Liverpool vs chelsea - Anfield : sunday 2nd may 2010 13.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Owzat » Sat May 01, 2010 6:29 am

Well it is the one a lot of us won't mind losing, whether we set out to or not the result may well be beyond our capacity to control anyway!

Last 10 Head to heads at Anfield

08/09 LIV 1-3 CHE (CL)
08/09 LIV 2-0 CHE (PREM)
07/08 LIV 1-1 CHE (CL)
07/08 LIV 1-1 CHE (PREM)
06/07 LIV 1-0 CHE (CL)
06/07 LIV 2-0 CHE (PREM)
05/06 LIV 1-4 CHE (PREM)
05/06 LIV 0-0 CHE (CL)
04/05 LIV 1-0 CHE (CL)
04/05 LIV 0-1 CHE (PREM)

P10 W4 D3 L3 F10 A10 (Won 40%, Lost 30%)

All of those neatly fall within Rafa's reign. I might normally only include league meetings, but since these are very relevant and the needs of the away side make it such that they want to win, I feel all recent results are relevant. In the Premiership only, Chelsea have won twice and lost twice in their last five visits to Anfield. The form they are in, set to possibly break a Premiership scoring record, they may be unstoppable. If Ancelotti sets out to expose our defence I'm sure Chelsea will. And we have no real firepower to outscore them

Form - last 10 games

Chelsea : P10 W7 D2 L1 F31 A7
Liverpool : P10 W5 D2 L3 F19 A8

In fairness Chelsea's scoring is bolstered by two games in which they scored seven

Perhaps the biggest factor in the outcome of this will be the need to win. whiskeynose is counting on Liverpool pride, but Chelsea determination to win and having a reason to win that doesn't involve doing a hated rival a favour, which surely must trump playing for pride. Sure we beat Blackburn yonks ago and it didn't cost them the title, but we can't rely on that happening again. I hope Rafa rests a few players, one or two minor injuries enough to make it maybe five changes which will not only wind whiskeynose up, but will give us fresh legs - we did play 120 minutes on Thursday and the players are exhausted and deflated. I think whiskeynose having his twopenneth's worth was inevitable, he thinks his hot air is required to try and influence outcomes the way he wants them. Be annoyed Rafa, spite whiskeynose and make yourself a legend
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:38 am

Best of luck Reds - But if you are going to go down - do it fighting. Should we prevail...Then hope for beachball head to rattle fergie's cage and put the spanner in!

:glare:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundalk » Sat May 01, 2010 11:18 am

The chairman wont be at the game

roughton, a life-long Chelsea fan, was appointed Liverpool chairman last month by the club's owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

The British Airways boss has been brought in to oversee the sale of the club and he admits he cannot simply forget about his Chelsea passion.

"Any true fan who has supported a club for 55 years - like I have - can't be expected to suddenly move against them overnight," he said.

"When you have followed a team for as long as I have then it's in the blood. It's a very emotional thing and all fans who have supported Liverpool for a long time will know what I mean.

"I can't come to the match on Sunday and show any of that emotion because that would be very disrespectful to the Liverpool faithful. Liverpool have terrific fans and I wouldn't want to do that, so the only sensible thing is for me to stay at home and watch it on the television.

"I suppose the perfect scenario would be for Liverpool to win this weekend and go on to secure Champions League qualification and then for Chelsea to go on and win the title. That would be great if it were to happen."
Last edited by Dundalk on Sat May 01, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat May 01, 2010 12:09 pm

absoltely torn, either way there's something to smile about :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 01, 2010 12:20 pm

I just hope we play attacking, open football, and not man the barracades hoping to snatch a 1-0 win tomorrow. If we go down then at least we have the comfort of knowing we have fuc.ked the mancs and if we win we can at least enjoy JT crying and having seen a game worth watching. No clever formations no wierd and wonderful tactics, just go out and take the game to them and let the chips fall where they will.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:59 pm

s@int wrote:I just hope we play attacking, open football, and not man the barracades hoping to snatch a 1-0 win tomorrow. If we go down then at least we have the comfort of knowing we have fuc.ked the mancs and if we win we can at least enjoy JT crying and having seen a game worth watching. No clever formations no wierd and wonderful tactics, just go out and take the game to them and let the chips fall where they will.

Exactly, lets just go for the "we'll score one more than you" motto
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mik » Sat May 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Join to Liverpool's Fan Club on fans-book.com :D
mik

Postby mik » Sat May 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Owzat wrote:Well it is the one a lot of us won't mind losing, whether we set out to or not the result may well be beyond our capacity to control anyway!

Last 10 Head to heads at Anfield

08/09 LIV 1-3 CHE (CL)
08/09 LIV 2-0 CHE (PREM)
07/08 LIV 1-1 CHE (CL)
07/08 LIV 1-1 CHE (PREM)
06/07 LIV 1-0 CHE (CL)
06/07 LIV 2-0 CHE (PREM)
05/06 LIV 1-4 CHE (PREM)
05/06 LIV 0-0 CHE (CL)
04/05 LIV 1-0 CHE (CL)
04/05 LIV 0-1 CHE (PREM)

P10 W4 D3 L3 F10 A10 (Won 40%, Lost 30%)

All of those neatly fall within Rafa's reign. I might normally only include league meetings, but since these are very relevant and the needs of the away side make it such that they want to win, I feel all recent results are relevant. In the Premiership only, Chelsea have won twice and lost twice in their last five visits to Anfield. The form they are in, set to possibly break a Premiership scoring record, they may be unstoppable. If Ancelotti sets out to expose our defence I'm sure Chelsea will. And we have no real firepower to outscore them

Form - last 10 games

Chelsea : P10 W7 D2 L1 F31 A7
Liverpool : P10 W5 D2 L3 F19 A8

In fairness Chelsea's scoring is bolstered by two games in which they scored seven

Perhaps the biggest factor in the outcome of this will be the need to win. whiskeynose is counting on Liverpool pride, but Chelsea determination to win and having a reason to win that doesn't involve doing a hated rival a favour, which surely must trump playing for pride. Sure we beat Blackburn yonks ago and it didn't cost them the title, but we can't rely on that happening again. I hope Rafa rests a few players, one or two minor injuries enough to make it maybe five changes which will not only wind whiskeynose up, but will give us fresh legs - we did play 120 minutes on Thursday and the players are exhausted and deflated. I think whiskeynose having his twopenneth's worth was inevitable, he thinks his hot air is required to try and influence outcomes the way he wants them. Be annoyed Rafa, spite whiskeynose and make yourself a legend

Join to Liverpool's Fan Club on fans-book.com :D
mik

Postby rocky29 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:59 pm

am sorry but u have to laugh at the mindset of our manager. Just seen on skysports rafa demanding we should attack against chelsea. Wow rafa positive tactics pity udidnt use the same tactics during our dismall season.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Sat May 01, 2010 6:14 pm

The only way we can still get 4th

win vs Chelsea
win vs Hull
Spurs & Man City to draw
Spurs to lose vs. Burnley
Man City not to win vs. West Ham

Not going to happen.

Why let United get anything out of it
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolusfan » Sat May 01, 2010 8:10 pm

rocky29 wrote:am sorry but u have to laugh at the mindset of our manager. Just seen on skysports rafa demanding we should attack against chelsea. Wow rafa positive tactics pity udidnt use the same tactics during our dismall season.

It happens every year it seems. Conservative style early in the season leads to desperation at the end of the season. It happened last season.

Only when Man Utd. passed the reds did management switch from "not losing" to "going for the win" tactic. But only thing Rafa fans remember from last season is that Liverpool accumulated the most points they ever had in the league. Too bad no one remembers why they had to push so hard to get those points at the end because they had no other option left.

Now we're going to attack the Chelsea's of the world? When it matters least? Yippee.
liverpoolusfan

Postby tubby » Sat May 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Tom and George - Chelsea game
Saturday 1st May 2010

Spirit Of Shankly has received new information that suggests Tom Hicks and George Gillett will not be in attendance for Sunday's game.

As a result, any planned protests have been postponed. However, we would urge all members and fans to be prepared for a change in plans should this information change.

If we do receive any information as to their possible attendance, we will inform you as soon as possible.

Tom and George - Still Not Welcome Here!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat May 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Dundalk wrote:The only way we can still get 4th

win vs Chelsea
win vs Hull
Spurs & Man City to draw

Not going to happen.

this is pretty much my mentality now mate
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Owzat » Sun May 02, 2010 7:22 am

Dundalk wrote:The only way we can still get 4th

win vs Chelsea
win vs Hull
Spurs & Man City to draw

Not going to happen.

Would cap off a sh-1-t season, nice win over Chelsea gifting the mancs four-in-a-row and number 19.

I agree with those saying we should attack, will be very interesting to see who starts where. I can see Kuyt being rested, he put in a lot of effort on Thursday and it took its toll in more ways than one. If Rafa did rest players then I think it would be jusifiable, and I'm not just saying that for a home loss, there wasn't just the 120 mins effort on Thursday but the emotional drain. See how Yossi reacted when he scored, the elation as we looked like we might reach the final, and then the last gasp theft by an ex-manc. Doesn't matter how we feel about the Euro Disney on here, Yossi showed how much it meant to the players as did Aquilani.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun May 02, 2010 7:25 am

liverpoolusfan wrote:
rocky29 wrote:am sorry but u have to laugh at the mindset of our manager. Just seen on skysports rafa demanding we should attack against chelsea. Wow rafa positive tactics pity udidnt use the same tactics during our dismall season.

It happens every year it seems. Conservative style early in the season leads to desperation at the end of the season. It happened last season.

It is the way of the Rafa, it won't change and yet some talk of "patience". That is how he plays, WYSIWYG, and it won't change. If there was any hope of change it was the tailend of last season when our freescoring football was at its peak, but Rafa didn't learn from that and reverted to type. I suspect he took more from the two 4-4s and vowed never to let our defence be exposed again - not that we are watertight at the back.

Topscorers in the league finish top two most of the time, all but once in the Premiership, yet Rafa thinks grinding results out works. Maybe it did at Valencia but this isn't La Liga and the way Barcelona play I doubt Rafa could do it in Spain anymore
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games