LIVERPOOL FC v Norwich city FC

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm

I don't think Norwich are a poor team. We made them look poor.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:24 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:52 pm wrote:Great game. Flawless really. My MOTM,Gerrard or Henderson.

Suarez for me all day long for MOTM. Never stops. Gives everything. Fantastic goal (does Sturridge get the assist even though he didn't touch the ball).Could easily have gone down late on in the penalty area when's ankle was clipped.

Thought Sturridge, Gerrard, Henderson and Johnson all had great games. Even our Stewie had a superb assist to give Sturridge his first Anfield league goal. Looks like the best £12m we have spent since Xabi Alonso but it is early days.

Man City and Arsenal are going to signpost just how well this projects developing.

Great day and made better by Newcastle and Stoke losing !! Fkg hate both of them with a passion.  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:52 pm

damjan193 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 pm wrote:I don't think Norwich are a poor team. We made them look poor.

We made them look poorer than there are. The reality is that Norwich have only 1 point in 6 games.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52 am wrote:
damjan193 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 pm wrote:I don't think Norwich are a poor team. We made them look poor.

We made them look poorer than there are. The reality is that Norwich have only 1 point in 6 games.

They were on a streak of, what was it, 10 games unbeaten? They finally lost, and they've probably been the worst team in the prem in the last month along with maybe Newcastle.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:52 pm wrote:

They had some though fixtures though.

Anyway, WBA losing at the moment at home against Villa. This could be a better day than I thought.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:07 pm

to be fair to rodgers and the players these games against the likes of norwich, sunderland, fulham and QPR are the types of games where we have struggled in recent seasons but we have sent them all packing over the christmas and new year period.
i thought the whole team played really well today but i was particularly impressed with sturridges ability to bring other players into the game and also hendo`s industry.
where as i thought our midfield looked totally disjointed last week i though the trio of gerrard, lucas and hendo really complimented each other today, granted united are a lot better than norwich but i thought our midfield just had a balance about it this afternoon, there didnt seem to be too many defensive players in midfield or too many attacking players for that matter or too many players of a certain type as i say those 3 just seemed to compliment each others games.
lucas looked more like his old self too.
there are deffo some encouraging signs there but we wont get anywhere unless we start to show that we can beat the better sides in the division as well, looking at the league table there is no better place to start than in north london in a fortnight.
big game that one, if we can win that then we are really in business.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 pm

great win and im pleased to see a number of different goalscorers including Sturridge, but the reality is we have beaten sides of Norwichs level but it dosnt mean anything until we start to pick up points against the good teams, until that happens where still going backwards.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Marvellous win  and just right tonic after last weeks results.

Hopefully we can build on this and push further up the ladder
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Great win by the boys although the irony is not lost on me that a few seasons ago we seemed to struggle against the lower sides but were always competitive against the top ones. Now it's completely the other way around.

If Rodgers fixes up his formation and tactical mistakes of that shambolic 1st half we had against Manure then I reckon we can beat Arsenal in a week and a half's time.  :buttrock
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:43 am

eds » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:39 pm wrote:Great win by the boys although the irony is not lost on me that a few seasons ago we seemed to struggle against the lower sides but were always competitive against the top ones. Now it's completely the other way around.

If Rodgers fixes up his formation and tactical mistakes of that shambolic 1st half we had against Manure then I reckon we can beat Arsenal in a week and a half's time.  :buttrock

yeah it is funny that, that season when rafa finished second we had a great record against the top sides (we beat united and chelsea home and away) and it was the draws at home against the likes of stoke, hull, west ham and fulham that ended up costing us the title.
it wasnt just rafa who had a decent record against the top sides, kenny had a good record too and even roy`s best moments came against chelsea and arsenal.
but now this season the situation is completely reversed, we are comfortably beating the lesser lights of the division but cant get a result against the better sides!
frustrating as hell
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:01 am

Those reversal of results certainly are  frustrating though it was pleasing to hear the stat that we have had 7 clean sheets in last 9 home games. Nice to see fortress walls are beginning to be rebuilt at Anfield
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedHands » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:02 am

What a cracking performance. Hendo MOM for me. Also Brad Jones had a good game. I prefer him over reina at the moment.

I actually think its encouraging that we are sticking it to the lower teams in the league bc we really struggled to beat those teams in the last few years. I think it shows BR's system is working and our performance isn't as dependent upon individual performances. Once we get the right players come in the system the results will start coming against the Manchester clubs.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby alwayslfc » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:46 am

It was good to see BR had the balls to drop an uneffective midfielder that he signed (Allen) for another midfielder that he didn't sign (Hendo). J.Allen should be given a rest and let Henderson continue on.
4 different scorers and an o.g., better this way than one star player scoring all the goals meaning it was a team performance. Newcastle for example depended heavily on Ba and now without him, they're in trouble.
alwayslfc

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 am

Is it me, or does Lucas seem to foul people quite a lot?

I like the fact Rodgers has brought him off in the last two fixtures, especially yesterdays one because under Rafa Lucas was ever present while not always being effective. Lucas was to Rafa, what Allen is to Rodgers but it was good to see Rodgers drop Henderson deeper rather than taking him off and leaving Lucas on. Lucas has disappointed a little, his passing has been sloppy and he seems to give away many silly needless fouls. That would be my only criticism/observation.

I thought yesterdays performance is exactly the kind of displays Rodgers is looking for. And huge credit to him for that. I really hope we play exactly like that down at Arsenal now and in the words of Downing, don't "show them too much respect". I still think as a team we should press our opponents more than we do, this is something which I think has dropped off, since the beginning of the season - but it is more physically demanding than I think people realise.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 am

In response to Kenny Kan... Yeah Lucas does tend to give away some fouls.  Always has, but in this formation when the fullbacks are 20 yards further upfield than he is he's going to.  And it's the smart play.  Rather give up a free kick 35 yards out than give up a golden chance on the counter with Carra trying to race back covering two attackers.

As to your thoughts on wishing we pressed a bit more.  Like we did early on in the season.  Well, I think the results pretty much speak against that.  We had our worst league start since well, pretty much ever.  We were being beaten on the counter non stop.  I think the lack of pressing has helped with sorting out the issues in the final defensive third.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games