Golf... who plays?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby ethanr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:37 pm

I've played for a few months now, but I still can't drive. No control on it whatsoever, so I've just stuck to some par 3 courses that are pretty fun.

Since many of you seem to have some advice, any advice for learning to drive? Also, I struggle to get any power behind my irons...
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:40 pm

ethanr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:37 pm wrote:I've played for a few months now, but I still can't drive. No control on it whatsoever, so I've just stuck to some par 3 courses that are pretty fun.

Since many of you seem to have some advice, any advice for learning to drive? Also, I struggle to get any power behind my irons...

Go to a driving range.

With the Irons I dont like to sound like a dick but are your clubs any good?

If you get a ***** iron and a good iron the weight diffrence can be alot hence no power

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:40 pm

ethanr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:37 pm wrote:I've played for a few months now, but I still can't drive. No control on it whatsoever, so I've just stuck to some par 3 courses that are pretty fun.

Hitting the driver is the hardest thing in the world - all about getting the correct set up and controlling the swing. Swinging is all about the timing. Also getting irons and driver fitted correctly. Set up naturally with a wide stance with the ball opposite your left heel, - when you hit the driver what normally happens ? A slice ? Hook or a top ?. A lesson and club fitting would work wonders
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 pm

I must admit I'm in a similar situation. I no longer have a car so am finding it difficult to drive :D

On a serious note, i ***** hate my driver. I either hit it long and well or Sh*t and nowhere. I just use a four Iron off the tee now, I can hit that two thirty/forty, tryin to get hold of a three Iron in the same measurements and style as my current set.

I've decided I'm not giving up. Glad am not the only one who's struggled at times  :buttrock
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:07 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 pm wrote:

I must admit I'm in a similar situation. I no longer have a car so am finding it difficult to drive :D

On a serious note, i ***** hate my driver. I either hit it long and well or Sh*t and nowhere. I just use a four Iron off the tee now, I can hit that two thirty/forty, tryin to get hold of a three Iron in the same measurements and style as my current set.

I've decided I'm not giving up. Glad am not the only one who's struggled at times  :buttrock

What make are your clubs?

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:08 pm

LFC1990 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm wrote:It would really depend on the course to be honest as no two courses are the same.

I play a 9 hour par 3's and do it in roughly 35

The thing with golf is the more you practice you do the better you will become

Get out onto real course :D
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Taylor made RBZ, 2 degree upright lie and half inch longer...

half an inch matters  :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:10 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:09 pm wrote:Taylor made RBZ, 2 degree upright lie and half inch longer...

half an inch matters  :D

Loft ? shaft and swing speed ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:34 pm

standard loft, regular flex shaft, 107 swing speed (i think, never been on track man), but got a lot of flex, not a fast swing but i generate good lag and have a huge swing arch (apparently) :D

Also, when i've played with stiff shafted clubs the ball comes off flat
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Well for your swing speed you need a stiffer shaft - did you get the driver fitted ? You will get loads of flex with a reg shaft with that swing speed. A stiffer shaft with higher loft will give you so much more control and distance - do you  slice it regulary - if yes then its definatly the shaft.
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:00 pm

No i don't slice it, I can occassionally have a hook from swinging in to out.

I'm not convinced with big balls shafts, i got them custom fitted by a pro and wanted the stiff shaft but i found my timing wasn't giving me any flex in the shaft at all hardly. I have a very slow back swing and pause at the top for control, when I'm playing well it works... when I'm not I might aswell just turn up with a set of dunlops :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Did you get your driver fitted on the trackman ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 pm

No, just on a driving range.

You can tell by the flight though when i hit a ball it stays low when i use a stiff shaft.

All this discussing shafts is making me uneasy.

:D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:00 pm

:laugh:

Get yourself to see your local pro and get onto a trackman and see the flight and try the different options - it's extremely useful to get a better flight and spin ratio.

The low ball flight will be compensated by a higher loft - it's exactly how my driver is set up.
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Played a course in the Scottish Highlands called Traigh Golf Club in early August while on holiday where I got a £20 day permit and managed to get in 27 holes while my partner trudged off dispirited after 9  :D  Like others have said, it's a great game when you're playing well but when you're stuck in a rut trying to work out why x/y/z keeps going wrong you can't wait to get back to the clubhouse. For me it's usually my driving, which I tend to slice and end up in all sorts of trouble so invariably unless the fairway is a mile wide I like to stick with my irons. I'm a big hitter so it's no problem. My 6 iron, what I like to think of as the Lucas Leiva of my bag, is especially reliable   :laugh:
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum