Liverpool v Benfica - CL QF 2nd leg, Wed 13 Apr @ 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Eagle » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:02 pm

City in the league, Benfica in the 2nd leg, City in the FA Cup, and then Man Utd in the league. These games are bunched together tightly with only 2 days break between each one before we get a little breather before the derby. So I'd expect some changes what with the exhausting game on Sunday, the fact we have a fully fit squad, a 2 goal lead from the first leg, and the ability to make 5 changes. I'd go for the below assuming no one picked up a knock on Sunday.

Alisson

Trent          Konate          van Dijk          Robertson

Keita          Henderson          Jones

Jota          Firmino          Diaz

Subs: Kelleher, Tsimikas, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Thiago, Milner, Ox, Elliott, Minamino, Mane, Salah
Eagle

Postby redshade » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:44 pm

So Villareal beat Bayern and Madrid beat Chelsea.

Villareal are no mugs but I'd rather them than Bayern.

Trying not to look far ahead but I'd prefer Madrid, Ateletico in the final than City.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am

Nothing should be taken for granted tonight.Benfica are no mugs. Bayern and Juvé probably thought they were in for a comfortable ride and look what happened to them !! If we play up to our usual standard on a European night at Anfield we should get through.

Over the two matches Villarreal had 16 shots with 2 on target and scored 2 goals !! Bayern had 45 shots with 8 on target and scored 1 goal. Bayern only looked particularly threatening  in the second half of the second match. Okay they had more shots but Villarreal certainly everything under control most of the time.  During the two games I found it extremely difficult to work out which team I’d prefer Liverpool to play if we beat Benfica. Overall Bayern never really impressed.

Unai Emery is a canny old fox in European cup games and certainly has to be respected. Having said that his team are currently struggling in the league and over two matches we should certainly have the edge. Mind you Bayern probably thought that !!

COYR

YNWA
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:33 pm

I agree. It’s ridiculous to say that we have an easy draw as next we’re up against the team that just beat Bayern München in the Champions League.
The reason it’s over two legs is UEFA’s way of trying to give the better team the better chance of progressing.
We’re up against a very good side in Villarreal.

I'm really looking forward to this game tonight, I have a special affection for Benfica, one of the old style clubs from the 60's and 70's. We need to rest players for sat'dee so I'd like to see Bobby, Diaz, Keita and Konate start and have the Greek and Smokey Joe ready to come on for Robbo and Trent providing we get at least one goal. If we get a couple then give Ali a break as well. Seems impossible to rest Virg though..

Come on Reds, lets put this game to bed.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:40 pm

Looking at how Villareal celebrated I’d say that was their cup final, not looking past them but we should have no trouble getting to the final. As much as I detest Atletico and the disgusting way they play, I hope they stifle city and progress losing to Real Madrid in the semis. I want revenge for the last time we played them in a final.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:34 pm

On paper, with a two goal lead we are favorites to go through BUT last nights performances in the CL should be a reminder that at this stage of an elite competition nothing is done and dusted until the final whistle.

I'm feeling optimistic about tonight's game but far from complacent. We didn't actually roll over Benfica in the first leg and without that third goal I'd be feeling a lot more nervy.

It's too soon to be talking about who we play next !

BUT

IF we do get through, lets not forget that the next opponents, Villarreal, are no mugs, prior to knocking out Bayern they also dispatched Juventus  !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:40 pm

I don't want to underestimate Benfica, but it's a fact that we're going into this game with a very good result and also a very difficult schedule after this game. While it is an important game, I agree with Eagle's line-up and also think that we should try to save a few players for the following games.

On Villareal, I don't think it will be an easy game, as both Bayern and Juve found out. There's a reason why they reached the semis, they're a decent side with a good manager. Having said that, I'd much rather play them than Bayern. City, us, Bayern, Real and maybe Chelsea are the top teams in Europe right now. We already played City twice and Chelsea three times and we faild to beat at least one of them in regular time. Obviously we're much better playing the tricky lesser sides (like Villareal) than the top sides, so I think we're better off like this than with Bayern.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:50 pm

#LFC line up v Benfica: Alisson, Gomez, Matip, Konate, Tsimikas, Henderson, Milner, Keita, Diaz, Jota, Firmino.

Subs: Kelleher, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Thiago, Mane, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Robertson, Origi, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott.

The dreaded Henderson and Milner combo in midfield. Would have played Jones myself. Also a little more change in the backline than I like. But 5 subs means and a bench full of top quality mitagtes the risk.
Eagle

Postby damjan193 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:54 pm

I agree, I'm all for resting a few but I feel this is a bit much without VVD and both fullbacks out too. And yes, Hendo and Milner in midfield... might end up making this more difficult for us than it should be.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:11 pm

damjan193 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:54 pm wrote:I agree, I'm all for resting a few but I feel this is a bit much without VVD and both fullbacks out too. And yes, Hendo and Milner in midfield... might end up making this more difficult for us than it should be.

Sh*t, looking at that line up ! now I am really concerned.  :(

Front three aside, where's the pace and invention ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:43 pm

Plan B is sitting on the bench. The chosen side will absorb all the first half pressure then Ox, Jones, maybe one of the first teamers will come on to knock a few heads.
Souness, Jimmy case and Terry Mac, they knew how to knock a few heads in Europe when called for...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:25 pm

Konate,great header
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:37 pm

Oh dear poor challenge by milner
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:42 pm

Geez...Bobby not taking the shot could come back to haunt us
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:54 pm

Good first half but Milner is obviously getting too old for this game. He can do a job every now and then but he's just too slow at this level.

Anyway, Benfica got lucky with that goal while we were unlucky not to score another. If we play the same second half we'll likely go through.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games