Who can tell me the truth? - About Michael Owen's departure

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby liamac » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:41 am

Thing is as ive said before , Owen wasnt a supporter of Liverpool , he was a toffe nose as a lad .
As has been said , if he had been harbouring feelings of wanting to leave  then he should of said  and not left it until the last possible moment before the  transfer window shut.
As in other threads about him , id be really glad if he is moved on from Real , its like sweet justice for what he did and the way he went about leaving > he promised he would never do a Macca, he didnt , but he new when he went that we would get f.uck all for him and that we wouldnt be able to get a replacement until now , yet he still did it...............he still loves the club?  my@rse he does.
People say they still want him back and that they still respect him, we all have our own point of view and we should all respect  that, but for me  i cant stand  it when   there is such a sense of  being shat  on  and then he  has the nerve to say "but i still love Liverpool" .......f.uck off  do you
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby Tobin*LFC* » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:43 am

yer nice post he only saying that cuz he cnt get a game 4 madrid the ponce:) :)
You'll Never Walk Alone..
Tobin*LFC*

Postby liamac » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:32 am

no its probably cos he realised he made a  massive mistake
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:29 am

Woollyback wrote:Ale again is it Jonny?  :D

Surprisingly not Wool, no.

Had a bit of a riotous holiday season and am still recovering from a little virus attack last week so I'm off the booze until Saturday.  The missus is going out with my Mum, her sisters and all my girlie cousins and aunties etc.... for a bit of a jolly up.....

That means all the men are free to go out on the sauce.  Hopefully starting early.
jonnymac1979

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:36 am

Real didn't have all the leverage, Owen did. smart by him, stupid of LFC to let it get to that stage, should have made him sign the summer before or sell him for £20m. they learnt a bit from mcmanamann but not enough.

They should learn from Michael Owen when dealing with SG.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:43 am

I think there is a complete misperception of the Owen situation:

1. Owen left for £8million PLUS Nunez. Why does everybody seem to forget the Nunez part? The value of Nunez at the time is in debate: I have heard that Madrid valued him at £5million whereas Liverpool valued him at around £3million. Either way Owen's true transfer value was between £11million to £13million, both significantly better than the misquoted £8million figure.

2. Owen had less than a year left on his contract. A transfer value of between £11m to £13m for a guy who has a single season left on his contract is extremely good business by the club. Ok, Owen may have been worth £20m to £25m if he was in mid contract, depending on his form and the market place, but with a season left, what we got for him was good business.

3. Ok, so maybe we should have sold me mid contract then, some people might say, and get the £20m to £25million. However, its not that easy. Owen said he was harbouring thoughts of going last season: thats different from saying that he was definitely going. In fairness to Owen, as early as the aftermath of the 1998 World Cup, he said he'd like to play on the Continent some day. It was no secret. He said all along last season that he was confident he'd say, but stated that he hadn't decided 100%. He said all along that he wouldn't leave Liverpool in the lurch by going for free, and he stuck to his word.

4. Neither Liverpool nor Owen knew last season what was happening. Owen wasn't 100% happy professionally. He admitted that he loved Liverpool and said that he could easily have finished his career there, but he eventually decided that he needed a new start, professionally speaking.

5. I also felt that Liverpool needed a new direction other than Owen. Owen is top class, on his day, world class, but his form in the last 2 seasons for Liverpool was patchy and he was getting increasingly injury prone. Who knows what would have happened had Owen stayed, but there were many here last summer on this forum who were advocating we look at alternatives to Owen.

Owen didn't screw us: he kept his word and left for a transfer fee, rather than a Bosman. He gave us some great memories, but life goes on.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby qibao0729 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Ha, how do you Anfield Road?

Sounds like a verb!!!

(Only kidding qibao0729) :D  :laugh:  :D

sweat bullets |||`~~``||~` :;):

i'm making a push at learning~~~
qibao0729

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:05 pm

:D :laugh: :D
jonnymac1979

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:24 pm

qibao0729 wrote:
jonnymac1979 wrote:Liverpool Football Club will still be there when you wake up the next morning.  Don't forget that's what is most important.

yeah, i  must be her fan for ever,no matter what will happen in futher.

we call LFC  'Hong Jun' ;which just the saviors of our country,so i have a special reason to love her.:blush:

Hope i'll have the chance to Anfield Road myself.that must be crazy.
and you're so lucky to be born as a Liverpudlian.

:D How do you anfield road yourself? ???  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby qibao0729 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:33 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
qibao0729 wrote:
jonnymac1979 wrote:Liverpool Football Club will still be there when you wake up the next morning.  Don't forget that's what is most important.

yeah, i  must be her fan for ever,no matter what will happen in futher.

we call LFC  'Hong Jun' ;which just the saviors of our country,so i have a special reason to love her.:blush:

Hope i'll have the chance to Anfield Road myself.that must be crazy.
and you're so lucky to be born as a Liverpudlian.

:D How do you anfield road yourself? ???  :D

:oh:
.......the same kidding...

FAINT~     
qibao0729

Postby ronmeister » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Cant say i blame owen for leaving myself, GH was not getting the best out of him ,Get one goal and shut up shop is not good for a striker of his class and no matter what pple say he is still one of the best strikers in the world just look at his record.Sometimes you just have to hurt the one you love and i dont doubt Owen loved Liverpool , i wish him all the best (lol would still love to beat madrid in CL final with him in the madrid team though)
ronmeister

Postby kopite301046 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:15 pm

The Owen chapter is closed maybe he will look back one day and rue his decision,only time will tell.
kopite301046

Postby qibao0729 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:46 pm

maybe he has rued  :Oo:
qibao0729

Postby mistyred » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:14 pm

Maybe owens gone and doesnt need to be discussed.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:36 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Either way Owen's true transfer value was between £11million to £13million, both significantly better than the misquoted £8million figure.

but with a season left, what we got for him was good business.

3. Ok, so maybe we should have sold me mid contract then, some people might say, and get the £20m to £25million.

In fairness to Owen, as early as the aftermath of the 1998 World Cup, he said he'd like to play on the Continent some day. It was no secret.

Owen didn't screw us: he kept his word and left for a transfer fee, rather than a Bosman. He gave us some great memories, but life goes on.

Granny,
Whether the fee for Owen was £8m or £13m it was still not good business. You are quite correct that Owen had always said he would like to play abroad at some stage in his career, with that in mind Parry and Moores should have had a better game plan prepared for the eventual day when he left.
Owen, was worth at least £25m.
Why did they allow themselves to be backed into a corner where they did not have enough time for a proper auction.
Foolishly, I think they thought that Owen would stay for another two years, blinded by their 'family values' and sense of tradition, they had forgotten the Macmanaman lesson and the fact that the players have agents who have no respect for loyalty.
I am sorry, they were caught again with their trousers down, ready for the 'traditional shafting' from Real Madrid !!
This is one of the reasons why I feel that we need to refresh the Business Management of the club, Moores and Parry should move to one side and bring in some 'sharper knives for the draw'.
They have both had a good run and the nature of the game is becoming much more hard-nosed, if we are to compete at the highest level we need the sharpest and best in every department !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion