Liverpool V Sevilla - Europa League Final - Wed May 18th

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 18, 2016 10:26 pm

eds » Wed May 18, 2016 9:17 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 pm wrote:A flat performance is when we don't press teams or apply pressure to them, the first half hour was a non event which basically meant that our pressing game wasn't working.

We pressed in drips and drabs, but to say we had a poor 1st half because we didn't "press" is a bit of an over-reaction.

No it's not, pressing and playing with a high tempo is the absolute key to our game, no matter who we play, wether it's Exeter or Villarreal you can usually tell within the first five minutes how the game is going to go by how we press.
Tonight was just like the Chelsea game last week, players going through the motions and not busting a gut to win the ball back, as soon as I saw the first few minutes I thought to myself this is going to be a long night.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 pm

The blame should fall on Klopp's shoulder as well...why didn't he ring the changes when he saw the stampede is happening right in front of his eyes, until it is too late? Introducing the likes of Lucas to break up their play is exactly hat we need when there was no one steady hand in sight. He didn't reacted to Sevilla's 2nd half reaction quick enough and raw nerve just flow down the rest of the players such as Can and Milner.

It was not only the players that was under performing tonight
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Very poor performance. In the first nine minutes we gave away three or four free kicks in very dangerous positions and Sevilla certanly looked the more threatenng side.Sevilla made our lives very difficult in the first 30 minutes and didn't give us a second on the ball. It took a Sturridge wonder goal to wake us up and we could have gone in at half time with a greater lead than 1-0. In the second half we were pathetic and created nothing.  I am amazed that some people actually think we did alright in the first half and choose to blame some of the decisons for our downfall.

Hate to say it but on the night Sevilla were the better team.
Last edited by devaney on Thu May 19, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Had bit of a bad feeling about this game. Lot of people seemed to be thinking cup was ours before the game but they have a very canny manager in Emery. Would not be surprised to see him inow the premier league soon. Feel gutted at the moment
Doeboy

Postby red till i die!! » Wed May 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Fooking gutted after that  :down: In the first half we looked unbeatable because we won tackles and pressed quickly but all that disappeared in the second. Don't know what they did at HT because that looked nothing like the same team that left the field after the first 45. Total meltdown.

That's it for us this season and at least we had something to keep us hanging till the end.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed May 18, 2016 10:38 pm

devaney » Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 pm wrote:Very poor performance. In the first nine minutes we gave away three or four free kicks in very dangerous positions and Sevilla certanly looked the more threatenng side.Sevilla made our lives very difficult in the first 30 minutes and didn't give us a second on the ball. It took a Sturridge wonder goal to wake us up and we could have gone in at half time with a greater lead than 1-0. In the second half we were pathetic and created nothing.  I am amazed that some people actually think we did alright in the first half a choose to blame some of the decisons for our downfall.

We looked very nervous from the start. I agree studges super goal changed things and if it wasn't for his goal i don't think the players would have got any momentum.

We lost the Midfield battle very easily and were flat throughout the 2nd half.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Wed May 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Moreno will get the brunt of the criticism and rightly so but Coutinho and Firmino played like they were saving themselves for a more important game in 48 hours. Didnt even show the character to try and get on the ball and make something happen. Even Sturridge got excited in patches and dropped to get on the ball and try to create something.

1-0 up at half time, the message should have been to sit deep and try to frustrate them with a bit of possession football. Getting caught out of position from the kickoff is almost criminal and Coutinho deserves a bit criticism for that too. Needed to make them work a bit harder for their breaks all around.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:44 pm

redshade » Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 pm wrote:
devaney » Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 pm wrote:Very poor performance. In the first nine minutes we gave away three or four free kicks in very dangerous positions and Sevilla certanly looked the more threatenng side.Sevilla made our lives very difficult in the first 30 minutes and didn't give us a second on the ball. It took a Sturridge wonder goal to wake us up and we could have gone in at half time with a greater lead than 1-0. In the second half we were pathetic and created nothing.  I am amazed that some people actually think we did alright in the first half a choose to blame some of the decisons for our downfall.

We looked very nervous from the start. I agree studges super goal changed things and if it wasn't for his goal i don't think the players would have got any momentum.

We lost the Midfield battle very easily and were flat throughout the 2nd half.

Agree. They were no pushovers in midfield and was impressed by Krychowiak. N'Zonzi also a big lad and those two were really controlling it in the second half
Doeboy

Postby Santa » Wed May 18, 2016 10:47 pm

We put out a very exciting attacking formation yet we hardly pressed them enough, and hardly any after the break. Our midfielders didn't show up to work today, mind's on a Summer vacation already
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 18, 2016 10:49 pm

red till i die!! » Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 pm wrote:Fooking gutted after that  :down: In the first half we looked unbeatable because we won tackles and pressed quickly but all that disappeared in the second. Don't know what they did at HT because that looked nothing like the same team that left the field after the first 45. Total meltdown.

That's it for us this season and at least we had something to keep us hanging till the end.

Conceding a goal 17 seconds into the second half completely knocked the stuffing out of them. Jurgen had probably spent the previous quarter of an hour telling them to keep it tight for ten minutes and not to do anything stupid and then lo and behold that happens.
When you think about it it actually takes a bit of doing conceding a goal that quickly, I bet if you put together a Newkit forum XI Seville wouldnt score within 17 seconds against us, the final score might end up 50-0 or something but they wouldn't score within 17 seconds of the kick off.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Wed May 18, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Wed May 18, 2016 10:51 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 18, 2016 9:49 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 pm wrote:Fooking gutted after that  :down: In the first half we looked unbeatable because we won tackles and pressed quickly but all that disappeared in the second. Don't know what they did at HT because that looked nothing like the same team that left the field after the first 45. Total meltdown.

Conceding a goal 17 seconds into the second half completely knocked the stuffing out of them. Jurgen had probably spent the previous quarter of an hour telling them to keep it tight for ten minutes and not to do anything stupid and then that happens.
When you think about it it actually takes a bit of doing conceding a goal that quickly, I bet if you put together a Newkit forum XI Seville wouldnt score within 17 seconds against them, the final score might end up 50-0 or something but they wouldn't score within 17 seconds of the kick off.

It only takes one Moreno mate....Surprised the team wasn't mentally prepered for the game.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed May 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Against Dortmund you just felt we can comeback, same with Villareal but todays final when they took the lead their was no optimism that will get back into this.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed May 18, 2016 10:57 pm

The problem with this team lies in its lack of mental strength. Klopp has said before that heads drop too easily and today after a few clangers they team stopped playing.

Moreno is just one of 6 or 7 who need moving on. I take some crumbs of comfort from the fact Klopp has got 2 cup finals out of a very ordinary squad.

The rebuild starts now....
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 18, 2016 10:57 pm

only me » Wed May 18, 2016 9:51 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 18, 2016 9:49 pm wrote:

Conceding a goal 17 seconds into the second half completely knocked the stuffing out of them. Jurgen had probably spent the previous quarter of an hour telling them to keep it tight for ten minutes and not to do anything stupid and then that happens.
When you think about it it actually takes a bit of doing conceding a goal that quickly, I bet if you put together a Newkit forum XI Seville wouldnt score within 17 seconds against them, the final score might end up 50-0 or something but they wouldn't score within 17 seconds of the kick off.

It only takes one Moreno mate....Surprised the team wasn't mentally prepered for the game.

This team did the same thing last year against Villa at Wembley mate, it's very hard to know what Liverpool is going to turn up, this team is capable of some great performances against top sides but it is also liable to throw the towel in.
I guess that's why we are a mid table side.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Wed May 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Sevilla just had a grip on the game In that second half and had a real solidity about them. To be honest, we can make most European teams look poor/average at Anfield because we are so good at home. That was bugging me today, the fact this was  a one off game and there is no home leg. At home, with the crowd behind us, it's almost as though we literally have a couple of extra players on the pitch and maybe sometimes that covers up weaknesses we have
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games