Farewell to sami - A true anfield great

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby red37 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Thankyou for the memories Sami. One of my favourite players to have given their best for this club. And a much underappreciated Defender...a true Rock. And a real threat at set-pieces, that will be missed.

Best of luck in Germany Sami.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sarge » Tue May 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Sammi....you are a legend..

come back as the defense coach will you...

YNWA! :buttrock
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby Bermenstein » Tue May 05, 2009 4:24 pm

What a great player Sami Hyppia was for Liverpool. I hope he really enjoys the remainder of his playing days before he finally comes back maybe as a coach.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 pm

heimdall wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:I hope we give him a testimonial. He derserves one, An i am dead suprised no one from the prem actualy came in for him, Would walk into most teams an be the number one defender in that team, Theres not many top top defenders of his caliba still around tbh. Did an immence job against the mancs for us,

I hope its just a little break from us because i can see him coming back someday in a coaching role

Does the money from testimonials go to charity? Totally agree he deserves that honour but I disgree with the money going to the players.  These days they are all so wealthy anyway that is would surely be better if the money goes to good causes.

I'll miss Sami though, one of the best defenders we've ever had at Liverpool.

Heimdall i think Sami is the least likely footballer to cash in off a testimonial, he donated 23,000 to a hospital by ours this year which sums up what kind of man he is.

Gutted that he is going but can understand it, he owes us nothing and at his age and all the service he has given he goes to Germany with all the praise in the world from me and my best wishes.

Just hope he does come back as a coach when he decides he has had enough of playing.
Will be difficult to replace as well, a back up of that quality that is happy to not be first choice - or not happy should i say - more ok with it.

See article below heimdall

Soccer hero gives £23,000 to Wirral hospital appeal
12:30pm Thursday 5th March 2009

Comments (2)   Have your say »

By Justin Dunn »

BIG-hearted Liverpool footballer Sami Hyypia has donated nearly £23,000 out of his own pocket to a Wirral hospital appeal.

The extraordinary gesture from the Anfield defender came after Radio City's Cash For Kids charity launched an appeal to raise £50,000 towards a new family unit at Arrowe Park.

The radio station was aiming to raise the cash needed to complete the building of a Ronald McDonald House at the hospital.

The £850,000 facility will accommodate seven families at a time, acting as a 'home from home' allowing parents to get some rest in a comfortable environment, as close to their child as possible.

But on hearing of the appeal, Hyypia, 35 - who lives on Wirral and whose youngest son was born at Arrowe Park - immediately pledged the £22,270 shortfall.

Radio City's breakfast show host Simon Ross told the Globe: "This is incredibly generous of Sami. We can't thank him enough.

"His kindness will help families across Merseyside - regardless of what football team they support!"

A state of the art playroom within the house is to be named after Phil Easton, the Radio City and City Talk broadcasting legend who passed away at the beginning of February.

Around 9,000 children from across Merseyside stay at the hospital every year.

Wirral resident Rafa Benitez has also backed the campaign, along with Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher.

Tranmere boss Ronnie Moore and captain Anthony Kay have also pledged their support, along with other Merseyside celebrities including The Royle Family’s Ricky Tomlinson and Loose Women’s Denise Welsh and ex-Brookside beauties Anne Marie Davies and Suzanne Collins.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard's shirt from next week's second-leg Champions League tie with Real Madrid game is up for auction. To bid call, 0151 472 6900.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Tue May 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Sad news best of luck to him he was our best CB at times this season at the age of 35 so that says it all.
Zidane

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue May 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia said it was a huge wrench to leave the club after 10 years but he hoped to eventually return to Anfield as a coach.

The 35-year-old Finland international, who will join Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen in the close season, explained on Tuesday his amicable departure from Liverpool.

"The main reason is I still think I'm young enough to play football and I know chances to play here would be limited," he told the club's website.

"I understand it isn't possible to play enough games here for me to be happy, so I had to look elsewhere.

"I got the option to go abroad to Bayer Leverkusen. The whole package was good, they have big plans for me and hopefully I can go there and help them to be successful."

Hyypia has won the Champions League, UEFA Cup, European Super Cup twice and English League Cup and FA Cup twice, having played more than 450 games for Liverpool, scoring 35 goals. He is also closing in on a century of appearances for Finland.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez offered Hyypia a coaching role but the Finn felt it was too early to stop playing.

"Coaching is something which has always been in my mind, but I have to take my badges first," he said. "At the end of my playing career I will look to take the badges and then see. I would like to come back here one day as a coach."
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Octsky » Wed May 06, 2009 2:16 am

Respect to the man. been offered a mid term contract as a coach, but choose to follow his dream of playing. believing in his own abilities even at the age of 35. sami, hope u have a couple more years in Germany's top flight. good luck.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby yolz » Wed May 06, 2009 2:36 am

Thanks for the memories and all the best in Germany Sami.....
The premiership is about the only trophy that has yet to be won with Sami
Hope that the Gods will be smiling down and let Sami lift it before he goes!
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed May 06, 2009 3:13 am

heimdall wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:I hope we give him a testimonial. He derserves one, An i am dead suprised no one from the prem actualy came in for him, Would walk into most teams an be the number one defender in that team, Theres not many top top defenders of his caliba still around tbh. Did an immence job against the mancs for us,

I hope its just a little break from us because i can see him coming back someday in a coaching role

Does the money from testimonials go to charity? Totally agree he deserves that honour but I disgree with the money going to the players.  These days they are all so wealthy anyway that is would surely be better if the money goes to good causes.

I'll miss Sami though, one of the best defenders we've ever had at Liverpool.

Is there nothing you won't moan about? :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed May 06, 2009 3:16 am

Sami Hyypia, for me, is the best defender we've had for a couple of decades. The bloke never, ever let anyone down and I am gutted he is leaving.

Best import the Premiership has seen. Stick yer Ferdinands, stick yer Vidic's, stick yer Terry's and stick yer Carvalho's up yer a*se.

Sami was the best.  :bowdown  :bowdown  :buttrock  :bowdown  :bowdown

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Wed May 06, 2009 6:50 am

good luck Sami you deserve any success that comes your way, come back soon as there will always be a place for you back at Anfield.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Owzat » Wed May 06, 2009 8:26 am

Someone on teletext said he's been one of the greatest and most loyal servants, another decided to challenge that and mention Ryan Giggs. Yeah, must be hard to stay at one club that never goes more than a couple of seasons without winning the league and did three doubles................ :O Sami was more important to us than Giggs was to the mancs, they had plenty of quality players whereas Sami didn't have comparable quality in the side around him - or we'd have won titles.

Certainly a contender for buy of the Premiership, if not outright then certainly in his price bracket. If we were buying him now as he was when we bought him, I reckon you'd be looking at £7m easily, probably more. And I would say was in the same bracket as Vidic, scored us some crucial goals and solid.

Lando - no there isn't, and Sami has been our best CB/defender since Hansen
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed May 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Farewell Sami... one of the greatest defenders that ever played... unbeatable in the air... scored lots of headers...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Wed May 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Gutted, cant imagine a LFC squad without our Mr dependable, involved in most of our great victorys over this past ten years, including a certain 4-1 at theirs a few games ago, past it my ar$e. And people talk about pace? He never had it in the first place, his reading of the game is so good he`s there first more often than not, just take a look back to the utd game, and not just that but he`s a fkin good footballer too, rarely makes a mistake and is always likely to get you one at the other end.
All the best Sami, absolute legend!
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed May 06, 2009 7:30 pm

He is going to be really hard to replace :(
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge