LIVERPOOL VS BENFICA 2ND LEG - Thursday 8th april 20.05 k.o

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:00 am

s@int wrote:I think Rafa's approach to many games is one of don't take any chances, don't make any mistakes and hopefully we will get a goal and keep a clean sheet. Against the "big" sides I think this works quite well as they come out and allow us to hit them on the counter, against "small" teams who are quite happy to sit back for the draw, we often struggle as the players aren't adventurous enough to force the game. Certainly in Europe it works a treat, but in the League we often look stilted and lack fluency as its pretty rare that we get behind teams as they sit deeper.   

Tonight I thought we got the balance pretty much spot on, although we still have problems playing the ball out of defense the higher line playing at home gives us more chance of winning the second ball when we hoof it, than when we just sit back. Which is why imo we have problems away from home.

Well i think our biggest problem this season has been the way we start matches . Against the lesser sides we seem to start all guns blazing and if we don't get an early goal the confidence just seems to dwindle out of the team as a whole . Last season we kept at it and never gave in , this season if it doesn't happen in the first 20mins or so it looks like it's never going to happen . Having said that i think all managers send the team out  not to lose . You just hope that the players you put on the park have enough quality to win you the game .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:19 am

Igor Zidane wrote:Well i think our biggest problem this season has been the way we start matches . Against the lesser sides we seem to start all guns blazing and if we don't get an early goal the confidence just seems to dwindle out of the team as a whole . Last season we kept at it and never gave in , this season if it doesn't happen in the first 20mins or so it looks like it's never going to happen . Having said that i think all managers send the team out  not to lose . You just hope that the players you put on the park have enough quality to win you the game .

I agree. And as much as I hate to say it as it makes me look like a fool, thats where Alonso made the difference.

That statement alone makes me look like I pin this seasons disaster compared to last seasons. But the difference is obvious. We have missed Alonso immensely. An on form Alonso, as many of us admitted when he was here is priceless. We need to get a near as dammit replacement for Alonso. The player that can unlock defences. And the reason we are in this position, as much as you yourself Igor hate it as much as many of us, is simply because of rafa. He has made many mistakes, so many more than what he wants to admit to.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 am

Igor Zidane wrote:
s@int wrote:I think Rafa's approach to many games is one of don't take any chances, don't make any mistakes and hopefully we will get a goal and keep a clean sheet. Against the "big" sides I think this works quite well as they come out and allow us to hit them on the counter, against "small" teams who are quite happy to sit back for the draw, we often struggle as the players aren't adventurous enough to force the game. Certainly in Europe it works a treat, but in the League we often look stilted and lack fluency as its pretty rare that we get behind teams as they sit deeper.   

Tonight I thought we got the balance pretty much spot on, although we still have problems playing the ball out of defense the higher line playing at home gives us more chance of winning the second ball when we hoof it, than when we just sit back. Which is why imo we have problems away from home.

Well i think our biggest problem this season has been the way we start matches . Against the lesser sides we seem to start all guns blazing and if we don't get an early goal the confidence just seems to dwindle out of the team as a whole . Last season we kept at it and never gave in , this season if it doesn't happen in the first 20mins or so it looks like it's never going to happen . Having said that i think all managers send the team out  not to lose . You just hope that the players you put on the park have enough quality to win you the game .

The thing is Igor we don't really have that much of a problem at Anfield, its away from home that we have really let ourselves down. 4 WINS is the same as Wolves have and they have scored more goals!

I do agree that in quite a lot of games this season the players have looked like they wern't ready for a battle, and that if things didn't go their way soon enough heads started to drop.
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 am

s@int wrote:its away from home that we have really let ourselves down. 4 WINS is the same as Wolves have and they have scored more goals!

As have

Birmingham
Everton
Wigan
West Ham

Last edited by Dundalk on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:44 am

Well done to all involved tonight, really enjoyed that.

fingers crossed Fernando stays fit as is able to play when we go to Athletico.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Scottbot » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:44 am

Igor Zidane wrote:

Both good posts lads. Saint, deffo on the money with the 'don't take too many chances' approach to our play. Rafa's mantra has always been about maintaining 'control', playing to our pace and our tempo rather than the oppositions. Igor, i'd agree about us coming out of the blocks and attacking in the first 15-20 minutes of games against the lower sides (especially at Anfield) but it's not confidence that has been costing us (of course it plays a part), but has more to do with personnel and team selection. Too few attacking/skill players in the side for so may of our games this season. You can't get the early goal every week so a top side like LFC should be able to keep the ball, build pressure, keep probing, build more pressure, until the oppo cracks. You can only play this way with the likes of Yossi, Babel, Aquilani, Gerrard, Torres and Maxi in the side. Play a team with Carra at Full-back, Kuyt on the right, Maxi out of position on the left with Lucas and Mash in the middle and you simply can't do it. Once the initial blood and thunder of the opening 10-15 minutes has passed without a goal we've been clueless.

Rafa has GOT to be braver. Two of our best performances recently were at home to Pompey and then again to Sunderland. Attacking line-ups in both games. Enough BALL PLAYERS int eh side to make things happen regardless of the formation/set-up, tactics or any of that rubbish. Just having a decent number of clever, technical footballers with decent movement and natural attacking instincts makes all the difference.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:49 am

well well... Rafa's Reds . carrying the European flag for Engerland ay... where have I heard that before ay

Superb performance and result... very proud
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:14 am

Great result which hopefully help  provide a silver lining to a dark season
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 am

A very efficient performance. Solid at the back, clinical on the break.

I'd give MOTM to Kuyt or Kyrgiakos. Kuyt for battling, scoring and then getting that brilliant assist. The Greek because he put in a classic defender's performance, tackles, headers, interceptions, blocks, anticipating and pressuring the opponent, he hardly put a foot wrong all night and alongside the other three we were very good at the back, Agger very much included. Torres wins the special award for being just so damn good at finishing. His first was just excellent follow-up play, the second was different class. The kind of finish that sets him so far apart from others.

Reina got his fists to it when he needed to, Lucas and Masch held the fort well yet made important contributions in attack when they needed to - Lucas for the goal and the odd forward run that we haven't been too used to seeing, Masch for his pass to Benayoun for the third goal and his excellent assist to Torres for the fourth.

Elsewhere, Johnson was quiet but OK overall, while Benayoun - who was generally quiet - showed very good composure to pick out Kuyt for the third.
LFC2007

Postby Fauxy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:06 am

LFC2007 wrote:A very efficient performance. Solid at the back, clinical on the break.

I'd give MOTM to Kuyt or Kyrgiakos. Kuyt for battling, scoring and then getting that brilliant assist. The Greek because he put in a classic defender's performance, tackles, headers, interceptions, blocks, anticipating and pressuring the opponent, he hardly put a foot wrong all night and alongside the other three we were very good at the back, Agger very much included. Torres wins the special award for being just so damn good at finishing. His first was just excellent follow-up play, the second was different class. The the kind of finish that sets him so far apart from others.

Reina got his fists to it when he needed to, Lucas and Masch held the fort well yet made important contributions in attack when they needed to - Lucas for the goal and the odd forward run that we haven't been too used to seeing, Masch for his pass to Benayoun for the third goal and his excellent assist to Torres for the fourth.

Elsewhere, Reina got his fists on it when he needed to, Johnson was quiet but OK overall, while Benayoun - who was generally quiet - showed very good composure to pick out Kuyt for the third.

You mentioned Reina twice ya spaz.  :blush:
Fauxy

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 am

???
LFC2007

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:24 am

And Aquaboy got 3 minutes under his belt. :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shawnk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:26 am

NANNY RED wrote:
Teshie wrote:reina ran to rafa straight after the goal was scored ... anyone see what that was about?

hES ASKED HIM TO SIGN HIM UP FOR SEVEN MORE YEARS  :nod OR HES WON IN THE SWEEP ON LUCAS SCORING AND HES ASKED RAFA TO GET THE ALE IN WHEN THE GAME FINISHES  :nod

No, I think Reina is telling Rafa

Reina: "Hey gaffer, dont forget to celebrate!"
shawnk

Postby blurblur » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:35 am

all insua lovers and supporters read on... this game has clearly showed that the absence of insua clearly makes a big difference... he clearly sucks big time...!!! he offers nothing going forward and gets raped defensively in every game... the 4 top shits at LFC can now be listed as follows and inusa clearly stands at the top of the pile... :D

1. insua (sh.t king)
2. lucas (sh.t advisor)
3. babel (sh.t soldier)
4. riera (sh.t soldier)
blurblur

Postby TheLad » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:38 am

LFC2007 wrote:while Benayoun - who was generally quiet - showed very good composure to pick out Kuyt for the third.

he also started the attack with a clever ball to SG which ended with Lucas hitting the back of the net.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games