Golf... who plays?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Its strange to what people imagine to be a big hitter.

My mate reckons he hits his driver about 300 yards, he's more like 230/240...

I play with another lad who hits three twenty and three thirty regularly and f*ck me... when he hits a ball it looks like its in the air forever. Can drive greens on short par fours too. Great to watch, especially when I birdie a hole with an iron, wedge and putter and he's drove the green and came off with par :D

On a good day, Driver 280
3 wood... don't use
Rescue, Cant use

4 iron 230
5 iron 215
6 iron 200
7 iron 185
8 iron 170
9 iron 155
wedge 140
52 120
sand iron 105
62 85

Putter... 150 off the tee :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 pm

they are quite good distances for a double figure handicapper stu. ya must be falling to pot somewhere along the line  :D
i wouldnt be that long off the tee as i have a low trajectory, my driver carries maybe 220 - 230 and depending on the day(centre of fairway helps) spills out maybe 50-60. where i play is right alongside the sea and man does the wind get up, and having a low ball flight means it isnt hanging there and coming back to you.
http://www.seapointgolflinks.com/
check out the course flyover
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Its stringing two good shots together. Distance is about a tenth of the battle, I'm not a massive hitter, but I'm more than long enough. Its keepin the friggin thing straight thats killing me. It is good fun though out driving mates with a four iron when they're using driver :D

Too be fair, I can't resist going for Par fives in two aswell which can sometimes put me in a world of pain :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:46 pm

StuYesThatStu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:34 pm wrote:Its stringing two good shots together. Distance is about a tenth of the battle, I'm not a massive hitter, but I'm more than long enough. Its keepin the friggin thing straight thats killing me. It is good fun though out driving mates with a four iron when they're using driver :D

Too be fair, I can't resist going for Par fives in two aswell which can sometimes put me in a world of pain :D

lol thats a massive problem of mine as well, always get a dose of the mc ilroys about me and have to go for everything.
laying up is for pussie's  :laugh:
used to play a lot of tiger woods on the xbox years ago and i think that's where it stemmed from  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:45 am

LFC1990 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am wrote:
ethanr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:37 pm wrote:I've played for a few months now, but I still can't drive. No control on it whatsoever, so I've just stuck to some par 3 courses that are pretty fun.

Since many of you seem to have some advice, any advice for learning to drive? Also, I struggle to get any power behind my irons...

Go to a driving range.

With the Irons I dont like to sound like a dick but are your clubs any good?

If you get a ***** iron and a good iron the weight diffrence can be alot hence no power

I've gone to the range, and one day I hit everything straight (only like 200 yards but perfectly straight) and I can't figure out what the f*ck I was doing right because now it goes everywhere. I make adjustments but still slice or hook 90% of the time, and when I do hit it straight it's only 175-200.

To answer your second question, I have the worst clubs in the world. They were my dads from like, the 80's or something and a pawn shop wouldn't take the ***** for free! My distances are awful tho:

9- 125
8- don't really use it
7-130-140
6-140-150
5-140-170 (my go-to club!)
4- 50-150 (Don't even pull it from my bag)
3- 150-180, have hit about 200 with it at max but no nearly consistent as I'd like to be.
Driver- 150-200 when it goes straight, also a very, very poor driver.

How much could better clubs help? And my distances are not fantastically consistent, but is the reason that they are somewhat all over the place just me being a newer, poor golfer? I'm a smaller, very thin guy. Definitely wouldn't consider my self strong at all.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ethanr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:48 am

Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am wrote:
ethanr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:37 pm wrote:I've played for a few months now, but I still can't drive. No control on it whatsoever, so I've just stuck to some par 3 courses that are pretty fun.

Since many of you seem to have some advice, any advice for learning to drive? Also, I struggle to get any power behind my irons...

Hitting the driver is the hardest thing in the world - all about getting the correct set up and controlling the swing. Swinging is all about the timing. Also getting irons and driver fitted correctly. Set up naturally with a wide stance with the ball opposite your left heel, - when you hit the driver what normally happens ? A slice ? Hook or a top ?. A lesson and club fitting would work wonders

It goes every direction you could imagine. hook, slice, top, the golfer in the stall next to me. How much do you think proper clubs that were fitted and a lesson or two would cost? And is it easy to find somebody that can really help your, or do you need to be careful with who you pick?
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:13 am

ethanr wrote:
LFC1990 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am wrote:

Go to a driving range.

With the Irons I dont like to sound like a dick but are your clubs any good?

If you get a ***** iron and a good iron the weight diffrence can be alot hence no power

I've gone to the range, and one day I hit everything straight (only like 200 yards but perfectly straight) and I can't figure out what the f*ck I was doing right because now it goes everywhere. I make adjustments but still slice or hook 90% of the time, and when I do hit it straight it's only 175-200.

To answer your second question, I have the worst clubs in the world. They were my dads from like, the 80's or something and a pawn shop wouldn't take the ***** for free! My distances are awful tho:

9- 125
8- don't really use it
7-130-140
6-140-150
5-140-170 (my go-to club!)
4- 50-150 (Don't even pull it from my bag)
3- 150-180, have hit about 200 with it at max but no nearly consistent as I'd like to be.
Driver- 150-200 when it goes straight, also a very, very poor driver.

How much could better clubs help? And my distances are not fantastically consistent, but is the reason that they are somewhat all over the place just me being a newer, poor golfer? I'm a smaller, very thin guy. Definitely wouldn't consider my self strong at all.

Better clubs would improve your game a hell of a lot.

My mate and I some months back was at a driving range and he was hitting them 250 yards easily with his 3 and 4 iron yet I could barely manage to get 100.

My clubs were Onyx his was Callaway. I held both clubs and the weight difference was incredible. I used his club once and it went 50 yards becuase my swing was out using someone elses clubs. After 10-15 balls i was hitting them 150 - 200 yards perfectly straight.

The size of you doesnt matter as your power is in the swing.

Depending on how serious you want to take golf I would suggest get a lesson with a pro. They give you tips that you wouldnt think could be a problem. Saying that they cost me for an hours lesson £40

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:27 am

You can get a good set fitted in this country for around £250 for a decent set of cavity backed clubs - they will improve your game massively. Don't go to a discount golf store like American Golf etc - find a golf course pro who fits clubs.

Lessons can be anything from £20-40 depending on what lesson it is. Over here they are doing a get into golf scheme which is ten lessons for £100 - proving successful
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:08 am

Don't play golf but I'm often blown away by some of the stunning locations

Have any of you golf nuts seen this, A million dollar prize offered for the first hole in one, clicky ----> Worlds most extreme golf hole

:wwww

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:28 am

Can't see the vid but is it the one where they need to take a helicopter up to the tee they play down to a hole a mile down or something
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 am

ethanr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:48 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am wrote:

Hitting the driver is the hardest thing in the world - all about getting the correct set up and controlling the swing. Swinging is all about the timing. Also getting irons and driver fitted correctly. Set up naturally with a wide stance with the ball opposite your left heel, - when you hit the driver what normally happens ? A slice ? Hook or a top ?. A lesson and club fitting would work wonders

It goes every direction you could imagine. hook, slice, top, the golfer in the stall next to me. How much do you think proper clubs that were fitted and a lesson or two would cost? And is it easy to find somebody that can really help your, or do you need to be careful with who you pick?

Its usually about fifteen twenty quid a lesson. Three or four will probably get you under a hundred. Short game is massively important as is ball striking.

Get lessons before clubs, clubs will only save you shots once you learn the basics... 

1. Keeping your left arm straight through the swing.
2. The Correct posture, grip and
3 . Solid foundation and swing plane.

What scores do you usually shoot?
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 am

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:28 am wrote:Can't see the vid but is it the one where they need to take a helicopter up to the tee they play down to a hole a mile down or something

:nod , legends club in South Africa.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:56 am

woof woof ! » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:28 am wrote:Can't see the vid but is it the one where they need to take a helicopter up to the tee they play down to a hole a mile down or something

:nod , legends club in South Africa.

Amazing hole

There is a course in Bulgaria where they have a tee built out in the sea and need a boat to it plus a couple courses have island greens where you need to take a boat to the green.
Benny The Noon

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 pm

How about you guys try some real sports eh :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Whats not "real" about walking round a field hitting a ball with a stick? :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum