americans under massive pressure to stave off defeat. All of the wins were important, of course. Donald, Lawrie and Westwood fairly comfortably won their matches, but the wins by Poulter, Mcilroy, Rose and Garcia were particularly crucial I thought because of how tight their matches were, and who they were up against.

Rose holed a ridiculous put on the 17th to even his match against a resurgent Mickelson before winning the 18th hole and the match, Poulter recovered with a fantastic shot on the 18th to set him up for the win, while Garcia just relied on his endurance to eke it out, forcing Furyk to make puts that nobody wants to have to make. All of them built on the success of their teammates and that set the stage for the final showdown between Kaymer/Stricker and Molinari/Woods.

And, I have to say that at that point I felt confident-ish that Kaymer would be able to take down Stricker even if Molinari wasn't looking so hot towards the end against Woods. After all, only a point was needed to retain the cup. But this wouldn't have been the epic it was if those two matches didn't also go right to the wire. As one of the commentators kept saying, this was an unwritable script. You couldn't just have Kaymer find the green on the 18th and have him take the match and the Ryder Cup with an easy two-put. No, he had to overshoot the first put so that he was just far enough from the hole to get everyone thinking "f'uck, this is no given!". Suffice it to say, I went almost as ballistic as Kaymer when that put went in  :D  Woods's subsequent f'uck up was just the icing on the cake that gave Europe an overall points win to add to their having already retained the trophy.
LFC2007

Postby fivecups » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:53 am

Better comeback: 2005 or this??
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 am

RUSHIE#9 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 pm wrote:I personally can't understand the thinking of Tiger conceeding that last hole like he did. He definitely gave the appearance of somebody that didn't give two shits about trying to salvage any pride for his team. Surely when you look back it would have been better from a US perspective to see a 14-14 result having been 10-4 up at one point.

Still,nothing can be taken away from the performance of the Europeans, to comeback like that in the US' own back yard is nothing short of a miracle and Seve was certainly smiling down on his old pal Olazabal and his team yesterday.

My biggest disappointment was not watching it all live having thrown the towel in after the way the US had played and battered (I think it's fair to say) the Europeans on the first two days.

So shame on me for being the one of little faith!!  :D

The worry the USA had over Tiger come true right at the end, not only did he not win a match but he also gave up on the last hole. that was a big putt he gave away, a good 6ft or more.

he is not a team player.
for me its the best comeback in the history of that event.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:10 pm

fivecups » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:53 am wrote:Better comeback: 2005 or this??

ignoring my liverpool (and footy) bias i`d say they were pretty much on a par, most observers considered both contests over bar the shouting.
the golf might even shade it because they were actually playing in their opponents backyard, istanbul was a nuetral ground and if anything liverpool had 3 sides of the stadium, there was way, way more liverpool fans there than milan fans.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:11 am

EUROPE! EUROPE! EUROPE!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:25 am

Wow Sergio Garcia from the bunker

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:50 pm

another one in the bag and comfortably as well  :nod  absolutely delighted for mc ginley and thought he was fantastic as captain since he was appointed  :bowdown
overall the tournament went well with both sides producing some nice golf at times. the course looked absolutely fantastic and both teams represented very well.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:27 am

Europe absolutely smashed the US. As an American I was never hopeful of having a chance when Europe have 3 of the hottest golfers right now in McIlroy, Garcia, and Stenson. The only player you could really say has been playing well for the US consistently is Fowler, and he didn't exactly have a tournament to remember.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby fivecups » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:53 am

ethanr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:27 am wrote:Europe absolutely smashed the US. As an American I was never hopeful of having a chance when Europe have 3 of the hottest golfers right now in McIlroy, Garcia, and Stenson. The only player you could really say has been playing well for the US consistently is Fowler, and he didn't exactly have a tournament to remember.

It was a bit of a mauling, I'd hoped for something a bit closer.

Ethan, what 's you take on the Mickelson/ Watson fall-out??
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum