Farewell to sami - A true anfield great

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Reg » Mon May 04, 2009 4:15 pm

Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia has agreed to join Bayer Leverkusen on a two-year deal at the end of the season.

04 May 2009

Hyypia, 36, who underwent a medical at the Bundesliga club this morning and will join his new team-mates after spending a decade on Merseyside, said: "The discussions with Bayer were very positive. They gave me the feeling they wanted to sign me.

"I look forward to the task in Leverkusen and hope that we will be successful together."

Meanwhile, Rudi Voller, Leverkusen’s sporting director, said he was happy with his acquisition: "Sami will bring experience and presence to our young squad."

The Finnish international was signed to Liverpool by former manager Gerard Houllier for £2.5 million from Dutch side Willem II and has, to date, scored 35 goals in 463 appearances.

After making his debut in August 1999, Hyypia forged a solid partnership in the centre of defence with Stephane Henchoz.

Hyypia, during his time at Anfield, has won every European and domestic trophy available other than the Premier League and in 2001 as vice-captain, led the team out for much of the season in the absence of the injured Jamie Redknapp.

The popular Finn was later handed the captain’s armband on a permanent basis after Redknapp left for Tottenham.

Hyypia has been used sparingly since the arrivals of Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Good luck Sami.

YNWA
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 04, 2009 4:19 pm

hmmm.....not too pleased. who could our 4th choice CB be now?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Gutted hes going like because he still had a lot to offer as far as im concerned , One of the greats , gentlemen an will be sorely missed, Thanks Sami lad it was a pleasure to have had you in our team an an even greater pleasure to have watched you play.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Sami has been immense at Anfield, he helped Houllier win the UEFA cup, helped Rafa win the CL in 2005, helped a young Carra learn his trade and formed the backbone of every team in the past 10 years. He´s been a true Liverpool servant, always fair, always given 100%, always been dependable when things began to look dodgy. He´s scored some cracking goals over the years and key goals just when we needed them.

Many players have come and gone during his 10 years with the club but of all, Sami has to be up there with the greats and worthy of his place alongside Hansen, Lawrenson, Yeats etc.. as legendary central defenders.

Sami - wish you well at BL, wish you and your family every happiness and real heartfelt thanks for everything you've done for LFC during 10 very difficult years and helping us win so much during lean times.

If we win the title next year instead of this year - its as much Sami's as anyones.

Massive kudos mate.
Last edited by Reg on Mon May 04, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:30 pm

:(

Sad day...The man is a Legend!!

Rafa better sign another CB now!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 04, 2009 4:30 pm

arguably the best signing we ever made.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Completely and Utterly Gutted  :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Said this in the other thread...

Gutted we won't have him in the ranks next season but I completely understand his decision if he's confident Leverkusen will offer him more first-team opportunities.  A true legend and one of my favourite all-time players.  He will be missed.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 04, 2009 4:39 pm

sad to see him go, but the right decision for all i think.

His first team chances have been limited and he has made it clear he wants to continue playing, so a coaching position wasn't an option.

Good luck Sami, hope you keep playing for a few more years yet.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Mon May 04, 2009 4:42 pm

:kungfu:  :Oo:  :down:  :no  :sniffle Image

farewell true legend
all the best in germany
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon May 04, 2009 4:45 pm

shocked and absolutely gutted
it had been some decent years that would have been different without you
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon May 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Good for Sami and not so good for us. I believe Sami can still play in the top competitive side and wish him all the best. He is in fact a legend. So dominant in the Air with excellent football IQ and positioning. I wish he could have stayed for one more season as we will definitely win the EPL latest by next season. It might be time for Carra to be in the same role as Sami. Rafa need to find another CB in the summer I suppose.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 04, 2009 4:58 pm

I hope we give him a testimonial. He derserves one, An i am dead suprised no one from the prem actualy came in for him, Would walk into most teams an be the number one defender in that team, Theres not many top top defenders of his caliba still around tbh. Did an immence job against the mancs for us,

I hope its just a little break from us because i can see him coming back someday in a coaching role
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Youlin » Mon May 04, 2009 5:09 pm

will sami play one more game for liverpool? maybe the last one against spurs?
Youlin

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge