Who will win the title - No dream stuff just honesty

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:04 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:Stevie G and Carra as well as a few of the other lads need one trophy to complete their personal trophy case. The one I'm on about is the league. So with that said it is obvious it will be our year.

Yup, might as well hand us the league trophy right now.  Stevie and Carra are collectors, you see, and will not be denied!  Carra just this month completed his "teams of the top flight" commmerative plate collection so he's totally focused on the league cup now!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:26 pm

The start we have is crucial, we need to start well this time as it cost us badly last year.

All depends how quickly the new signings can bed down into the side - that's five we've signed already and probably still a striker to come.

We'll be the closest to Chelsea who will be the favourites obviously.  But we're in with a shout, no doubt about that.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:10 pm

john craig wrote:The start we have is crucial, we need to start well this time as it cost us badly last year.

All depends how quickly the new signings can bed down into the side - that's five we've signed already and probably still a striker to come.

We'll be the closest to Chelsea who will be the favourites obviously.  But we're in with a shout, no doubt about that.

totally agree....all comes down to our start !  If all the new signings can adapt to liverpool's style of play...especially gozales and bellamy....we can mount a serious title challenge ! ManUtd are'nt as bad as aome say they are (much as i hate to admit it) they probably have the best wingers and fullbacks in the league and are always a threat to any title contender ! That said, i still think that the league is Liverpool's if chelsea stumble(which i expect) ! arsenal have a strong squad, with their new stadium and all, should do well in the beggining of the season but will crash and burn come christmas imo !
1st: Liverpool
2nd: Chelsea
3rd: ManUtd
4th: Arsenal
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fanatic dee » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:46 pm

I really think we can do it this year. There has been a good dip into the transfer market over the summer from Rafa.
Still think we need another striker, maybe we can pick up a good target man who has good quality on the deck.
A good start is essential, if we had achieved this last season we could have already had a premiership in the bag.
I think every player at the club knows what is expected of them and the league is a priority this season.
1.Liverpool
2.Chelski
3.Arsenal, hopefully may be Spurs to push 'the other lot' out of the Champions League places.

:laugh:
"People say to me you treat football as if it's a matter of life or death, I say to them it's more important than that".

*****THE MIGHTY REDS*****
fanatic dee

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:07 pm

fanatic dee wrote:Still think we need another striker, maybe we can pick up a good target man who has good quality on the deck.

You have just described Peter Crouch. A target man who is good on the deck. So why waste money on something we have already got?

I'm not Peter Crouch's biggest fan but he is still good on the floor and a very good target man. If Crouch was to go then I'd have no objection with us going out and buying a target man but while Crouch is still at Anfield we don't need another big feller.

I think we need to wait until January to buy another player. But come on January we might be out of the title race so we're not going to get world class stars, we will have to do with the lesser players. BTW I don't think we will be out of the title race by January, in fact I think we will be heading the table going into the New Year and will still be heading it after the last game of the season.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby flipmode » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:35 pm

Liverpool star Luis Garcia is hoping to prove Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wrong and mount a serious title challenge this season.

Mourinho taunted Liverpool in the aftermath of the FA Cup semi-final defeat to Rafa Benitez's men that The Reds could not compete with Chelsea in The Premiership.

Garcia is unfazed by Mourinho's mind games and is confident Liverpool can fight Chelsea for the Premiership crown this term.

"Jose Mourinho said after we beat them in the FA Cup semi-final that we have no chance this season," Garcia told Sky Magazine.

"We know what Mourinho is like. He enjoys provoking others to motivate his own players, but he's a great coach who is doing good work in London.

"All I can say is that I hope his predictions for next season are wrong and that Liverpool will be champions."

"Why shouldn't we believe we can catch Chelsea and win the Premiership title this season?

"We beat them in two semi-finals and that wasn't down to luck.

"Last season we recognised that Chelsea had the strongest, most consistent team and were worthy champions.

"But in each of my first two years at Liverpool I have won a trophy - the Champions League and the FA Cup.

"This year I would like the league title."
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AwiLas » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:48 pm

Chelsea just buy Shevchenko and Ballack to scare the sh*t out of their potential challengers, like Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool.. If they are to scare us, that means they are scared of us.. Shevi and Ballack are going to play in the EPL.. That's also physical football.. Remeber Lucas Neill.?. He can do the job for us.. I mean, Lucas can make Shevi's presence in Egland like a trip for holiday, staying at home and watching football, with a casted leg.. You know wht I mean rite.?. Cheers..
AwiLas

Postby ALONSO » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:42 pm

We will. This is the year chelsea fall apart. Abromavich doesn't get his hands on the champions league trophy and leaves. Chelsea are too busy trying to be celebrities, everyone now knows they're beatable look at middlesbrough. Arsenal are losing Ashley cole and rely on Henry who no longer has any stamina. United have sold there best striker and paid 14 mil plus for a midfielder who is nowhere near as good as Gerrard etc.. This is our year.
ALONSO

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:14 pm

Henry no longer has stamina...since when ?! If you ask me... henry is the best football player in the world....him and gerrard since im a liverpool fan and all ! keep it real ! i think we'r getting there...the league is ours next season if chelsea stumble...  Shevchenko and ballack are really good players and chelsea are lucky to have such talent in their squad ! Liverpool made some good signings but still need one more ! ManUtd are always way up there but still need to find a striker to replace VanNistelrooy..if they dont, they'r screwed ! Same with Arsenal...except they need to find a defender to replace campbell. For the last couple of years or so.. Arsenal have been playing the best football in the world (them, barcelona and Roma) , but are yet to win a major trophy with chelsea the stronger side in london . Liverpool all the way. 1st !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:05 am

Liverpool

Next Question?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:00 pm

I think its between us, arsenal and chelsea. I dont reckon united with there current squad but they are looking to strengthen. Arsenal have lost Pires, Campbell and maybe Cole so maybe they won't be that strong.
I doubt we will beat chelseas points total of the previous seasons but hopefully now it's proven they're beatable other teams will put up a better fight and chelsea won't score so highly either. I reckon its gonna be close. Its our best chance in a long while.
ALONSO

Postby Kev Huyton 2006 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:40 pm

The key to winning the season is one word........CONSISTENCY.

We cannot afford to lose more than 4 games in total I would say.

If we don't focus on winning every game, early on, then you can easily blow the title in the first ten games.

I hope Rafa just picks his best 11, and doesnt change it round too much.

we need to win 7 of the first ten games. if say, we had a bad start and won 4, draw 4 and lost 2, then we are already going to be losing ground on the leaders.

Cheslea also have to maintain last seasons form, but that is another story.
Kev Huyton 2006

Postby aCe' » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:14 am

Chelsea have a brilliant forward line now that they have signed shevchenko... and i see them scoring ALOT more than they were last season.... defensively, they might not be as good now that they'v signed ballack and are more than likely to bench Makelele or Essien more ofter ! i still think they will be taking it all the way !
Only way i see liverpoool topping that table is if we can perform way above expectations and start a winning form starting from sheff's game... getting more than one point from our two chelsea games  .. and having good results against the other top teams... i think we can do that.... can see us winning that title if we have a good start....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:50 am

who can argue with Champions league, fa cup, and perhaps the league
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:40 am

A lot will depend on how other teams perform with their new recruits.

Chelsea
There is no doubt that Schevchenko is probably going to set the prem on fire he is pure class.
But Crespo has left now and I hope Gallas leaves and that will make their back 4 very shaky because he was a protector and made Terry look better than he actually is, and I hope they dont sign Ashley Cole, even though Wayne Bridge is still an excellent player.
I hope Maureen cannot control all the ego's at Stamford Bridge, and they all kick off and start bad mouthing him even though his ego is bigger than Chelsea itself.
One things for sure he wont be able to treat Schevencho or Ballack like he has done with SWP, because they will be off like a shot, money or no money.
I think their main priority will be the CL this season anyway.

Man U

Well whos going to get them 25 goals this season?
Big mistake letting the horse go IMO, Ronaldo will face a tirade of abuse that is going to effect some of his performance's.
Rooney and Scholes banned for the first 3 games, could see them not getting off to a good start, plus Rooney is still not match fit.
Carrick 18 million Hargreaves 17 million, 35 million spent on two midfielders  :sniffle
That are not even world class, but United are jammy buggers, they will grind out results like they always do, even though they havent brought in to many recruits for the new campaign write that shower off at your peril, Whiskey nose will have them fired up this season, not because of Chelsea but because he wont wont us back on our fucking perch.

Arsenal

Hmmmm, new stadium 94 quid to watch the gunners, its no Highbury, where most teams have failed to get a result in the past.
Henry wanting out is not hungry anymore, Rosicky is an excellent player though, just depends if he can fit in will the Gunners attacking style of play?
Sol Cambell gone, Reyes wanting a move to Madrid, Cole whoreing himself to Chelsea.
I think they might struggle this season, their defence is not the best around, they still havent replaced Viera, have to wait and see the outcome..................

Liverpool

Depends on how quick our new recruits settle, we must not get to carried away, because weve beaten Chelsea in a Cup game again, Its the league we need to start taking points off them.

Our team look like a team, something I am over the moon with.
We finally have a right winger, we paid over the odds for but there you go, I just hope Rafa can keep all the forwards happy, and Bellamy doesnt throw a wobbler when he's not picked.
But we have so many games, so much to play for so we need a big squad and not just riff raff filling the subs bench, but quality.
And I think we have that now.
I dont want to say now we have Kuyt we have the last piece of the jigsaw, because weve been saying that for years this jigsaw should be in the guiness book of records cause its took years to complete.

One things for sure more tropheys will be heading to Anfield this season, but which ones they will be is far to early to say.
One game at a time, I want our players to keep their mouths shut, over title aspirations, those who laugh last, laugh longest.
Last edited by Ciggy on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion