Who will win the title - No dream stuff just honesty

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:43 pm

Kash_Mountain wrote:I'm going to put a tenner on this JC.   Should get very good odds on this and when Wigan finish 4th I'll by everyone a round.  :D

With the winnings you'd get if you put a tenner on Wigan finishing 4th you could buy everyone a pub let alone a round! :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PureLoneWolf » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:45 pm

I honestly believe we can do it.  Lets not forget that (I think) from October last year, we got more points than Chequeski.  For me it is all down to how we start this season, another bad start and its 2nd for us, start well and I believe we will do it.

Shevchenko and Ballack don't scare me as much as their names suggest they should.  The Bundesliga, whilst a physical league in a similar vein to ours, doesn't play at the temp or aggression level that the Premiership has, and Shev has never (i don't think) played in a league like ours.  Dreary Wednesday night at Bramall Lane or Woodison anyone?

If Shev and Ballack had arrived a few years ago, I would be seriously worried.  But they smack of Abramovich signings rather than MaureenHo's.  Roberto Carlos is being touted next for them...long may it continue.  For players to come in at 30 years old, to a league the likes of which they have never played in, and have to adapt - I am not so sure it will be all rosy for them.  Couple that with the fact that to play Ballack and Lumpard, he is almost forced to use the diamond that he deployed SO well against us in the FA Cup semi ;)

There is no doubting Shev/Ballacks class, I am just saying that I don't feel it will be as easy as the Chavski fans would want to believe.

So mine would be

1. Liverpool
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Man U

Man U seem to be turning into Newcastle..."We are bidding 25 mil for Torres, 16 for Carrick etc etc etc"  This is a team plunged into how many hundred million of debt?  Reminds me of Freddy Sheppard saying that they had tabled a bid for Rooney lol.  Add RVN leaving and they are in serious trouble.

As for the injuries thing, isn't there a stat that shows over the last few seasons that we won more (on a percentage basis) with Stevie G out than we did with him on the pitch?  With the options we have in midfield, its an area that doesn't concern me massively.

Just my opinion - 4 post - so flame away :blues:
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

"If we lose the ball up front, if the opposition player manages to get past our forwards, and then get past me, its ok, cos I know Carra's behind me, and they aint getting past him" - Stevie G
PureLoneWolf

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:28 pm

i honestly believe we can do it this time round, whilst chelski might have the money we have the better manager and players who want to play for us and not just here for the money.

bring it on.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Kev Huyton 2006 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:44 pm

It's going to be all about CONSISTENCY!

Do we have a good enough squad now to win most games, and put good runs together?

for example, the first ten games, regardless of new signings...... if we win 3, draw 4, lose 3. etc. then we can forget any title.

winning the league is all about consistency.  end of.
Kev Huyton 2006

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:43 am

we done 10 with out conceding a goal now we can do 20 :laugh:
Kopite-Jud

Postby taff » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:16 am

I can only go for us. I put my bet on every year regardless of form, players bought etc.  What the hell I genuinely believe it will be us
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:36 am

taff wrote:I can only go for us. I put my bet on every year regardless of form, players bought etc.  What the hell I genuinely believe it will be us

Me too, Taff..... me too....

Can't bear to wager someone else will win it. Year after year, regardless of anything, "us to win" is always me 1st bet.

Believe it folks.... No 19 is on the way home...   :D  :buttrock
ConnO'var

Postby taff » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:44 am

Too right

This Rafa fella is something special, I feel like Uncle Bob is Back  :bowdown
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:03 am

Thinking about our main threat, if he had any brains at all, Moris would solve all of his problems with a simple adaption to Sh*tski's formation:

Go from 4-5-1 to 3-6-1.

It sounds daft, but think about it this way - their main weaknesses are to be found at full-back, yes?
A 3-man defence removes those weaknesses, and also allows the extra man in midfield.
If the man had more than a coconut shard between his tabs, I'd expect Moris to use this line-up next season:

Prince Charming

Grotbags       Face-lift boy        Own-goal Fairy

Stunted French dwarf                 Bones
Greg Louganis                                  Firestarting Flipper fan
                     B*llock           Jabba the Frank

Doe-eyed prat.

Key:

Prince CHarming - Petr Cech. The man's charm, wit and intelligence is surely unparalleled in all of... his shed.

Grotbags: Possibly a little harsh. Grotbags had more style and a better hairdo, but this, my friends, is Carvalho. The f*cking GIRL.

Face-lift boy: Terry. Looks like he's done a Wildenstein.

Own goal Fairy: Gallas. Good defender, but don't ask the idle b*stard to stretch his leg to stop the ball hitting the back of the net. Unless it's against LFC. B*stard.

Stunted French Dwarf: Needs no introduction. (But fo rth ethick tw*ts out there, it's Makalele.)

Bones: Leg-breaker extraordinaire,  Mr Michael Essien. Cowardly w*nker.

Greg Louganis: Ex-Olympic diving champion.

Firestarting Flipper fan: Joe "Oooh, a blade of grass!" COle. Goes down quicker than Moris in a YMCA shower-room.

B*llock: Michael Ballack. The stupid, stupid b*stard. He's definately dropped one.

Jabba The Frank: Long-time lover of Moris, fatter than a 32 stone schoolgirl's thighs, and only slightly worse at football. Brain the size and density of a tomato seed.

Doe-eyed prat: Shevchenko. Silly tw*t who jumped ship when the going got rough. Will fall on his a*se in England, just like Morientes.
Except for the price-tag.

You've got to admit - they'd be a better team if they lined up like that, PLUS, they'd be easier to shoot.  :;):  :eyebrow  :D
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PureLoneWolf » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:46 am

You know Lando - I really hate it when people sit on the fence and refuse to give opinions....Tell us what you think ffs....

That said, we are thinking along the same lines, especially about the doe-eyed pratt.  30 years old is not a good time to come to the premiership - Morientes is the perfect example

I personally don't see him risking 3 at the back, they aren't that strong to begin with to survive that in my opinion
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

"If we lose the ball up front, if the opposition player manages to get past our forwards, and then get past me, its ok, cos I know Carra's behind me, and they aint getting past him" - Stevie G
PureLoneWolf

Postby Mark 23 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:07 am

PureLoneWolf wrote:I honestly believe we can do it.  Lets not forget that (I think) from October last year, we got more points than Chequeski.  For me it is all down to how we start this season, another bad start and its 2nd for us, start well and I believe we will do it.

Shevchenko and Ballack don't scare me as much as their names suggest they should.  The Bundesliga, whilst a physical league in a similar vein to ours, doesn't play at the temp or aggression level that the Premiership has, and Shev has never (i don't think) played in a league like ours.  Dreary Wednesday night at Bramall Lane or Woodison anyone?

If Shev and Ballack had arrived a few years ago, I would be seriously worried.  But they smack of Abramovich signings rather than MaureenHo's.  Roberto Carlos is being touted next for them...long may it continue.  For players to come in at 30 years old, to a league the likes of which they have never played in, and have to adapt - I am not so sure it will be all rosy for them.  Couple that with the fact that to play Ballack and Lumpard, he is almost forced to use the diamond that he deployed SO well against us in the FA Cup semi ;)

There is no doubting Shev/Ballacks class, I am just saying that I don't feel it will be as easy as the Chavski fans would want to believe.

So mine would be

1. Liverpool
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Man U

Man U seem to be turning into Newcastle..."We are bidding 25 mil for Torres, 16 for Carrick etc etc etc"  This is a team plunged into how many hundred million of debt?  Reminds me of Freddy Sheppard saying that they had tabled a bid for Rooney lol.  Add RVN leaving and they are in serious trouble.

As for the injuries thing, isn't there a stat that shows over the last few seasons that we won more (on a percentage basis) with Stevie G out than we did with him on the pitch?  With the options we have in midfield, its an area that doesn't concern me massively.

Just my opinion - 4 post - so flame away :blues:

I like what you are saying, I think that 2 years from now, a league title in the bag, and a few quality signing, we could actually say the board has done us a good job.  They aren't going for the quick fix, the risky venture that will lead to problems later on.

The mancs are in :censored: street now, the Glaziers had to refinance the debt apparently, and the Chelsea system is set to implode by Christmas.  If it is true about Roman going over the manager's head to sign players he wants then, prehaps we were right not to take on Steve Morgan as a major player on the board because he is a fan first.  A bit like that :censored: over at Goodison, Kenwright.

With all that is going on at other club's, and what Taff said about 'Rafa being special', I think we are on to a winner.  The problem last season was that we were poor until Crystal Palace dumped us out the cup, and that shook us up.  We need to hit top form without anything like that happening.  That fateful Tuesday night had me thinking we were in for another season of :censored: results, but I was proved wrong.

I believe if we get Alves/Pennant & the striker we need (insert a load of names), then we are in business.  I remember when Gerrard injured his metatarsel during Rafa's first season and Alonso really stepped up.  We have a better win ratio without Gerrard, and some pundits believed that the team often relied too much upon Steve.  It was almost a case of Stevie will sort it.

I fancy Bellamy as top goalscorer next season, with Arsenal in a transition period, Henry won't bag that many, RVN is going elsewhere, Owen is crocked, Defoe not getting many games, and then the carry on at Chelsea in terms of strikers.  Might stick a tenner on it.  I don't see Balack playing much next season.  He is just there for the money, I don't think he has the body to do the bsuiness week in, week out in the Premiership.
Mark 23

Postby Gen Ming » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:53 am

1. Liverpool
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Man U

Passion is the key!
Gen Ming

Postby tubby » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:59 am

ConnO'var wrote:
taff wrote:I can only go for us. I put my bet on every year regardless of form, players bought etc.  What the hell I genuinely believe it will be us

Me too, Taff..... me too....

Can't bear to wager someone else will win it. Year after year, regardless of anything, "us to win" is always me 1st bet.

Believe it folks.... No 19 is on the way home...   :D  :buttrock

If we stay injury free and we get off to a good start..with a bit of luck here and there im sure we all firmly belive we can do it!

But as someone quite rightly said earlier with all the money Chelsea have spent its theirs to lose as opposem to the rest of the teams to win.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:34 am

I mostly agree with that analysis on Chelsea. I feel though that Ballack and Shevchenko will play more than the others. I think that they are likely to go with Ballack playing behind Shevchenko leaving four in midfield behind them. That would mean Lampard, Makelele, Essien and any one of their wide players. Having said that I don't particularly care who they sign or who they field, nor for that matter I care about any of the other teams in the Premiership.

As far as winning the Premiership goes, I agree that Chelsea won't have it all their own way. I firmly believe that we have a great chance to win it and I also felt that we had a fairly decent chance last season irrespective of how other teams played or whoever they signed. I think in the end it simply came down to either scoring or not conceding about six goals. That would have made all the crucial difference. Ask Rafa and he will tell you exacly what I mean. LOL.

I think we have a great squad of players and exciting times surely lay ahead. Rafa's rebuilding is nearly complete and the squad is full of quality players with experience and technical ability. On top of that we also seem to have some very promising young players. Rafa wants to create a team like the one he had at Valencia before he came here. If we play to our potential then I am sure it is only a matter of time before we are compared to his old Valencia team. Now that is an exciting thought..
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:58 am

the usual 4 suspects, but with interest from spurs
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion