Golf

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby fivecups » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:54 am

Well I love it. I love the pomp and ceremony, the tradition, the greens, amen corner, the 16th, the fact it's the first major of the year - I can't wait :D

This year has potential to be one of the best ever, if all the top players hit form. I'll be dancing in the streets if Mcilroy wins it.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 pm

any chance this thread can become a sticky?.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:11 pm wrote:Hate the Masters.

It is full of the posh exclusiveness that gives golf a bad name.

A tournament where you are only invited via exclusive lists shouldn't be a major.

A major should be a tournament every single golfer both pro and amateur should have the chance to play in.

They are so full of themselves.

Also the majors should be played on courses that the public can play on. Augusta you can't.

it is an exclusive course and real posh ill give you that.
there is only a field of 100 in this so its limited in that aspect.the top 50 ranked golfers automatically qualify and along with previous winners,highest ranked amateurs and some invitations makes that 100.
the last major is the pga players one and thats open to any golf pro or amateur through various rankings and competitions or it is possible to go the happy gilmore route providing you have a low handicap and are good enough to qualify.
most real decent quality courses arent public and are either private or member owned and pretty much all do green fees.id say augusta is similar and have open days where you can play.it all comes down to how much you would be willing to pay.personally i would pay up to $300 dollars for a game there if i could.

this course is a beast and it brings out the best in a golfer to win it, and your always guaranteed a thrilling finish.
its one of the biggest accolades for a pro golfer to win and they all want to do just that and thats what brings out the best in them and makes for a great tournament.

You can only play Augusta with a member - there is no open day , you can't just rock up and pay a lot to play it.

It shouldn't be a major.
Benny The Noon

Postby lakes10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 am

when i was age 15 i was playing off 8. then i started to look at boobs and stuff and fell back to 10.
I tried very hard to get better and spent some money to try to get down to 5 but that only ended up with me falling back to a 12.

I gave up for many years but about 6 years ago i started to play again. i wouls say i am now a hit or miss 12.

I have always used taylor made blades.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:10 am

lakes10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:04 am wrote:when i was age 15 i was playing off 8. then i started to look at boobs and stuff and fell back to 10.
I tried very hard to get better and spent some money to try to get down to 5 but that only ended up with me falling back to a 12.

I gave up for many years but about 6 years ago i started to play again. i wouls say i am now a hit or miss 12.

You were playing off 8 at 15???

My problem is the same as with everyone, consistency. One hole I can birdie a par 4 300 yards, but the next hole I might either
a: get to the green in one and then 5 putt
b: take about 6 to get 300 yards

It's so frustrating how you can hit one ball so sweet, then the next just trickles 10 yards down the fairway.

I am getting better though, the main course I play I have birdied every hole, just need to do it on the same round  :eyebrow
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:03 pm

dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:10 am wrote:
lakes10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:04 am wrote:when i was age 15 i was playing off 8. then i started to look at boobs and stuff and fell back to 10.

You were playing off 8 at 15???

My problem is the same as with everyone, consistency. One hole I can birdie a par 4 300 yards, but the next hole I might either
a: get to the green in one and then 5 putt
b: take about 6 to get 300 yards

It's so frustrating how you can hit one ball so sweet, then the next just trickles 10 yards down the fairway.

I am getting better though, the main course I play I have birdied every hole, just need to do it on the same round  :eyebrow

at the age of 11 i started playing, i was ***** for about 2 weeks then started to hit the ball 200yards. my dad gave me a set of clubs and i took it from there, at the age of 14 i was on the course every day, I was bit mad about golf, i made my dad take me to every open and if he could not i would get my friends to take me with them. i joined the local golf club and started to beat the other members, as a young lad i was not liked very much at the club and my family did not have much money but out on the course i would beat them.

i left the club when i was 16 due to a bust up about me not having a tie on when i turned up one day to get a drink of coke after a game, it was clear to many they had just got fed up of being shown up by a young lad.

but them boobs and booz started to get in the way lol and found myself not playing that much. in truth i think i stopped player once my game had been ripped apart by the club pro who said he could get me down to 5.

I dont get mad now when i have a ***** game, i took me sometime to think like that, i would get ***** off as i know how good i could have been.
now i am just happy if i get 9 pars in one day lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:08 pm

dawson i know how you feel mate, two years ago i got a albatross on the par 5 and then on the next hole a 150 yard par 3 hit an 8 lol

The guy i play with now gets mad when he miss hits a shot, so much so that he lobbed his club at the gold buggy and it stuck in the perspex window lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Louis Oosthuizen has just hit the mother of all shots - an albatross on the par 5 2nd hole. Unbelievable shot!
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:52 pm

RUSHIE#9 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:59 am wrote:Louis Oosthuizen has just hit the mother of all shots - an albatross on the par 5 2nd hole. Unbelievable shot!

Just saw that.  Fowler was not far from one on 13, and I was thinking I've never seen an albatross.  Then Oosthuizen sticks it in. What a shot.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby lakes10 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:19 pm

ethanr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:52 pm wrote:
RUSHIE#9 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:59 am wrote:Louis Oosthuizen has just hit the mother of all shots - an albatross on the par 5 2nd hole. Unbelievable shot!

Just saw that.  Fowler was not far from one on 13, and I was thinking I've never seen an albatross.  Then Oosthuizen sticks it in. What a shot.

when i got my albatross it was 100% luck, wish i could say it was skill.
the hole was 200 yards up hill then 300 and something down hill to the green, we had not had any rain for 6 weeks and the ground was rock hard.
hit my drive and it landed at about 250 yards and shot up like a rocket and just carried on going down the hill and ended up 10ft from the hole.

I still have the ball, it sits next to by hole in one ball.......and that one was down to skill lol (in truth if the flag had not have been in i would ended up 50 yards off the green lol i almost topped the ball on a par 3 and it sort of ran all the way onto the green and into the hole)

I got free tees and a 6 balls for my hole in one.
for my albatross ....it cost me £58 in drinks at the bar.

both games i lost by 8 shots.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Hate this time of year, just spent the last 4 days talking to friends about golf and i now feel the need to go and pick them up and play again, funny as i had to move my clubs out of my office today and we are turning it into a babies room.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 pm

You can only play Augusta with a member - there is no open day , you can't just rock up and pay a lot to play it.

It shouldn't be a major.

Thankfully it will always be a major.

Can see Oosthuizen holding on to win this, cool customer.
Last edited by fivecups on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 pm

have to say majorly disapointed that woods and mc ilroy flopped :eyebrow all the hype for nowt
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 pm

fivecups » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 pm wrote:

It shouldn't be a major.

Thankfully it will always be a major.

Can see Oosthuizen holding on to win this, cool customer.

yeah he doesnt look fazed at all  :cool: as A
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 pm wrote:have to say majorly disapointed that woods and mc ilroy flopped :eyebrow all the hype for nowt

Me too mate, was really hoping for a battle royale. Shows how blinkered we are. When it comes to golf, like Dawson says above, sometimes for no good reason, you play brilliant, the other day, total rubbish.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum