Farewell to sami - A true anfield great

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:13 pm

NANNY RED wrote:I hope we give him a testimonial. He derserves one, An i am dead suprised no one from the prem actualy came in for him, Would walk into most teams an be the number one defender in that team, Theres not many top top defenders of his caliba still around tbh. Did an immence job against the mancs for us,

I hope its just a little break from us because i can see him coming back someday in a coaching role

Plenty of Prem teams were in for him - Sunderland, Newcastle, Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves etc apparently all wanted him. 

To be honest I think he'd be exposed in those teams a bit too much with less organised defences which would be under more constant pressure than ours usually is.  With his lack of pace Sami has to be playing in a solid defensive unit, he's not capable of running around covering for others anymore.  He'd still have done a job for us for a few years yet though imo.

Bundesliga isn't as strong as the Premiership, but similar style, so overall I think it's the ideal place for him to go for a few seasons.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon May 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Your a legend Sami, im almost into tears! best of luck to you, you will always be remembered here!

YNWA LEGEND! :buttrock
Last edited by metalhead on Mon May 04, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 04, 2009 5:28 pm

john craig wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:I hope we give him a testimonial. He derserves one, An i am dead suprised no one from the prem actualy came in for him, Would walk into most teams an be the number one defender in that team, Theres not many top top defenders of his caliba still around tbh. Did an immence job against the mancs for us,

I hope its just a little break from us because i can see him coming back someday in a coaching role

Plenty of Prem teams were in for him - Sunderland, Newcastle, Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves etc apparently all wanted him. 

To be honest I think he'd be exposed in those teams a bit too much with less organised defences which would be under more constant pressure than ours usually is.  With his lack of pace Sami has to be playing in a solid defensive unit, he's not capable of running around covering for others anymore.  He'd still have done a job for us for a few years yet though imo.

Bundesliga isn't as strong as the Premiership, but similar style, so overall I think it's the ideal place for him to go for a few seasons.

I think your most prob right there John , Regarding pace, but the brain is still alert, Most defenders in the prem even at middle of the table teams still dont have the football brain an nouse that Sami has , Im just gutted hes leaving to be honest
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 04, 2009 5:40 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
john craig wrote:

I think your most prob right there John , Regarding pace, but the brain is still alert, Most defenders in the prem even at middle of the table teams still dont have the football brain an nouse that Sami has , Im just gutted hes leaving to be honest

he was superb against man utd and could often use his experince to get himself out of most tricky situations. However, i think at this stage of his career he just wants regular football and i think he'll be great in Germany
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Mon May 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Real shame as he embodied everything about a Liverpool centre back imho....not a surprise though, especially after the news that he turned down a backroom job....clearly they were telling him they couldn't guarantee him anything and that was their carrot. You can't blame him for wanting to keep going while he can.

Maybe we'll see him back some day in the backroom though?
Homebooby

Postby Feeney » Mon May 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Only just found out as i've been working and i'm absoutely devastated he's going.

An absolute modern-day great Liverpool player and I truly hope he still gets his testimonial game, i'll be there front and centre.

Unfortunately i'm in Turkey for the last game of the season, so here's hoping the Anfield faithfull give him the send off he richly deserves.

Sami Hyypia, LFC Legend  :bowdown

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon May 04, 2009 6:05 pm

I must say this came as a bit of a shock. I always thought he woudl retire here but he is that good he could probably get a few more years in another league and who would Rafa be to stop him. Anyway he has been a fantastic servent of the club and I really hope he get's a testimonial.

He is probably our only CB that offers an ariel threat, something which Rafa will need to address with Skrtel and even Agger (although Agger does come forward and can strike the ball well)

It wasn't so long ago him and Stefan Henchoz were rated amongst many as the best CB paring in England. My favourate Sammy moment was the 1st goal against Juve in the QF in 2005.

All the best Sammi. You will be missed.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon May 04, 2009 6:30 pm

I've just found out about Sami. Totally gutted that he's leaving.  I have to say that he has been one of our greatest players. Absolute quality- through and through.

I was hopeing that he would decide to retire at Liverpool FC and take up "backroom staff" job. Hopefully though, when he does decide to retire, he'll come back.

Sami "Hypster" Hyppia YNWA.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RedRoots » Mon May 04, 2009 6:36 pm

I'm only 23 so the majority of Legends that have graced anfield were before my time. Big Sami though is from my generation and i'm truly proud and honoured to have laid witness to such an immense player and top professional at my club. There would be nothing i'd love more than to see him lift the cup above his head this year, it'd the perfect end to a great career at anfield.

I understand totally why he wants to leave and it's a testement to the mans love of the game, there's been many a top player who's hung up his boots prematurely just because he didn't have the heart for a fight but not Samii.

Good luck and all the best for the future, hopefully we'll see you back at Anfield in a few years down the line!

YNWA.
RedRoots

Postby Reg » Mon May 04, 2009 6:43 pm

Surely Rafa wouldnt let him go without resolving the Agger contract situation? ???
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon May 04, 2009 6:44 pm

one of the most underrated defenders of this generation
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon May 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Reg wrote:Surely Rafa wouldnt let him go without resolving the Agger contract situation? ???

Agger's already signed a new contract mate.  :)

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon May 04, 2009 7:01 pm

metalhead wrote:one of the most underrated defenders of this generation

Not sure about that mate. Back when he had Henchoz next to him they were the best pairing in the country. Shame he didn't get to shine on the international stage at a WC but still.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 04, 2009 7:16 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Reg wrote:Surely Rafa wouldnt let him go without resolving the Agger contract situation? ???

Agger's already signed a new contract mate.  :)

He hasnt signed it yet Bav :(
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon May 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Does the money from testimonials go to charity? Totally agree he deserves that honour but I disgree with the money going to the players.  These days they are all so wealthy anyway that is would surely be better if the money goes to good causes.

I'll miss Sami though, one of the best defenders we've ever had at Liverpool.
heimdall

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge